Sticky steering requiring tug to change lanes during interstate driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillPressler

Reaction score
We are the original owners of a '19 LT 1.5L without the lane-assist feature/option. Wife's car but I drove it 100 miles on the interstate last week and noticed, as I had once about 30K miles ago (dealer could not duplicate, naturally), that the steering felt 'sticky' and to even change lanes required a pretty-good tug on the wheel. Apparently no TSB's on this although Gen 2 models had this issue. Anybody here have it on their 2018-23 models? I did find this recent report on an 'Equinox problems' page online, same issue as mine:

1 Steering problem of the 2019 Chevrolet Equinox
Failure Date: 01/13/2023
I own a 2019 chevy Equinox which has developed an issue with the steering, the same as occurred with earlier models. When driving straight for brief periods of time, the steering resists turning either direction to follow the road changes. The wheel is stiff and requires additional effort to adjust. I only have about 30k miles on my car. This is very uncomfortable and lacks for any feeling of security. This could cause a skid on icy and snowy roads that we have now. I see there is no recall for this but I am very concerned for my wife driving the car. This is now a regular occurrence and at any speed

Again, wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced this. Thank you in advance.

CoolDad

Reaction score
We had a streaming wheel position sensor go bad on a Bonneville SSEi years ago. It only showed up if we made a quick movement of the wheel. It didn't have to be a large move, only that it had a rapid initiation. The dealer couldn't find the problem until I figured out about the rapid rate of change.

CoolDad

Reaction score
We had a streaming wheel position sensor go bad on a Bonneville SSEi years ago. It only showed up if we made a quick movement of the wheel. It didn't have to be a large move, only that it had a rapid initiation. The dealer couldn't find the problem until I figured out about the rapid rate of change.
Steering wheel position sensor.

CoolDad

Reaction score
I believe these have electric power steering. I replaced the motor on a Saturn before and it fixed its jerky steering issues. They are located on the steering column under the dash. 2 bolts and a wiring harness. Also if you have the lane guide on it wants to keep you in the lane unless you use your blinker.

Last edited:

TopHat

Reaction score
It could be your power steering, and here are several potential reasons:

Members online

No members online now.