Need Help with Screwed-up 2024 Factory Ordered Equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteDolfin

Reaction score
Aloha folks!
I could really use some help! 😩
I'll keep this as short as possible - I ordered a 2024 Equinox Premier that did NOT arrive as I had ordered it! (I had to order it as all of our local dealers have such low inventory - NO Premiers.)
Basically, Chevy decided it was going to cheat me and NOT install the advertised, standard equipment hands-free liftgate on the vehicle. Instead they installed the cheaper (RS style) NOT hands-free liftgate! 😡
Supposedly this happened because I got the vehicle with the Redline Edition package! (I still don't understand the reasoning behind this.) I was NOT told about this equipment change at any point while ordering.
I did not discover the "bait and switch" until a day after I took delivery of the vehicle. (I had come from a 2020 Blazer RS, where the hands-free option had to be turned on in the Settings.)
Even though I am a 'three-peat' customer, my lovely Chevy dealer has said there's nothing they can do. I have been on the phone 5 times with GM Customer Assistance - who also ended up telling me there's nothing they can do. 🤬

I'm hoping that someone on the Forum can give me some advice - and maybe direct contact info with an actual GM/Chevy management person.
(I've tried to get this info myself - the Execs are hidden behind coded email addresses. I wrote to one Chevy Exec who's on LinkedIn - it's been almost a month, and I haven't heard back from him.)

Thank you VERY much in advance for your help!!! 🤙

ricklack

Reaction score
I wasn't aware they were offering Redline again. Do you have red outlined door badges? They screwed up and put them on my 2022 RS - I have not heard of anyone else with them so far.

20220731_120634.jpg
Sucks that you didn't get what you ordered. I imagine it would take months to get the correct model? Sorry I have no better advice. BTW, I like my crappy RS powered liftgate lol

WhiteDolfin

Reaction score
I wasn't aware they were offering Redline again. Do you have red outlined door badges? They screwed up and put them on my 2022 RS - I have not heard of anyone else with them so far.

View attachment 2250
Sucks that you didn't get what you ordered. I imagine it would take months to get the correct model? Sorry I have no better advice. BTW, I like my crappy RS powered liftgate lol
Thanks for replying! Sheesh! That's weird - you only got the red outlined DOOR badges?! I DID get the whole Redline package - the red hash-marked wheels, the black grill and window trim and door handles, and the red outlined tailgate name badge (as well as these funky red stripe decals on the side mirrors...which are coming off soon!) - but they took away the hands-free liftgate - which is one of the main reasons I got the Premier trim (I have a wonky back)! But, yeah, powered tailgates are GREAT!

TopHat

Reaction score
Aloha folks!
I'll keep this as short as possible - I ordered a 2024 Equinox Premier that did NOT arrive as I had ordered it! (I had to order it as all of our local dealers have such low inventory - NO Premiers.)
Basically, Chevy decided it was going to cheat me and NOT install the advertised, standard equipment hands-free liftgate on the vehicle. Instead they installed the cheaper (RS style) NOT hands-free liftgate! 😡
Supposedly this happened because I got the vehicle with the Redline Edition package! (I still don't understand the reasoning behind this.) I was NOT told about this equipment change at any point while ordering.
I did not discover the "bait and switch" until a day after I took delivery of the vehicle. (I had come from a 2020 Blazer RS, where the hands-free option had to be turned on in the Settings.)
Even though I am a 'three-peat' customer, my lovely Chevy dealer has said there's nothing they can do. I have been on the phone 5 times with GM Customer Assistance - who also ended up telling me there's nothing they can do. 🤬

I'm hoping that someone on the Forum can give me some advice - and maybe direct contact info with an actual GM/Chevy management person.
(I've tried to get this info myself - the Execs are hidden behind coded email addresses. I wrote to one Chevy Exec who's on LinkedIn - it's been almost a month, and I haven't heard back from him.)

