Towing 2024 Equinox - Air Shuttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woundedpig

Reaction score
We have a 2024 Chevy Equinox, purchased in late 2023. Trying to determine equipment for towing. I've read about the lower air shutter limitation in installing certain baseplates, but I'm wondering if our vehicle actually has the lower shutters. Here are four pix. In the lower part of the grill, there appears to be an intercooler. Behind the upper part of the grill, I can see what looks like some type of louvre or shutter (hard to get good picture of). My 2024 looks like this front end shot of an install video on Youtube.

I'm wondering if I have the lower air shutter at all.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Equinox shuttle from Youtube install.png
    Equinox shuttle from Youtube install.png
    502.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Upper grill area2.jpeg
    Upper grill area2.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 7
  • Upper grill area1.jpeg
    Upper grill area1.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 7
  • My lower grill area.jpeg
    My lower grill area.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 7

Moonwink

Reaction score
Follow the recommendations in the owner's manual to stay out of trouble with your warranty. I'm thinking of buying an Equinox and my goal is to tow it behind my motorhome. I haven't looked at any of them as new as yours. I saw the 2018 model can be towed so I'm concentrating my search with them. The owner's manual is the final word on weather one can be towed or not. Towing with the shutters closed cause the transmission to overheat.

rideaway

Reaction score
Follow the recommendations in the owner's manual to stay out of trouble with your warranty. I'm thinking of buying an Equinox and my goal is to tow it behind my motorhome. I haven't looked at any of them as new as yours. I saw the 2018 model can be towed so I'm concentrating my search with them. The owner's manual is the final word on weather one can be towed or not. Towing with the shutters closed cause the transmission to overheat.
I thought the 2018 could be towed as well, but in the owners manual it says only FWD and the Diesel model can be towed. I found this out after I bought it so lost $2000 on trading it in plus had to pay an additional $7000 on a newer 2021 model that wasn't in as good condition as the 2018. I'm sure they are the same but have to go by what the owners manual says, until someone is willing to take the chance and try the 2018 AWD model.

rideaway

Reaction score
We have a 2024 Chevy Equinox, purchased in late 2023. Trying to determine equipment for towing. I've read about the lower air shutter limitation in installing certain baseplates, but I'm wondering if our vehicle actually has the lower shutters. Here are four pix. In the lower part of the grill, there appears to be an intercooler. Behind the upper part of the grill, I can see what looks like some type of louvre or shutter (hard to get good picture of). My 2024 looks like this front end shot of an install video on Youtube.

I'm wondering if I have the lower air shutter at all.

Thoughts?
Your 2024 appears to not have the shutters. My 2021 did have the shutters but I had to remove them as there is no base plate that fits with the lower active shutters in place, even though E-trailer said the Curt base plate does fit with the lower shutters on, that is incorrect. I have been in contact with curt, and they are looking into it as they have never actually seen an Equinox with the lower shutters like mine had, so don't know why they were saying it fits.

woundedpig

Reaction score
Yes, I have confirmed that no lower air shuttle is there. My current quandary is whether I can use a Roadmaster Guardian rock guard, which mounts on the crossbar just in front of the grill. The manual says no, but I don't understand how this would be a problem for the transmission airflow, since with the battery disconnected, there would be no lubrication pump running. The new manual insert (about the battery disconnect and new tow procedures) truncates before this part of the manual. It is still advised to run the engine a few minutes at the start of the day and at fuel stops. We travel to Alaska and offroad and need rock protection. I would prefer the Guardian over the Tow Defender, as the TD would cover the LED's of my Nighthawk towbar and the TD gets filthy. ?Thoughts

Members online

No members online now.