Fuel Economy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
You might need some premium fuel.

Premium fuel doesnt increase MPG's unless it has a higher % of gasoline vs ethanol compared to the lower octane fuel

I have my new to me I4....MPG's are worse then the impala, going to wait till next month when the fuel chart doesnt have muliple cars on it, but I'm going to guess around 26mpg @ 75.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Makes a big difference in my Aurora just kinda figured it went all the way around like that.

I know cara sure do run better on premium.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
Makes a big difference in my Aurora just kinda figured it went all the way around like that.

I know cara sure do run better on premium.

Its all a myth my friend...

Octane Rating is pretty simple to explain....Octane increases the combustion temp of fuel, the higher the number, the more resistant the fuel is to uncontrolled combustion, when the fuel is more resistant the engine can compress the fuel more with out it exploding BEFORE it is suppose to (knock).

If your car is STOCK, and rated for 87...you will receive the same MPG, POWER, and "Cleaning" running regular vs premium. If your car is rated for 91, and you run 87, your car will have REDUCED POWER vs running preium because your engine will pick up more "knocking" and adjust the timing as required because the combustion is not happening when the ECM is expecting it too.

This is what makes SIDI engines unique.....We are able to run high compression (the 3.0L is 11.7:1 which is insane for 87)....The reason for this fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder at the time of combustion, so you do not need to worry about it exploding before hand. Now DI setups still need premium on certain setups, I run 89 and I'm happy (I have aggressive timing adjustments remember)...the 2.0L SIDI Turbo because of the nature of HOT setups (high output turbos), needed the resistance to combustion.

20Nox10

Reaction score
My Equinox has over 42,000 miles already and on long road trips I've had an avg of about 32-34 mpg. Did get 590 miles on a tank once all highway. I avg about 26-27 mpg with city driving.

frog45102

Reaction score
Very Poor MPG

I am getintg about 24 on a 4Cyl, I have had preformance issues and GM siad that the preformance issue is caused by havnig the ECO mode engauged in Mountain areas and should not be used except on flat highway. The part of Ohio I live in is realativly flat. The dealer has had my nox for over 3 weeks trying to figure out the preformance issues

As far as the ECO mode goes, i think is is a bit fishey that this is apparently how GM got the High MPG from the government but as a consumer i was not told that i realy should not use it. I wonder why they don't put that on their comercials after they braig about the ratings

A comment from GM was that if they bought it back it would only be at a used car price, I guess they figure they can profit from bad and defective work, Can any of us do that and keep our jobs?

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I am getintg about 24 on a 4Cyl, I have had preformance issues and GM siad that the preformance issue is caused by havnig the ECO mode engauged in Mountain areas and should not be used except on flat highway. The part of Ohio I live in is realativly flat. The dealer has had my nox for over 3 weeks trying to figure out the preformance issues

As far as the ECO mode goes, i think is is a bit fishey that this is apparently how GM got the High MPG from the government but as a consumer i was not told that i realy should not use it. I wonder why they don't put that on their comercials after they braig about the ratings

A comment from GM was that if they bought it back it would only be at a used car price, I guess they figure they can profit from bad and defective work, Can any of us do that and keep our jobs?

Sounds like they reflash the computer.
From my understanding the Government found and rated the I4 noxes at 32 mpgs when they were performing their standardized tests. GM just advertised those results on their tests.

Not saying that the vehicle cannot achieve that. It's just how and where you drive.

I have driven my V6 and reached 29mpgs. But that all changed once I went off the highway and it came back down to 25 by the time I filled up!

I bet that if you set Eco mode on at 60mph with cruise on for 600 miles on flat ground you would get 32+ mpgs...

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score

The problem is the PUBLIC has no clue how the EPA standards are set...If you would actually read up on it,

Runs PURE gas (gas w/ ethanol will get less mpg)
Max speed 60mph
Speed is brought up on a DYNO (so no wind resistance/no hills)
Speed is brought up by test drivers at a regulated pace
No A/C for 2/3's of the test

I can get 27mpg average on my I4 Nox.....Anything above 60 and the MPG takes a huge nose dive

If you want better numbers...Simply slow down! And btw...putting "eco" on while at cruise really defeats the purpose of Eco...Its designed for around town, not at cruise, as it offers NO benefit when you have cruise set other then when you go to pass someone, its a tranny shift map and TC lock-up change. Use ECO around town. These are great little setups for getting good mpg around town....

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I am getting around 26 to and from work still, I do know I need to add air to the tires, they are down a bit.

08PILOT

Reaction score
I checked my tires last night, hummm, not good.
29 to 30 psi
that's what happens when it goes from 100* to 60*
I guess I need to add some air to them.
:ROFLJest:

Less fluctuation on Nitrogen :waytogo:

ptco911

Reaction score
First tank of gas getting 23.6 city/highway. Have the I4 and hope this improves as the break in is completed.

Bowtieman21

Reaction score
first tank was 21.7mpg mostly highway, second tank so far about half tank through 23.7. with a V6 and using cruise alot.

Members online