2019 Equinox paint on hood edge is bubbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John H.

Reaction score
Thanks. I do the same but haven’t found any others except on this forum. I have informed GM about this forum. I really can’t see how they could refuse to replace my hood when it’s apparent that this has been an issue for years not just on an equinox, but on other models of Chevrolet.
Not just Chevrolet. My 2006 Ford had an aluminum hood and it also corroded and bubbled. It was a common issue for them.

Becky

Reaction score
Good to know. Sounds like the supplier of the hoods need to be held liable for an inferior product or is it the paint process used by the car companies that causes the corrosion to occur?

NHEquinosD

Reaction score
The information I received from the Chevy dealership, body shop manager, the aluminum hood has to be prepped and cleaned with zero contaminants. Sprayed with a special sealer and then painted. Any contaminates and the separation and oxidation occur.

Becky

Reaction score
Thanks. I heard similar as to why the hood is corroding now because it wasn’t made correctly to begin with.

bagbyjw

Reaction score
After reading through the forum post, I'm wondering if the issues is specific to a color?

I just purchased a 2022 Equinox LS Summit/Olympic white and it has no issues. The car has been in the southern states, cold, hot, hot as hades, humid and damp conditions and currently resides in North West Georgia

Becky

Reaction score
My 2019 has the same exact issue. It was a small spot when I first bought it and thought it was touch up paint. Has spread like herpes. After researching, only thing I could find was corrosion from the aluminum. I spoke with a body shop and they said they've come across it on a few other gm vehicles.
Hi! Did you ever contact GM, a body shop or dealer about getting it fixed?
Consumer Protection wants me to get a diagnosis (which I already did and what was relayed to me I put in the complaint form)! Anyway, I’m contacting Consumer Protection again about what GM is supposed to be doing to settle my complaint. I am thinking of going back to the body shop I originally contacted to get them to do an estimate

Becky

Reaction score
After reading through the forum post, I'm wondering if the issues is specific to a color?

I just purchased a 2022 Equinox LS Summit/Olympic white and it has no issues. The car has been in the southern states, cold, hot, hot as hades, humid and damp conditions and currently resides in North West Georgia
Hi! My car is a navy blue. Other posts have shown white, silver and pepper dust color. It’s just an inferior group of hoods GM is using and they need to go back to their supplier I think.

Equinox 2019

Reaction score
Anyone else have/had this issue? I bought the car in Jan 2023. First noticed the bubbling in early summer following a brushless car wash. I contacted GM and learned I have a corrosion warranty, but the 2 dealerships I went to say it’s not covered because this occurred from chipping and there’s no “rust through hole”! Body shops say that they could fix the hood and repaint it, but the bubbling will come back eventually because the corrosion is in the seam along the edge. What to do?!? I like the car, but am particular about the look of my cars, and in my over 50 years of driving used and brand new cars, never, ever had an issue such as this! I am thinking of trading the car in, but of course, the value of the car, is now lower partially because of this issue.
I am currently having this issue with my 2019 Equinox (black). I called GM and a very monotone woman who clearly hates her job had no answers for me other than "I will have someone call you". I took it to the dealership that I purchased the car at in 2019 and the body shop manager told me that it is indeed a known factory defect in GM cars from 2011 - 2021... Some contaminants in the dipping process as I understood it. These peeled off in chunks very randomly. As you can see there is extensive bubbling around the chip. This has chipped off since I took these photos. I will pursue GM to make the repairs as it is due to their negligence 100%.

Attachments

• 2019 chevy Equinox.jpg
    2019 chevy Equinox.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2019 Chevy Eqinox, Pic 2.jpg
    2019 Chevy Eqinox, Pic 2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 3

