Impressive reliability rating for 2018-2024 Equinox by Consumer Reports...Production needs to be extended until 2030...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltchan

Reaction score
Consumer Reports just released its auto reliability history data, since 2016 model years, for April 2024 issue, and both the Chevrolet Equinox & GMC Terrain ended up being the second most-reliable after Toyota RAV4, historically, since the 2018 model year. This impressive above-average reliability data from Consumer Reports for Chevrolet Equinox has successfully beat Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester, and all Korean models, which this data has indeed shocked millions of people nationwide in this country.

General Motors should extend production of this 3rd generation until at least year 2030 at the best with only 6-speed auto max, because this one is likely to be the most-reliable and most fuel-efficient GM vehicle they could ever produce in lifetime. Starting with the 2025 model year, it should be renamed as the Equinox Classic, Equinox Limited, or Captiva Sport, and then being sold to fleets or car rental businesses only. The 3rd generation also has better exterior styling with neutral looks that will easily appeal to all people worldwide after they get off the airports.

Highly reliable, affordable, and dependable rental vehicles for fleets in the United States are urgently needed at this moment, while production costs are already down. Only the 2025+ Equinox Classic or Limited can immediately serve its all-duty purposes. General Motors should evaluate their plans and take this one (post) seriously. Thanks for reading.

(Not AI post or spam...)

Last edited:

Rathmullan

Reaction score
I agree! GM should do with the current Equinox/Terrain what Mazda has done with the CX-5. People still love that car and Mazda sells a lot of them. Meanwhile, the CX-50 (which was to replace the CX-5) sells well too. I'm seriously in the market for a 2024 Terrain/Equinox. Just can't bring myself to by first year of a new generation.

waltchan

Reaction score
I agree! GM should do with the current Equinox/Terrain what Mazda has done with the CX-5. People still love that car and Mazda sells a lot of them. Meanwhile, the CX-50 (which was to replace the CX-5) sells well too. I'm seriously in the market for a 2024 Terrain/Equinox. Just can't bring myself to by first year of a new generation.
Well, we did have Chevrolet Silverado Limited (Classic) model in the past. Fleet orders need proven, reliable models these days. The 2018-2024 Equinox is the gold winner. But, it depends on whether GM wants to extend production or not.

Last edited:

waltchan

Reaction score
Does anyone know the actual percentage of new GM vehicles sold today for fleets? It's possible the Chevrolet Trax may be more-popular instead.

StuBlue

Reaction score
That's fantastic, do you have link to the report? or is it behind a paywall, couldn't find anything while searching.

waltchan

Reaction score
That's fantastic, do you have link to the report? or is it behind a paywall, couldn't find anything while searching.
Buy the Consumer Reports April 2024 magazine in your local supermarket, Walmart, or if you have an online subscription. It's here and published officially... The best ever in Chevy's history, and it should be celebrated greatly. General Motors have been waiting for over 40 years to beat Honda in reliability, while regaining sales number again redirecting away from Honda. Now, if GM can extend production of this old design until 2030 as a lower-price solution, plus a new marketing ad, that would be great.

Last edited:

Billh

Reaction score
Consumer Reports just released its auto reliability history data, since 2016 model years, for April 2024 issue, and both the Chevrolet Equinox & GMC Terrain ended up being the second most-reliable after Toyota RAV4, historically, since the 2018 model year. This impressive above-average reliability data from Consumer Reports for Chevrolet Equinox has successfully beat Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester, and all Korean models, which this data has indeed shocked millions of people nationwide in this country.

General Motors should extend production of this 3rd generation until at least year 2030 at the best with only 6-speed auto max, because this one is likely to be the most-reliable and most fuel-efficient GM vehicle they could ever produce in lifetime. Starting with the 2025 model year, it should be renamed as the Equinox Classic, Equinox Limited, or Captiva Sport, and then being sold to fleets or car rental businesses only. The 3rd generation also has better exterior styling with neutral looks that will easily appeal to all people worldwide after they get off the airports.

Highly reliable, affordable, and dependable rental vehicles for fleets in the United States are urgently needed at this moment, while production costs are already down. Only the 2025+ Equinox Classic or Limited can immediately serve its all-duty purposes. General Motors should evaluate their plans and take this one (post) seriously. Thanks for reading.

