Update on flat tow procedure for 2023 - 2024 Equinox - new guidance from GM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NXR71

Reaction score
Per this iRV2 post, GM just revised the flat tow procedure for the 2023 and 2024 Equinox officially. Fortunately, they WILL still allow the AWD version to be flat towed. A battery disconnect system or manually disconnecting the battery cable will still be required. The copy of the correspondence from one owner's dealer is in this post: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/202...eaf-onramp-offramp-611553-23.html#post6660003

Last edited:

Cmaher

Reaction score
So how confident do we feel about the new procedure? I am having trouble trusting anything GM is putting out now. :(

NXR71

Reaction score
So how confident do we feel about the new procedure? I am having trouble trusting anything GM is putting out now. :(
I have a 2020 so this is just academic to me. I can say that people with a 2023 and 2024 have said the problem is gone after disconnecting the battery. Some are using a manual switch and some are using an electronic switch with a pushbutton in the car. The trick is you still need 12 volt DC power to run your supplemental braking system, especially for the breakaway system, so people are rewiring those so it's powered directly from the car battery. That necessitates that the disconnect switch be placed on the positive battery terminal but that works.

ridesabout

Reaction score
I have a 2020 so this is just academic to me. I can say that people with a 2023 and 2024 have said the problem is gone after disconnecting the battery. Some are using a manual switch and some are using an electronic switch with a pushbutton in the car. The trick is you still need 12 volt DC power to run your supplemental braking system, especially for the breakaway system, so people are rewiring those so it's powered directly from the car battery. That necessitates that the disconnect switch be placed on the positive battery terminal but that works.
What has to be rewired. Something on the car itself or the breakaway switch?

NXR71

Reaction score
For a 2023 or 2024, probably both, The battery itself needs disconnected but you'll likely need to rewire to supplemental braking system so it can still use battery power for the breakaway functionality. And for the supplemental braking itself.

NXR71

Reaction score
Sorry, should have quoted Cmaher's post from earlier:
Ahh, thanks. Several people on iRV2 have reported that disconnecting the battery works well. Some are leery about disconnecting the positive terminal, which makes it fairly easy to power a supplemental braking system, versus disconnecting the negative cable as the GM directions say.

We all have different skillsets so that is understandable.

Warren

Reaction score
OK, I finally got the updated manual pages that now state to disconnect the negative battery terminal when you dingy or dolly flat tow. I have a 23 Premier that I sent up in July of 23 following what was published in the manual, no battery disconnect. I have a Demco Stay and Play braking system. Now I need to get the braking system rewired to get power from the car battery when the negative terminal is disconnected. My question is this: Has anyone gotten Chevrolet to reimburse them for the cost of making the changes from battery connected to battery disconnected? I think Chevrolet should reimburse owner for the cost to fix their screwup.

NXR71

Reaction score
I think most people were just happy to get a working procedure.

Your issue is why many people are putting the disconnect on the positive terminal as well as relocating the charge line to the battery. That will allow them to still use battery power for the supplemental braking system and breakaway capability.

GM cares nothing about the owner needing to keep those systems working because they don't supply them.

jcolsanti

Reaction score
Getting ready to put a battery disconnect switch on my 2023 FWD. What is the small connector on the negative post for?

Attachments

• PXL_20240318_140304314~2.jpg
    PXL_20240318_140304314~2.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 6

NXR71

Reaction score
Getting ready to put a battery disconnect switch on my 2023 FWD. What is the small connector on the negative post for?
It may be a battery charge sensor. Regardless, a battery is only disconnected when it has no wires at all on the post. Take it off.

jcolsanti

Reaction score
It may be a battery charge sensor. Regardless, a battery is only disconnected when it has no wires at all on the post. Take it off.
I did disconnect it for a few moments, but left the rest on the negative post to see if I could figure out what is was. After I reconnected it, the check engine light came on. Drove about 10 miles and the light went out.

rideaway

Reaction score
Yes can't say I believe much of what GM says. They will only standby what the manual says and in 2018 they say the AWD 1.5 cannot be flat towed, and I'm sure it is no different than the 2020, in which they just changed the first line of the manual about flat towing that says you can tow it.

NXR71

Reaction score
Yes can't say I believe much of what GM says. They will only standby what the manual says and in 2018 they say the AWD 1.5 cannot be flat towed, and I'm sure it is no different than the 2020, in which they just changed the first line of the manual about flat towing that says you can tow it.
I read an article that said there was a rear end gearing change between 2018 and 2019 that made the difference. I have not verified that myself, though.

JFCLOUD

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Equinox that I have set up for flat towing, but haven't done it yet. I got the new instructions from GM about disconnecting the battery completely, and have a problem with that, because won't all the computer stuff be wiped clean? I know my Equinox has electric breaks, so how do they still work, because most states require a towed vehicle to have a breaking system, while being towed. I have the battery charge system from my coach hooked up, but that won't work without the negative hooked up to the battery. has anyone tried towing with the new guide?

NXR71

Reaction score
No, all of the computer stuff will not be wiped clean. Think about it, Chevy does not require reprogramming of the car when the battery is installed originally or replaced.

First, Chevy took the safest way out and said to disconnect the negative cable. Since Chevy does not provide dinghy towing supplemental braking systems they did not address that need.

It is completely acceptable technically to disconnect the positive terminal instead, all wires. It does not matter which post is disconnected from a functionality standpoint, as long as the work is done in a safe manner.

There are permanently-installed battery disconnect switches that can work when installed on the positive post, both manual switches and electrically-operated switches.

If I had one of these vehicles I would install the disconnect switch on the positive post. I would remove my motorhome charge line from wherever the vehicle end is connected and put that wire on the positive post of the battery disconnect switch. Disconnect switches usually have a way to do that and that directly connects the motorhome charge line to the car's battery (and the negative cable is still connected so it will charge).

If I had an electrically-powered supplemental braking system, either permanent or removable, I would rewire it so that it got power directly from the battery. The relocated motorhome charge line will keep the car's battery charged up.

Whether the car power brakes are working or not usually is irrelevant. Contact the manufacturer of your supplemental braking system for their guidance. You will not be the first person to call them because several vehicles require that the battery be disconnected prior to dinghy towing.

The more annoying part of having to disconnect the battery is that the power door locks and key fob will no longer work. Plus, you need to get inside the car to open the hood to reconnect the battery (usually). So you either leave the car unlocked or you resort to using the key inside the fob.

One person installed a Roadmaster remote disconnect system and put the button inside the wheel well, outside of the car. He pushes the button to disconnect the battery after the car is locked and pushes the button again to connect the battery to unlock the car. That can work but I'd be installing a weatherproof pushbutton myself. And I'd pick a location where I was absolutely certain a rock or road spray or snow or anything else could never accidentally push the button. See this link: https://www.roadmasterinc.com/battery-disconnect-w-switch/

Hope this helps.

JFCLOUD

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, you answered all my questions. Guess I'll be installing a battery switch. The break-away break and the charge from the coach, can connect to the battery side of the switch.

jimmymac

Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.