2023 AWD When Dinghy Towing: Front Tires Skid During Tight Turns?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rivverat

Reaction score
We tow a '23 Chevy Equinox AWD. We bought it specifically because it is towable. The Owners Manual states the easy procedure to prep it for dinghy towing which we follow exactly. Owners Manual for this model year does not indicate any fuses to be pulled.
When going around a sharp curve i.e. cloverleaf to interstate or similar, the front tires (I think front) on the toad skid enough that we hear the tires screech until we straighten out. We negotiate the turns usually under the suggested posted speed, maybe 15 to 20 mph.
It is not related to the braking actuator (we know this since we have had the issue without the portable brake actuator installed).
I can not duplicate the issue when turning very sharply at near idle speeds, say in a parking lot or on gravel.
I'm out of ideas as to why this happens.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

NH Bear

Reaction score
We tow a '23 Chevy Equinox AWD. We bought it specifically because it is towable. The Owners Manual states the easy procedure to prep it for dinghy towing which we follow exactly. Owners Manual for this model year does not indicate any fuses to be pulled.
When going around a sharp curve i.e. cloverleaf to interstate or similar, the front tires (I think front) on the toad skid enough that we hear the tires screech until we straighten out. We negotiate the turns usually under the suggested posted speed, maybe 15 to 20 mph.
It is not related to the braking actuator (we know this since we have had the issue without the portable brake actuator installed).
I can not duplicate the issue when turning very sharply at near idle speeds, say in a parking lot or on gravel.
Hi , I am having the same problem, hope someone can help

NH Bear

Reaction score
Hi its NH bear again , I talk with GM it may be that auto braking is on , go to settings turn off or change to alert only and no breaking in pedestrian and forward coll. Let me know how you make out

TopHat

Reaction score
Normally, you switch to 2-wheel drive when towing. At least that is what I've read and did that on my Chevy Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade.

Google towing with 4-wheel drive.

Edit: I'm adding that the Equinox Owners Manual provides for AWD towing and when towing button is pressed, the AWD is activated.

I'm no expert but this is the rationale: "The reason that it is advised against towing with 4WD engaged is that since the rear axle will be receiving the majority of the weight/contact when towing a trailer, you will want the power to come from the rear (not divided between the front and rear axle). For normal towing you should always use 2-wheel drive." Source: https://www.etrailer.com/question-403348.html#:~:text=The reason that it is,always use 2-wheel drive.

AWD and 4-wheel drive are different, so see what works best. Generally, I rely on the owner's manual, and it requires changes to certain settings before towing.

Last edited:

rivverat

Reaction score
Normally, you switch to 2-wheel drive when towing. At least that is what I've read and did that on my Chevy Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade.

Edit: I'm adding that the Equinox Owners Manual provides for AWD towing and when towing button is pressed, the AWD is activated.

I'm no expert but this is the rationale: "The reason that it is advised against towing with 4WD engaged is that since the rear axle will be receiving the majority of the weight/contact when towing a trailer, you will want the power to come from the rear (not divided between the front and rear axle). For normal towing you should always use 2-wheel drive." Source: https://www.etrailer.com/question-403348.html#:~:text=The reason that it is,always use 2-wheel drive.

AWD and 4-wheel drive are different, so see what works best. Generally, I rely on the owner's manual, and it requires changes to certain settings before towing.
Thats what I do; Follow the Owners Manual to the letter. In this case the vehicle must be in AWD.

Traveler

Reaction score
Hi , I am having the same problem, hope someone can help
I have the same problem, contacted Chevy customer service regarding this issue on July 13th 2023. Talked to Geeta 1-866-790-5600 ext 59110334, She informed me that Chevy was aware of the problem and that engineers were trying come up with a fix. So far have not heard back from her, hopefully they will come up with something soon.

CoolDad

Reaction score

With the AWD Equinox they must be towed 4 down with AWD on, in Neutral, and in ACC mode. This includes the push to start models.

