2019 Equinox 30k Miles Loud screech/squeal sound around 35-45 mph.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willowpwns

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum here.

My 2019 Chevy Equinox has around 30,000 miles and recently started making a loud screeching/squealing sound once I reach around 35-45 mph. At idle it will never make the sound. At highway speed it will not make the sound. It's only once I reach about 35 mph and will persist through 45 mph. If I start getting above 45 mph the sound will stop. If I take my foot off the gas and let the car decelerate once it drops to 45mph the squeal/screech will start and persist through 35 mph. Once I drop below 35 mph the sound will stop. It doesn't seem to happen specifically because of acceleration or decelaration. Just seems to happen at that specific speed (35-45mph).

It doesn't seem to have any negative performance on the vehicle. It still drives as smooth as ever. Even when the screeching/squealing is happening the performance seems to stay stable. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. It certainly isn't a wheel bearing sound nor any form of hum, vibration or growling. It's certainly coming from the front side of the vehicle. Since it only happens while driving at speed it's difficult to discern whether its underneath the front side of the vehicle or in the engine bay. The best way I can describe it is a screeching or squealing sound. My wife describes it as an electrical sound but I feel it to be a more mechanical in origin. I don't rule that out though as I know some solenoids can make some ridiculous sounds.

Any thoughts, ideas and help would be appreciated.

-Will

TopHat

Reaction score
  1. Belt on pulley could be slipping, tighten belt or, serpentine belt is too worn.
  2. Brakes are designed to squeal at some point at deterioration
  3. alternator going bad or water pump.
  4. Worn starter freewheel;
  5. Power steering pump;
  6. Fan viscous coupling;
  7. Air conditioning compressor magnetic clutch

I bolded the ones I think most likely. Do let us know when you find out. Have 2019 LT AWD with 41K miles. All original parts except wipers, and no repairs, but various maintenance due at 5 years.

Members online

No members online now.