FWIW, I have the hands-free lift gate on my Escalade; it only works when I don't need it to work. smh You know, like when I take it to the dealer, it always works. When my hands are full, I can kick all day all over and it won't work. That said, you didn't get what you thought you are paying for, but I suspect they have that covered in the contract. There is something you can do depending upon the state you live in. Look for state assistance, but not sure who that would be in your state. Could start with lemon law of your state.

Lee

Reaction score
When ordering you really need to be careful when picking options. Sometimes items will drop out when adding a option package.
When Building a Premier and you add the Reline package you can see it does not list the handsfree option.
Here's how it shows on on the ordering page.

Power programmable liftgate
  • Opens your liftgate with the touch of a button
  • Memory height function allows you to program how high the gate opens to suit you
  • Operate the power liftgate in 3 different ways: using the liftgate button on the Remote Keyless Entry transmitter, pressing the liftgate button inside the vehicle or pressing the touchpad on the exterior liftgate handle
  • May require additional optional equipment

For me the easiest way to open the liftgate is to touch the button on the outside of the liftgate.
I looked at a 2024 Premier window sticker and see the hands free option listed, but like I mentioned above when you select the Redline package you lose the hands free feature.

Last edited:

WhiteDolfin

Reaction score
FWIW, I have the hands-free lift gate on my Escalade; it only works when I don't need it to work. smh You know, like when I take it to the dealer, it always works. When my hands are full, I can kick all day all over and it won't work. That said, you didn't get what you thought you are paying for, but I suspect they have that covered in the contract. There is something you can do depending upon the state you live in. Look for state assistance, but not sure who that would be in your state. Could start with lemon law of your state.
Thanks for your reply TopHat! I'm being a "good consumer" at present and following the course of action as laid out in the Owner's Manual - I sent a Certified letter to Chevy's Customer Satisfaction Dept. - we'll see what they say. But, I already have the Hawai'i State Consumer Protection Agency's webpage on an open browser tab! They're very good. I'm hoping it won't come to that....

Last edited:

WhiteDolfin

Reaction score
When ordering you really need to be careful when picking options. Sometimes items will drop out when adding a option package.
When Building a Premier and you add the Reline package you can see it does not list the handsfree option.
Here's how it shows on on the ordering page.

Power programmable liftgate
  • Opens your liftgate with the touch of a button
  • Memory height function allows you to program how high the gate opens to suit you
  • Operate the power liftgate in 3 different ways: using the liftgate button on the Remote Keyless Entry transmitter, pressing the liftgate button inside the vehicle or pressing the touchpad on the exterior liftgate handle
  • May require additional optional equipment

For me the easiest way to open the liftgate is to touch the button on the outside of the liftgate.
I looked at a 2024 Premier window sticker and see the hands free option listed, but like I mentioned above when you select the Redline package you lose the hands free feature.
Thanks for your reply Lee. Yeah, I'm a bit perplexed about this all. Chevy's official website's "Build and Price" function - which I used to order the car (with a dealership salesperson) shows the hands-free liftgate as STANDARD equipment on a Premier on FOUR different pages. I DID look at the Redline Package page when I ordered the car - it mentions nothing about a cheaper liftgate - just all the different appearance pieces. (I've attached screenshots of what I saw when I ordered the car.) That was back in September 2023 when I ordered the vehicle (it took 5 months to get built and delivered). The local dealer G.M. sent me a link to the page you're referring to. That page is 'buried' a couple of layers down in the website. AND, the part you copy-and-pasted does NOT say the 3-function tailgate REPLACES the STANDARD hands-free liftgate. When I just recently first saw this page, I thought the Package ADDED a power liftgate to Equinox trims that did not otherwise come with a power liftgate! - Also, I'm not sure that "buried" page was even there when I submitted the order - I sure didn't see it at the time. To make things even MORE odd, if this fiasco isn't simply a manufacturing screwup, it would make the Equinox the ONLY Redline Edition, that's available on the 7 or so different Chevy models that offer the Redline Package, where there is standard equipment REMOVED! So, to quote Ricky Ricardo from "I Love Lucy" - Chevy, "you got some 'splainin' to do!"

