2024 Equinox AWD Vibration at 35mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rjohnson

Reaction score
Am I correct that this is only a problem with the 2024 with AWD?
Has the drive train changed. In the past this type of vibration at certain rpm was caused by universal joints, even newly installed. Could it be that simple, a new model year supplied with faulty UJ

Rjohnson

Reaction score
I think its in the engine. its not speed related its rpm related as it does it at all speeds when your close to 1200 rpm. Also the engine was updated in 23 with 5 more horsepower and that's when they started to have engine vibrations problems. These are the 2 TSB's that were listed on my service report. There not that easy to find. I used a different search engine to locate 23-na-129, 21-na-122. What ever it may be they refused to fix it and want 4k to trade up into another vehicle after 2.5 months of ownership. In their words they want to charge for selling me a defective vehicle! DONT BUY ONE! DON'T BUY GM!! They are no longer standing behind there products

SteveK

Reaction score
I think its in the engine. its not speed related its rpm related as it does it at all speeds when your close to 1200 rpm. Also the engine was updated in 23 with 5 more horsepower and that's when they started to have engine vibrations problems. These are the 2 TSB's that were listed on my service report. There not that easy to find. I used a different search engine to locate 23-na-129, 21-na-122. What ever it may be they refused to fix it and want 4k to trade up into another vehicle after 2.5 months of ownership. In their words they want to charge for selling me a defective vehicle! DONT BUY ONE! DON'T BUY GM!! They are no longer standing behind there products
I answered based on the title of the thread @ 35MPH. Sure it could be engine related if duplicated at an rpm at any speed.
an extra 5HP caused this.

Macwho

Reaction score
The transmission shifts into 6th gear, which is overdrive, at about 32 mph causing the drivetrain to vibrate as though you had a standard shift transmission in too high of a gear! When you speed up to about 40mph the vibration disappears. Try putting the transmission shifter in L and press the H on the shifter until it shows 5 on the dash indicator. Drive the car up through 35-40 mph, guess what? No vibration! Over 40mph simply press the H on the shifter again for 6th gear overdrive. As a bonus when you shift into L the engine stays on as opposed to stopping and re-starting at every stop light. Yea this is some kind of BS that the car vibrates I had it in for this on 3 occasions and there isn’t any solution because GM has no intention of rectifying it. If I had known about this I wouldn’t have leased this Car.

Jprussel1

Reaction score
Am I correct that this is only a problem with the 2024 with AWD?
Has the drive train changed. In the past this type of vibration at certain rpm was caused by universal joints, even newly installed. Could it be that simple, a new model year supplied with faulty UJ
No we have a 2023 FWDthat has the save issue. GM says the same thing there’s nothing wrong and that’s normal

No Tyme

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread as we were looking yesterday at the 24 Equinox's. We currently have a 17 w/ V6 AWD and we're thinking of upgrading, but this may change our focus to the Blazer.

Rathmullan

Reaction score
I also took delivery of this AWD Equinox on 1/13/2024 , from West Herr Chevrolet Hamburg NY, and on the drive home took notice of the drive line vibration. I brought it up to the Salesman, loan Manager, Service Manager, Mechanic and finally the Branch Manager. We took the Car in twice to no avail and was told it’s inherent to the vehicle because of Federal mileage standards! It’s because the transmission shifts into the higher gear at apx. 32mph and the car vibrates until you reach apx. 40 mph. Chevrolet is aware of this but hasn’t come up with a re-program for the transmission computer to resolve the problem. So GM knows about it but doesn’t appear to be doing anything about it at this point. Maybe there needs to be a class action lawsuit filed as I’m sure us proud 2024 Equinox owners may have bought other cars had we known about this!
Its in the engine and I don't believe it has anything to do with lugging in high gear as it does it in all gears but mostly noticeable in high gear simply because you are able to maintain the rpm for a longer duration making the vibration more noticeable ---I believe it affects all platforms AWD/FWD. At least that's what the service manager Joseph said as he pointed to another equinox, the one he said a technician took for a ride and is doing the same thing so its deemed normal? Normal so they don't have to fix it? Normal so they can upcharge you if you don't want to live with a new defective car? Normal so they can continue to sell these defective new cars to the public with out being transparent? The used car manager said if we take it on trade we have to charge you an additional 4k so we can make a profit on it when we resell it. The only thing there being transparent about is that there willing to sell a new vehicle that has a serious defect with out a fix and then resell in to another unfortunate individual. These people live in a different reality
I'm guessing the "fix" is relegated to the new '25 model year where GM is now using a CVT for FWD version and an 8 speed for AWD. Though someone with a Terrain voiced the same problem so the 9 speed in the Terrain didn't help (although he did say it only occurs below freezing).

