2019 Equinox paint on hood edge is bubbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Becky

Reaction score
Anyone else have/had this issue? I bought the car in Jan 2023. First noticed the bubbling in early summer following a brushless car wash. I contacted GM and learned I have a corrosion warranty, but the 2 dealerships I went to say it’s not covered because this occurred from chipping and there’s no “rust through hole”! Body shops say that they could fix the hood and repaint it, but the bubbling will come back eventually because the corrosion is in the seam along the edge. What to do?!? I like the car, but am particular about the look of my cars, and in my over 50 years of driving used and brand new cars, never, ever had an issue such as this! I am thinking of trading the car in, but of course, the value of the car, is now lower partially because of this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_8663.jpeg
    IMG_8663.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8664.jpeg
    IMG_8664.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8667.jpeg
    IMG_8667.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 27

Becky

Reaction score
Also the carfax showed 1 owner & NO accidents. I cannot believe this was caused by chipping. It was painted over to sell it. I don’t know who did the painting. Where the heck was the other owner driving this car for this to happen?!?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
It does look like they tried to use touch up paint on it. You could always ask a reliable body shop what it would cost to fix. It might be better than what you would lose on trade.

SteveK

Reaction score
Did the car happen to come with a bra. I ask as the grill looks good. If a bra was used in cold climate where salt spray gets on it, may explain what looks like corrosion repaired. JMO
I agree at least get a quote to repair properly and then decide as is or fixed right trade.

Becky

Reaction score
I don’t know if the car had a bra. It was a 1 previous owner when I bought the car. I did talk to several dealers and body shops. They all said the corrosion would return after awhile since the hood is defective. I would have to buy a new hood. I feel GM should replace the hood due to poor quality control of their hoods. I have found several other GM vehicle posts concerning the bubbling, but it doesn’t seem GM has done anything.

Becky

Reaction score
It does look like they tried to use touch up paint on it. You could always ask a reliable body shop what it would cost to fix. It might be better than what you would lose on trade.
Thanks for your reply. See reply below about fixing it.

bopaul1

Reaction score
My 2019 has the same exact issue. It was a small spot when I first bought it and thought it was touch up paint. Has spread like herpes. After researching, only thing I could find was corrosion from the aluminum. I spoke with a body shop and they said they've come across it on a few other gm vehicles.

Becky

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I have submitted a complaint to Consumer Protection Bureau to get GM to replace my hood. I sent several examples from online forums. If I need more ammo, I will send yours. Will keep you posted.

NHEquinosD

Reaction score
Anyone else have/had this issue? I bought the car in Jan 2023. First noticed the bubbling in early summer following a brushless car wash. I contacted GM and learned I have a corrosion warranty, but the 2 dealerships I went to say it’s not covered because this occurred from chipping and there’s no “rust through hole”! Body shops say that they could fix the hood and repaint it, but the bubbling will come back eventually because the corrosion is in the seam along the edge. What to do?!? I like the car, but am particular about the look of my cars, and in my over 50 years of driving used and brand new cars, never, ever had an issue such as this! I am thinking of trading the car in, but of course, the value of the car, is now lower partially because of this issue.
I have a 2019
Same problem.
Both the dealer AND the body shop said the aluminum hood has a special sealer and if not 100% clean when applied - it will bubble.
Chevy would NOT cover it and would only fix if the entire hood was replaced.
Body shop did a good job - but $1,000.
It is a known problem ....

Becky

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am hoping that my complaint will result in a “no cost hood replacement”. If need be, I will use your post as more proof of the problem.

John H.

Reaction score
I wonder how much an aftermarket hood would cost installed and painted?

Becky

Reaction score
My 2019 has the same exact issue. It was a small spot when I first bought it and thought it was touch up paint. Has spread like herpes. After researching, only thing I could find was corrosion from the aluminum. I spoke with a body shop and they said they've come across it on a few other gm vehicles.
Hi boPaul1. As my GM complaint is being reviewed, I was wondering where you live? Just wondering if this issue is specific to a certain region. I live in Wisconsin. Thanks.

Becky

Reaction score
I have a 2019
Same problem.
Both the dealer AND the body shop said the aluminum hood has a special sealer and if not 100% clean when applied - it will bubble.
Chevy would NOT cover it and would only fix if the entire hood was replaced.
Body shop did a good job - but $1,000.
It is a known problem ....
Hi! As I am waiting for General Motors to review my complaint, I was wondering if this issue is specific to certain regions in the country. I live in Wisconsin. Where do you live? Thanks

bopaul1

Reaction score
Hi boPaul1. As my GM complaint is being reviewed, I was wondering where you live? Just wondering if this issue is specific to a certain region. I live in Wisconsin. Thanks.
I'm in New York. Whenever I go out I look at other hoods. I've come across a handful with bubbling hoods in the past year

Becky

Reaction score
Thanks. I do the same but haven’t found any others except on this forum. I have informed GM about this forum. I really can’t see how they could refuse to replace my hood when it’s apparent that this has been an issue for years not just on an equinox, but on other models of Chevrolet.

NHEquinosD

Reaction score
Hi! As I am waiting for General Motors to review my complaint, I was wondering if this issue is specific to certain regions in the country. I live in Wisconsin. Where do you live? Thanks
New Hampshire

Members online