Flat towing 2020 FWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomG

Reaction score
I have a 2020 FWD that I flat tow behind our motorhome. The owners manual says it should be towed with the transmission in neutral and the switch in the "ACC" position. I do that however I have intermittent connection issues with the charge wire running from my motorhome and never know when I will have a dead battery when I get to my destination. Other than the computer and clock resetting is there any reason why I couldn't install and switch a battery disconnect once I shirt it into neutral. It's been dead several times due to not charging and it always seems to be OK afterwards. It's a real P.I.T.A.

CoolDad

Reaction score
You are also supposed to stop and run the engine every 500 miles. Is it dead that quickly?

Darrol450

Reaction score
I tow a 2022 LS FWD. I have installed an RVI shadow braking system. It also has a battery charger so there is no issue with a dead battery so far.

SRFoster

Reaction score
I have the RVi charger and the battery was still going dead. However, after lots of testing, I found that by removing the F42 (radio) fuse, the battery would stay charged. When testing, the amp draw, even with the radio off, was more than the charger could keep up with. After pulling the F42 fuse, the amps show a good charge and the volts stay above 12.6.

Gumbo

Reaction score
I have a 2020 FWD that I flat tow behind our motorhome. The owners manual says it should be towed with the transmission in neutral and the switch in the "ACC" position. I do that however I have intermittent connection issues with the charge wire running from my motorhome and never know when I will have a dead battery when I get to my destination. Other than the computer and clock resetting is there any reason why I couldn't install and switch a battery disconnect once I shirt it into neutral. It's been dead several times due to not charging and it always seems to be OK afterwards. It's a real P.I.T.A.

Gumbo

Reaction score
I bought a 2022 Equinox LT to flat tow. I expected that the steering wheel would turn easily in flat tow mode (as did my 2014 Jeep Cherokee), but this is not the case. I followed the owners manual flat tow procedure there is no change in the resistance to turning the steering wheel. Should it turn easily in flat tow mode?

TomG

Reaction score
OI"ERI bought a 2022 Equinox LT to flat tow. I expected that the steering wheel would turn easily in flat tow mode (as did my 2014 Jeep >TL%,

Cherokee), but this is not the case. I followed the owners manual flat tow procedure there is no change in the resistance to turning the steering wheel. Should it turn easily in flat tow mode?6oi?
I assume you had the transmission in neutral? My 2020 owners manual states transmission in neutral and ignition switch to ACC mode. I have since started towning mine differently without any problem. Transmission in neutral, ignition switch set to ACC. I installed a battery disconnect switch and once I do the above I turn the battery off to avoid draing the battery. I have a 15' 12V cord with alligator clips on one end and a cigarrette lighter plug on the other. I connect the alligator clips to the barttery then run the wire over the top of the engine out the back side of the hood then between driver door and winshield post to get the other end inside the car. I have a Blue OX Partiot brake controller that attaches to the brake pedal that I plug into the extension. The Patriot uses internal capicators and draws very little power and has no affect on battery life.

Gumbo

Reaction score
I assume you had the transmission in neutral? My 2020 owners manual states transmission in neutral and ignition switch to ACC mode. I have since started towning mine differently without any problem. Transmission in neutral, ignition switch set to ACC. I installed a battery disconnect switch and once I do the above I turn the battery off to avoid draing the battery. I have a 15' 12V cord with alligator clips on one end and a cigarrette lighter plug on the other. I connect the alligator clips to the barttery then run the wire over the top of the engine out the back side of the hood then between driver door and winshield post to get the other end inside the car. I have a Blue OX Partiot brake controller that attaches to the brake pedal that I plug into the extension. The Patriot uses internal capicators and draws very little power and has no affect on battery life.
Thanks for reply, but you might re-read my post as nothing you wrote had anything to do with the questions I asked.

NXR71

Reaction score
A 2022 needs the engine running to get the power steering to work. But I'm confused by your question. The car is being towed so why are you asking abut manually moving the steering wheel?

TomG

Reaction score
A 2022 needs the engine running to get the power steering to work. But I'm confused by your question. The car is being towed so why are you asking abut manually moving the steering wheel?
The wheels will trail correctly and turn as needed when the towing vehicle turns. There is no need for the engine to run. I suspect the only reason they want us to run the engine occasionally is to keep the battery up. Not familiar with the 2022 model so wasn't sure if they are all push button start or if some versions have a steering column lock. Just put it in nuetral disconnet the battery and go.

Gumbo

Reaction score
The wheels will trail correctly and turn as needed when the towing vehicle turns. There is no need for the engine to run. I suspect the only reason they want us to run the engine occasionally is to keep the battery up. Not familiar with the 2022 model so wasn't sure if they are all push button start or if some versions have a steering column lock. Just put it in nuetral disconnet the battery and go.
Only asked because with my Jeep I found turning the wheel was easy way to confirm that wheels would track pro0perly. Guess that only applied to Jeep. Thanks for reply.

Members online