(Not AI post or spam...)
As an owner of a 2016 and now 2024 Equinox and a retired since 2006 Lansing GM auto assembly line worker, I agree. In 2003 we started building the Malibu Classic while the new Malibu was built elsewhere. I was a driver in the repair/shipping departments, so I drove a lot of Malibu Classics. In 2007 my daughter bought a 2005 Malibu which was ugly inside-outside compared to the previous generation with no improvements in comfort or drivability. This third generation Equinox is the best so far.

CPG

Reaction score
If you're in the market for a 2024, that is NOT the first year of a new generation, it is the last year of the current 3rd generation

waltchan

Reaction score
If you're in the market for a 2024, that is NOT the first year of a new generation, it is the last year of the current 3rd generation

2025 Equinox/Terrain is the all-new 4th-generation. Changes include a CVT transmission for FWD models, and 8-speed automatic for AWD.

waltchan

Reaction score
Bump...

Someone had 268,000 miles in a 2021 Equinox after 3 years of heavy duty, 24/7, commercial-use driving.

rbrown0248

Reaction score

(Not AI post or spam...)
I found an April issue of CR and found no such article. I have a 2020 Equinox and think it is a pretty good car for the price but 2nd overall in reliability following Toyota RAV4?? I find this unbelievable.

waltchan

Reaction score
I found an April issue of CR and found no such article. I have a 2020 Equinox and think it is a pretty good car for the price but 2nd overall in reliability following Toyota RAV4?? I find this unbelievable.

Go to the back of the pages of magazine and find the 8-year reliability history data of all vehicles. Then find Chevrolet Equinox and compare it with Honda CR-V and Nissan Rogue. Reliability verdict is at the top of each section.

drcook

Reaction score
They are actually P.O.S. es. With less than 90,000 miles we lost the transmission. $5000.00 later we have to keep the car because we have too much invested in it. The first remanufactured transmission (an actual GM reman, not an aftermarket one) was bad from day 1. It was replaced by the selling dealership, because GM remans under warranty have be dealt with at a dealership, not the trans shop that sourced and installed it. It was replaced with less than 1000 miles on it. As I said, when I pulled out of the shop's drive and warmed it up, you could tell it was junk. So we are actually on the 3rd transmission.

I have a 2004.5 Duramax still going strong. Also a 1996 Corvette and a 1991 K2500 with a 454 in it. No transmission issues in a combined 81 years of driving.

Now I am working out a problem with the DPF sensors (ours is the diesel) and as I commented in another thread here
on this forum, ours had the bubbling hood issue. We have had other emission related problems.

It drives nice, gets great mileage, however in 49 years of owning cars and trucks, muscle cars, pickups and such there was only 1 other vehicle that lost its transmission and that was a POS Ford Ranger.

GM has been having lots of transmission issues the last few years. The 8 speed that was put in the Corvettes was causing people lots of grief.

waltchan

Reaction score
They are actually P.O.S. es. With less than 90,000 miles we lost the transmission. $5000.00 later we have to keep the car because we have too much invested in it. The first remanufactured transmission (an actual GM reman, not an aftermarket one) was bad from day 1. It was replaced by the selling dealership, because GM remans under warranty have be dealt with at a dealership, not the trans shop that sourced and installed it. It was replaced with less than 1000 miles on it. As I said, when I pulled out of the shop's drive and warmed it up, you could tell it was junk. So we are actually on the 3rd transmission.

What year is the Equinox? They all come with only 6-speed auto, except for the 2.0L turbo with 9-speed auto. Interestingly, all GMC Terrain gets 9-speed auto standard, regardless of engine, which is the only difference between Equinox.

ondersma80

Reaction score
After all these years I keep a digital subscription on and off to CR. I was surprised to see that 2024 Equinox recommendation. CR is usually pretty tough on the US "domestics".

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
My wife has a 2018 with 1.5 around 150k miles. I don't think she's even had a check engine light since she's owned it. Only "problem" I can think of is when her battery started to get weak she would occasionally get a service traction control message when it did stop/starts. After I replaced the battery that never happened again, so it was just caused by low voltage I believe. It uses less than 1/4 quart between oil changes so it's pretty reliable there too.

So yeah, I agree they are pretty reliable.

Members online