2018 NG rust bubbling on nose under paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MegH

Reaction score
Now for the 2nd time (fixed 3 years ago) found more rust bubbling on edge of hood under the paint and this is an aluminum hood. Called my dealer and they said the 6/100, 000 corrosion warranty is expired. Sent me the print out. Apparently GM can't do math because it also has an end date of 1/2/2024. Have an appointment and will fight this if need be.

Anyone else have this happen? Aluminum shouldn't rust in the first place.

TopHat

Reaction score
Now for the 2nd time (fixed 3 years ago) found more rust bubbling on edge of hood under the paint and this is an aluminum hood. Called my dealer and they said the 6/100, 000 corrosion warranty is expired. Sent me the print out. Apparently GM can't do math because it also has an end date of 1/2/2024. Have an appointment and will fight this if need be.

Aluminum doesn't rust, but it does corrode. Rust is corrosion on iron. Probably more of a paint issue but could be corrosion. "The process of aluminum corrosion is known as oxidation. The resulting aluminum oxide is a thin, hard layer that actually protects the metal from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide appears as a powdery white or dull gray coating." Perhaps the aluminum was not properly coated/prepped. Aluminum oxide is not a good surface for paint adherence or so I've read. Good luck.

Severum17

Reaction score
I think you will find that the rust warranty is rust THROUGH. I worked for GM for many years and you have to have an actual hole before they will warranty. Oh, and aluminum does not rust as the previous post says.

Becky

Reaction score
Meg H: can you please tell me what your outcome was to this post? Thanks

John H.

Reaction score

I had that happen on my 06 Ford Freestyle. Aluminum may not rust but it certainly corrodes and bubbles if the paint gets chipped off. This happens quicker and worse in snow and salt air states.

drcook

Reaction score
This is a common problem on Equinoxes. Ours (2018) was replaced by a dealership (in 2023), who stated that they had a pile of them behind the shop. Took a 5 minute phone call for them to get approval.

We were initially blown off by the dealer we purchased it at, another dealership up the road from them got it replaced.
Go talk to a body shop manager.

Becky

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I have been contacted by GM about my complaint through the Consumer Protection Bureau and am waiting to hear their decision. Your reply here may be instrumental in that decision hopefully. Just wondering where you live. Hope you don’t mind sharing that. I am in Wisconsin.

Becky

Reaction score
Aluminum doesn't rust, but it does corrode. Rust is corrosion on iron. Probably more of a paint issue but could be corrosion. "The process of aluminum corrosion is known as oxidation. The resulting aluminum oxide is a thin, hard layer that actually protects the metal from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide appears as a powdery white or dull gray coating." Perhaps the aluminum was not properly coated/prepped. Aluminum oxide is not a good surface for paint adherence or so I've read. Good luck.
TopHat: what state do you live in? Just wondering if this hood problem is in a specific region? I live in Wisconsin. Thanks

drcook

Reaction score
We live in Ohio. West side of Akron. Ours started bubbling up while the car was well within the corrosion warranty time frame.

I have started looking and have seen others now with the same issue. The ones I have seen are the same color as ours. That silver/grey color.

TopHat

Reaction score
TopHat: what state do you live in? Just wondering if this hood problem is in a specific region? I live in Wisconsin. Thanks
I live in Northern VA near DC. I have zero complaints about daughter's 2019 AWD LT Equinox. After 5 years, no repairs, just standard maintenance.

Becky

Reaction score
Meg H: can you please tell me what your outcome was to this post? Thanks

This is a common problem on Equinoxes. Ours (2018) was replaced by a dealership (in 2023), who stated that they had a pile of them behind the shop. Took a 5 minute phone call for them to get approval.

We were initially blown off by the dealer we purchased it at, another dealership up the road from them got it replaced.
Go talk to a body shop manager.
Interesting. I have been to 2 CHEVY dealerships and they both say it’s corrosion but that it was caused by chipping so GM won’t fix under the corrosion warranty for that reason as well as the warranty only covers rust through which aluminum doesn’t rust! I wonder if it’s because I am not the original owner? But GM customer service said the warranty is still good up to 100K miles and I only have 68K miles. Wish I lived closer to that dealership you used

TopHat

Reaction score
Interesting. I have been to 2 CHEVY dealerships and they both say it’s corrosion but that it was caused by chipping so GM won’t fix under the corrosion warranty for that reason as well as the warranty only covers rust through which aluminum doesn’t rust! I wonder if it’s because I am not the original owner? But GM customer service said the warranty is still good up to 100K miles and I only have 68K miles. Wish I lived closer to that dealership you used
How about a picture of the corrosion. "Rust through" means a hole caused by corrosion, the corrosion doesn't need to be rust.

Becky

Reaction score
How about a picture of the corrosion. "Rust through" means a hole caused by corrosion, the corrosion doesn't need to be rust.
I do have pictures in the beginning of this thread.
Is the dealership you went to still open? If so, can you send me their name and phone # please?

bagbyjw

Reaction score
Is the dealership you went to still open? If so, can you send me their name and phone # please?
I just checked the forum post and there are no pictures. Maybe the pictures are from this forum post

I'm wondering if it is a specific paint color. My Olympic/Summit white does not have any issues

TopHat

Reaction score
I found the pics under different thread. Apparently you have 2 threads going on the same issue one for 2018 and one for 2019 Equinox. Also, I have no paint issues so the dealerships I use in Northern VA shouldn't be of interest to you.

Becky

Reaction score
I just checked the forum post and there are no pictures. Maybe the pictures are from this forum post

I'm wondering if it is a specific paint color. My Olympic/Summit white does not have any issues
Yes that is where the pics are located.
See below screen shot
I found the pics under different thread. Apparently you have 2 threads going on the same issue one for 2018 and one for 2019 Equinox. Also, I have no paint issues so the dealerships I use in Northern VA shouldn't be of interest to you.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8727.png
    IMG_8727.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 1

Becky

Reaction score
Yes-I posted about my bubbling in the thread called “3rd Gen: 2018+ Current Chevy Equinox

Members online

No members online now.