Becky

Reaction score
I am currently having this issue with my 2019 Equinox (black). I called GM and a very monotone woman who clearly hates her job had no answers for me other than "I will have someone call you". I took it to the dealership that I purchased the car at in 2019 and the body shop manager told me that it is indeed a known factory defect in GM cars from 2011 - 2021... Some contaminants in the dipping process as I understood it. These peeled off in chunks very randomly. As you can see there is extensive bubbling around the chip. This has chipped off since I took these photos. I will pursue GM to make the repairs as it is due to their negligence 100%.
Hi! I just ended up with a NO from GM to replace my hood after filing my claim with the Consumer Protection Bureau. I sent print outs of my car, screen shots from this forum, and giving them a diagnosis/estimate from a local Chevy dealer. GM did talk to the body shop service manager and specifically asked only if there was a “hole” in the hood. Unfortunately, there is no rust-through hole so the corrosion warranty wouldn’t cover it! This is such BS because the body manager said he has seen many vehicles with this issue. So YES, it is a known issue. The Consumer Protection Bureau will not pursue it because there are not enough claims filed with them on this issue. They don’t have the resources to handle complaints unless there are many complaints on an issue. Let me know if you have better luck to get your issue resolved. My next step is contacting a lawyer, if I can find one, and possibly get a class action suit. Will post on my original post here what happens.

Becky

Reaction score
Anyone else have/had this issue? I bought the car in Jan 2023. First noticed the bubbling in early summer following a brushless car wash. I contacted GM and learned I have a corrosion warranty, but the 2 dealerships I went to say it’s not covered because this occurred from chipping and there’s no “rust through hole”! Body shops say that they could fix the hood and repaint it, but the bubbling will come back eventually because the corrosion is in the seam along the edge. What to do?!? I like the car, but am particular about the look of my cars, and in my over 50 years of driving used and brand new cars, never, ever had an issue such as this! I am thinking of trading the car in, but of course, the value of the car, is now lower partially because of this issue.
Hi! I just ended up with a NO from GM to replace my hood after filing my claim with the Consumer Protection Bureau. I sent print outs of my car, screen shots from this forum, and giving them a diagnosis/estimate from a local Chevy dealer. GM did talk to the body shop service manager and specifically asked only if there was a “hole” in the hood. Unfortunately, there is no rust-through hole so the corrosion warranty wouldn’t cover it! This is such BS because the body manager said he has seen many vehicles with this issue. So YES, it is a known issue. The Consumer Protection Bureau will not pursue it because there are not enough claims filed with them on this issue. They don’t have the resources to handle complaints unless there are many complaints on an issue. Let me know if you have better luck to get your issue resolved. My next step is contacting a lawyer, if I can find one, and possibly get a class action suit. Will post my progress.

Becky

Reaction score
I just ended up with a NO from GM to replace my hood after filing my claim with the Consumer Protection Bureau. I sent print outs of my car, screen shots from this forum, and giving them a diagnosis/estimate from a local Chevy dealer. GM did talk to the body shop service manager and specifically asked only if there was a “hole” in the hood. Unfortunately, there is no rust-through hole so the corrosion warranty wouldn’t cover it! This is such BS because the body manager said he has seen many vehicles with this issue. So YES, it is a known issue. The Consumer Protection Bureau will not pursue it because there are not enough claims filed with them on this issue. They don’t have the resources to handle complaints unless there are many complaints on an issue. Let me know if you have better luck to get your issue resolved. My next step is contacting a lawyer, if I can find one, and possibly get a class action suit. Will post on my original post here what happens.

Becky

Reaction score

JohnM2020

Reaction score
Just joined the Forum today because of this very issue and (dis)heartened to see I am not alone. I have a 2020 Equinox (Silver) and the bubbling is similar to what several of you described. I am the original owner and live in Connecticut. Willing to join any action against GM in order to rectify this. Thanks!

Becky

Reaction score
Hi! I just ended up with a NO from GM to replace my hood after filing my claim with the Consumer Protection Bureau. I sent print outs of my car, screen shots from this forum, and giving them a diagnosis/estimate from a local Chevy dealer. GM did talk to the body shop service manager and specifically asked only if there was a “hole” in the hood. Unfortunately, there is no rust-through hole so the corrosion warranty wouldn’t cover it! This is such BS because the body manager said he has seen many vehicles with this issue. So YES, it is a known issue. The Consumer Protection Bureau will not pursue it because there are not enough claims filed with them on this issue. They don’t have the resources to handle complaints unless there are many complaints on an issue. Let me know if you have better luck to get your issue resolved. My next step is contacting a lawyer, if I can find one, and possibly get a class action suit. Will post on my original post here what happens.
Curious if anyone has paid to have it fixed and what the cost may be.
I’ve been told that fixing it isn’t a guarantee it won’t come back but my quote was about $1200 to fix and about $2200 for a new hood.

Members online

No members online now.