We tow our 2020 and in have never heard the tires drag. I have the RV camera on with the volume up so I can hear and see if something happens.

Cenerus

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue with my new 2023 Equinox. Brakes lock up only when I go through a banked cloverleaf or any exit ramp that has both a tight turn and is banked. I know it’s not the brake assist device because I can turn it off and the problem still happens. I have an appointment at the dealer next week. That will start the lemon law clock. GM has given no timeline on this, so I figure it’s best to treat this as a lemon until either GM fixes it or has to buy the car back.

Armyhockeynut

Reaction score
We are new to this forum and have been following this same issue on another site. We have experienced the same issues. Chevy had recommended disconnecting the battery and see what happens, which did cause it to stop. We are awaiting further guidance from GM. We have towed several trips now with the negative battery disconnected, and each time the ESC light comes on when we reconnect the battery but after driving a short time, it resets.

Cenerus

Reaction score
We are new to this forum and have been following this same issue on another site. We have experienced the same issues. Chevy had recommended disconnecting the battery and see what happens, which did cause it to stop. We are awaiting further guidance from GM. We have towed several trips now with the negative battery disconnected, and each time the ESC light comes on when we reconnect the battery but after driving a short time, it resets.
Hey Armyhockynut,

How do you get power to the brake assist device with the battery disconnected? Some other folks also had the emergency breakaway not work either when the battery is disconnected. Do you have that as well?

Armyhockeynut

Reaction score
Hey Armyhockynut,

How do you get power to the brake assist device with the battery disconnected? Some other folks also had the emergency breakaway not work either when the battery is disconnected. Do you have that as well?
We have the Demco plug & play and it is powered off the motorhome. Have not tried the breakaway yet. The rv dealer who did the installs also did the battery disconnect and said he has down it for other equinox too.

Cenerus

Reaction score
We have the Demco plug & play and it is powered off the motorhome. Have not tried the breakaway yet. The rv dealer who did the installs also did the battery disconnect and said he has down it for other equinox too.
Thanks Armyhockynut,

Is the battery disconnect a kit like the one Roadmaster sells for 2018 Equinox's that a similar problem? If this turns out to be the only solution, I may as well get it priced so I can get the car on the road.

Armyhockeynut

Reaction score
Thanks Armyhockynut,

Is the battery disconnect a kit like the one Roadmaster sells for 2018 Equinox's that a similar problem? If this turns out to be the only solution, I may as well get it priced so I can get the car on the road.
It is a very generic disconnect at the battery. We opted not to get it wired into the cabin as we assume GM will come with a solution and we will not have to do this any longer.

Cenerus

Reaction score
Thanks again Armyhockeynut. Do you happen to have a picture of the disconnect? Is it just a high amperage switch at the hot terminal? If it’s simple, I’ll do it as well.

Cenerus

Reaction score

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to see. I'll also have to reroute the power for the brake assist so it takes its power from the battery before the disconnect switch. And the same for the breakaway cable.

My GM service rep said that GM has never actually fixed this issue in the past, but just issued a workaround and sent out a manual update. She thought that it was likely that they would just do the same this time. It seems that making actual software changes is something they only do for really pervasive problems that affect 10's of thousands of owners, or have actually resulted in deaths and major lawsuits.

Armyhockeynut

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to see. I'll also have to reroute the power for the brake assist so it takes its power from the battery before the disconnect switch. And the same for the breakaway cable.

My GM service rep said that GM has never actually fixed this issue in the past, but just issued a workaround and sent out a manual update. She thought that it was likely that they would just do the same this time. It seems that making actual software changes is something they only do for really pervasive problems that affect 10's of thousands of owners, or have actually resulted in deaths and major lawsuits.
Thanks. Will investigate the update...

Traveler

Reaction score

Traveler

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, quick question is your Equinox FWD or AWD.

Members online

No members online now.