Attachments

• 2024 Premier Equipment.jpeg
    2024 Premier Equipment.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Redline Package Specs.jpeg
    Redline Package Specs.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

ricklack

Reaction score
Thanks for replying! Sheesh! That's weird - you only got the red outlined DOOR badges?! I DID get the whole Redline package - the red hash-marked wheels, the black grill and window trim and door handles, and the red outlined tailgate name badge (as well as these funky red stripe decals on the side mirrors...which are coming off soon!) - but they took away the hands-free liftgate - which is one of the main reasons I got the Premier trim (I have a wonky back)! But, yeah, powered tailgates are GREAT!
The RS is not supposed to get the red door badges, but somehow I got them. As mentioned, i have yet to find another RS with the red door badges. I have several people bird dogging for me, and no one has found any RS, or other Equinox with them. I knew it was a redline thing as I have seen older Traverse etc with them. They did not offer a Redline Equinox in 2022 (or 2023 I think).

I have red RS badges front and rear, and red RS highlites in the interior, such as red insert on the shift lever, red piping on the seats and dash, etc. I had thoughts of replacing the tailgate badge with red outlined, like you say you have. I think it would look good as it is on opposite side from the red RS badge.

The RS also has a black grill (maybe slightly different pattern) and black chrome instead of regular chrome, wherever the chrome would normally be - put it peels off, especially on the bumper (replaced 2 times) and the front grill which was replaced once just before the b2b expired. The front has already started peeling off again.

I felt I needed more red as my Iron Gray with black chrome accents was so dark, so I painted the calipers with red epoxy paint, that will never wear off and pops nicely.

About 6 months after I got mine I went to wash the car and noticed filament line halfway under the X on my drivers door! I had stayed at a hotel in PA and noticed a black 22 RS across the lot - he did not have red badges. I always wonder if it was him trying to steal my red badges LOL.

CPG

Reaction score
Aloha folks!

Download the 2024 Equinox e brochure. In the E brochure there are details of what the subtleties are of things that are included in different packages and trim levels and things that are deleted when those packages are ordered. I'll be willing to bet it says their in the fine print that with the red line addition, the hands-free tailgate is omitted. It has to do with the way wiring harnesses used in the car are constructed for different package combinations. Nobody's trying to cheat you I'll bet you didn't even read the brochure before you ordered the car. Of course if you read the brochure and there is no mention that with a certain trim level and the red line package there is a delete for the hands-free tailgate then you need to talk to a lawyer. Nobody on here is going to be able to save you. The E brochure would be your legal proof that that should have been included and wasn't if you could find it. This whole thing sounds like way more trouble than it's worth to me.

NXR71

Reaction score
Sorry, but it sounds like you did not get the standard equipment because you no longer have a standard vehicle due to the options you ordered. There is no bait and switch and if you try that argument you'll get laughed out of court. You would need to prove you paid for the handsfree liftgate but did not receive it and that will be impossible to do. In fact, I'm sure GM will have documentation for your order showing how they subtracted some cost to add the options. This ain't their first rodeo and a brochure ALWAYS has a disclaimer that equipment can change without notice. A brochure is not the sales contract.

You've got two choices, keep it or sell it. If you keep it consider how you can make it easier on yourself to pull the liftgate down. Tie a piece of webbing to a strap (if it uses a strap), use something like a cane to hook the handle to pull the liftgate down or something.

Even if the local dealers had a Premier, unless they had a Premier Redline Edition it still would not have been obvious to you.

CPG

Reaction score
Sorry, but it sounds like you did not get the standard equipment because you no longer have a standard vehicle due to the options you ordered. There is no bait and switch and if you try that argument you'll get laughed out of court. You would need to prove you paid for the handsfree liftgate but did not receive it and that will be impossible to do. In fact, I'm sure GM will have documentation for your order showing how they subtracted some cost to add the options. This ain't their first rodeo and a brochure ALWAYS has a disclaimer that equipment can change without notice. A brochure is not the sales contract.

