2018 Won't Turnover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFisch

Reaction score
Hi all,
Bought a 2018 FWD 1.5LT end of March. This is the first time I have ever purchased a car solo. I am 1,000 miles under the 4100-mileage warranty but was 5 days over the 100-days when my car was towed from the gas station to the repair shop. The issue is I turned it off, fueled up, and when I went to turn it back on to leave it kept making the starting noises but would never turnover. The repair shop called and said it was sensors and spark plugs and the warranty people would cover the sensors even though I am over the warranty. Well, now they're saying they replaced the parts, and it is still doing the same thing so they're thinking it is a computer or a wiring issue. Has anyone else experienced this? I am so nervous right now.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
When you say it is making starting noises, but not turning over, do you mean the starter was cranking, but the engine wouldn't start?

SFisch

Reaction score
Yes. It has now been towed to the dealership. They think it’s the O2 sensor and Firestone replaced the crank sensor instead.

SteveK

Reaction score
Starter bendix? But what do sensors have to do with not turning over the engine, no igniting maybe.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Bad O2 sensor should still run. Sounds more like a bad MAF, but you have to start with the basics, like SteveK suggested. Does it have spark? Does it have fuel?
Hopefully the dealer can sort it out quickly.

SFisch

Reaction score
They called, $1900. The vacuum pump seized up which caused a cascade of other problems and repairs.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
SFisch,

I am sorry to hear this. Apparently this has been an ongoing issue with GM products. There are recalls on older models for this issue. When the pump fails it sends shrapnel flying toward surrounding parts. It can even ruin the engine. If I were you, I would ask to speak to the warranty person at your dealer. Tell them you know this has been an issue and it should be a recall.
How many miles are on your nox?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
The warning signs for this are ticking noise from the back of the engine, hard brake pedal, and unintentional activation of the secondary hydraulic brake assist system. They say if you have a hard brake pedal, stop driving right away.

SFisch

Reaction score
SFisch,

I am sorry to hear this. Apparently this has been an ongoing issue with GM products. There are recalls on older models for this issue. When the pump fails it sends shrapnel flying toward surrounding parts. It can even ruin the engine. If I were you, I would ask to speak to the warranty person at your dealer. Tell them you know this has been an issue and it should be a recall.
How many miles are on your nox?
I bought it through Carvana, used, at the end of March so there’s that :( lessons learned. It’s 61,000

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
If you are at a Chevy dealer, I would still ask to speak to the warranty person. I would also report it NHTSA.gov or call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236
I don't know much about carvana, but it is Chevrolet's issue.

SFisch

Reaction score
Good to know! Thank you. I'm sitting here nervous again awaiting their call. I called earlier today and left a message checking on the status of it and haven't heard anything. I am hoping they are going to call, and say get it, it's ready! :-/

Members online