Macwho

Reaction score
I'm guessing the "fix" is relegated to the new '25 model year where GM is now using a CVT for FWD version and an 8 speed for AWD. Though someone with a Terrain voiced the same problem so the 9 speed in the Terrain didn't help (although he did say it only occurs below freezing).

Macwho

Reaction score
The vibration in my 24 Equinox starts at about 32-34 MPH when it shifts into 6th gear which is overdrive and quits at about 40 MPH. It also vibrates when trying to downshift as you slow down or are coming to a stop. Try this, start the car and put the shifter into L, press the H until it shows 5 on the dash display. Now drive the car and keep it under 40 MPH. NO VIBRATION! It only vibrates because it shifts into overdrive or 6th gear at too low of a speed!

Rjohnson

Reaction score
The transmission shifts into 6th gear, which is overdrive, at about 32 mph causing the drivetrain to vibrate as though you had a standard shift transmission in too high of a gear! When you speed up to about 40mph the vibration disappears. Try putting the transmission shifter in L and press the H on the shifter until it shows 5 on the dash indicator. Drive the car up through 35-40 mph, guess what? No vibration! Over 40mph simply press the H on the shifter again for 6th gear overdrive. As a bonus when you shift into L the engine stays on as opposed to stopping and re-starting at every stop light. Yea this is some kind of BS that the car vibrates I had it in for this on 3 occasions and there isn’t any solution because GM has no intention of rectifying it. If I had known about this I wouldn’t have leased this Car.
I don't believe it has anything to do with lugging the engine as it also does it during deceleration. There is a prominent vibration around 1200 in all gears. Evidently GM and the dealership think its ok to sell defective vehicles and refuse to fix them.

Rjohnson

Reaction score
The vibration in my 24 Equinox starts at about 32-34 MPH when it shifts into 6th gear which is overdrive and quits at about 40 MPH. It also vibrates when trying to downshift as you slow down or are coming to a stop. Try this, start the car and put the shifter into L, press the H until it shows 5 on the dash display. Now drive the car and keep it under 40 MPH. NO VIBRATION! It only vibrates because it shifts into overdrive or 6th gear at too low of a speed!
Nope!

Rjohnson

Reaction score
It's normal in these cars. 6th gear at these speeds gets a certain frequency of resonances due the low RPM of the engine. Adjust your speed or downshift to a lower gear.
your welcome to but I don't believe one should have to drive an automatic like a manual to avoid and engine defect especially on a new vehicle

Rjohnson

Reaction score
I took my '24 AWD Premier in for problem with Lane assist and I mentioned this to the DealerService Writer ... He said he has the same thing with his own '24.. He said its the 1.4 engine. It's under powered, thats why it has the Turbo. I feel the vibe and then let go of the gas and then gas it again and it is gone. I don't know if this the answer or if anyone else has the same issue and result.
There junk and they don't want to stand behind them and they want an additional 4200 dollars to trade up after about 2 months of ownership

Macwho

Reaction score
There junk and they don't want to stand behind them and they want an additional 4200 dollars to trade up after about 2 months of ownership
You’re correct it is way underpowered. 1.4 L is only about 96 cubic inches so they Turbo it, but it’s still underpowered! My MC has a more powerful engine. Mine is a lease so I’m stuck with it for a while. The weather is breaking so I’ll drive my 2007 Mustang when the weather is good and no snow or salty roads.

SteveK

Reaction score
You’re correct it is way underpowered. 1.4 L is only about 96 cubic inches so they Turbo it, but it’s still underpowered! My MC has a more powerful engine. Mine is a lease so I’m stuck with it for a while. The weather is breaking so I’ll drive my 2007 Mustang when the weather is good and no snow or salty roads.
I cannot imagine having a 1.4. The 2.0 is as low as I will go, for now.

Members online