You've got two choices, keep it or sell it. If you keep it consider how you can make it easier on yourself to pull the liftgate down. Tie a piece of webbing to a strap (if it uses a strap), use something like a cane to hook the handle to pull the liftgate down or something.

Even if the local dealers had a Premier, unless they had a Premier Redline Edition it still would not have been obvious to you.
My understanding is there is a power liftgate... It's just not a *hands-free* power liftgate. With the power liftgate there's a button you push to open or close the lift gate. The hands-free when you kick with your foot under the bumper I think that's the only thing that's missing.

NXR71

Reaction score
That could be a better situation. Our 2020 Premier has a button on the driver door down low that I can push to open or close the power liftgate. If the 2024 retained that feature the concerns about furthering a back injury may go away.

The OP's situation is compounded because they are in Hawaii so their options would be quite limited anyway.

WhiteDolfin

Reaction score
Download the 2024 Equinox e brochure. In the E brochure there are details of what the subtleties are of things that are included in different packages and trim levels and things that are deleted when those packages are ordered. I'll be willing to bet it says their in the fine print that with the red line addition, the hands-free tailgate is omitted. It has to do with the way wiring harnesses used in the car are constructed for different package combinations. Nobody's trying to cheat you I'll bet you didn't even read the brochure before you ordered the car. Of course if you read the brochure and there is no mention that with a certain trim level and the red line package there is a delete for the hands-free tailgate then you need to talk to a lawyer. Nobody on here is going to be able to save you. The E brochure would be your legal proof that that should have been included and wasn't if you could find it. This whole thing sounds like way more trouble than it's worth to me.
No, I didn't read any "e-brochure" for the Equinox. I wasn't aware that one existed. I DID order the car, with the help of a dealership salesperson, using the "Build & Price" mechanism on the official Chevy.com website; and I have a printout of those pages from that time.
I DID look at the "gold"-colored emblem pages (recommended) while ordering the vehicle. No where the salesman and I looked says anything about the removal of the Premier-trim-level standard-equipment liftgate when the Redline Edition is ordered - to the contrary, on Chevy.com it specifically shows that the hands-free liftgate is STANDARD equipment on the Premier trim in, not one, not two, not three, but in FOUR different separate locations on the Equinox web pages!
I have to mention that your comment, "This whole thing sounds like way more trouble than it's worth to me." is a defeatist attitude that the 1%ers, the corporations and their political lackeys (everyone that controls the USA) just love. As long as most people feel that way about principles and integrity, they'll keep doing business the way it suits THEM - which is to make getting every penny of profit their top priority, and everything else a distant second thought.

WhiteDolfin

Reaction score
Reading some of the replies, it seems I need to restate my request (my reason for posting about this problem here).
On second thought I think I will just start a new thread with that request as the subject.
I did NOT mean to start a thread about how to/how not to order a vehicle from Chevrolet. That's what a dealership is for.
But, I DO appreciate all of the replies and "getting to know" some of you forum members a bit.
Be Well.

FWIW, I have been in contact with a Hawaii State consumer agency. Their response after an initial investigation was that they will take the case (i.e., Chevy possibly did something illegal).

NXR71

Reaction score
I have to mention that your comment, "This whole thing sounds like way more trouble than it's worth to me." is a defeatist attitude that the 1%ers, the corporations and their political lackeys (everyone that controls the USA) just love. As long as most people feel that way about principles and integrity, they'll keep doing business the way it suits THEM - which is to make getting every penny of profit their top priority, and everything else a distant second thought.
Yeah, OK. :rolleyes:

You didn't get the standard equipment because you selected optional equipment. "Standard" does not mean "mandatory", just like when you pick an optional engine you no longer get the standard engine.

I just tried building a 2024 Equinox Premier FWD and kept every option the same except for picking the Redline Edition. The pic is what was shown.

When I clicked the "i" for more information on this pic I got the second pic.

1710981103430.png

1710981177700.png

And on the order summary:

1710981276546.png

Do your homework better next time. Or just keep blaming others for your mistakes. Whatever works for you. SMH.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.