Towing My 2022 Equinox LS AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricklack

Reaction score
Too often dealers tell you whatever gets you out the door the quickest, whether it is accurate or not. Always best to defer to the manual over the dealer.

NXR71

Reaction score
The only definitive source for towing is the Owners Manual for your vehicle. Everyone else is just offering an opinion.

TopHat

Reaction score
What the heck! Somebody needs to get their act together! They need to be on the same page!
True enough, but the manual is not always the final answer. Things change. Should be a technical service bulletin describing the models/years etc. of any change. I remember Ford/Lincoln's manual recommending using synthetic blend in the manual and then changing to full synthetic years later for the same year and model.

Cmaher

Reaction score
Hello all, i just bought a 37ft Motorhome. I want to be able to tow my 2022 equinox.. My credit isnt the best and was lucky to even get the equinox a year ago with only 19miles. It IS the AWD model that can turn the AWD off... (has the button in front of shifter) Does anyone know if/how to tow this properly? the book says to never flat tow, and has tow dolly instructions but i feel its lacking. Only info i find online says to not tow an AWD vehicle but it also doesnt get into specifics about awd that can be turned off... along with the owners book giving instructions on how to tow dolly i'm very confused. i REALLY dont want to get another 18ft added on to the 37ft RV to tow my vehicle.... any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cmaher

Reaction score
Hi, We just bought a 2024 AWD Equinox because the owner’s manual said it could be flat towed and dolly towed. After having issues with dolly towing (brakes kept engaging) I found the solution on this forum. We just needed to put the key in the RV and away from the car. Now it dolly tows fine. However, we found out you CANNOT flat tow it. The owners manual is wrong! I have attached the service bulletin and our owners manual. We were very upset because we planned on flat towing after we got everything installed. The dealership actually said they would buy the car back and cover all the expenses we had like taxes, license plates etc. Be very careful. Check with the service department.

Attachments

• IMG_0940.png
    IMG_0940.png
    394.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0942.png
    IMG_0942.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

NXR71

Reaction score
That document 6003321 has been posted elsewhere as a DRAFT of a change to the Owners Manual. Where did your copy come from? If you have the entire PDF please post it here.

TopHat

Reaction score
True enough, but the manual is not always the final answer. Things change. Should be a technical service bulletin describing the models/years etc. of any change. I remember Ford/Lincoln's manual recommending using synthetic blend in the manual and then changing to full synthetic years later for the same year and model.

Hi, We just bought a 2024 AWD Equinox because the owner’s manual said it could be flat towed and dolly towed. After having issues with dolly towing (brakes kept engaging) I found the solution on this forum. We just needed to put the key in the RV and away from the car. Now it dolly tows fine. However, we found out you CANNOT flat tow it. The owners manual is wrong! I have attached the service bulletin and our owners manual. We were very upset because we planned on flat towing after we got everything installed. The dealership actually said they would buy the car back and cover all the expenses we had like taxes, license plates etc. Be very careful. Check with the service department.
Other owners should be wary of using a different year's owner's manual for your model year. Likewise, look carefully that technical service bulletins apply to the model year. Cmaher, so sorry for your experience, but at least you didn't need to argue with your dealer. Let us know what you decided to do, and if another vehicle what you selected.

Cmaher

Reaction score
That document 6003321 has been posted elsewhere as a DRAFT of a change to the Owners Manual. Where did your copy come from? If you have the entire PDF please post it here.
I got the bulletin from the Chevy service department where I bought the vehicle. I have attached all 3 pages as a pdf. iT IS VERY DISHEARTENING TO SPEND $40k AND NOT HAVE THE RIGHT INFORMATION IN THE OWNERS MANUAL. :(

Attachments

• GMSERVICEBULLETIN#6003321.pdf
    854.7 KB · Views: 14

Cmaher

Reaction score
Other owners should be wary of using a different year's owner's manual for your model year. Likewise, look carefully that technical service bulletins apply to the model year. Cmaher, so sorry for your experience, but at least you didn't need to argue with your dealer. Let us know what you decided to do, and if another vehicle what you selected.
Yes, I don't mean this is for all years of AWD Equinoxs, I guess my point is I will never trust the manual again. I would check with the service department for updates before buying. We thought by not taking the salesman's word for it and asking to see the owners manual we had covered our bases.

Since we figured out how to dolly tow the car we are going to keep it and in a couple years we will trade in our second car for a Jeep.

Members online

No members online now.