2024 Equinox AWD Vibration at 35mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tewigo

Reaction score
We recently took delivery of the AWD Equinox. We get a strong "power train" vibration around 33 to 40 MPH (with AWD off). The dealer says he has heard several complaints about this but offers no solution. Any help?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
tough to diagnose without driving. bearings, axles, tires out of balance, bad alignment....
I would be a royal pain in the service managers behind. Write some bad reviews. call daily until they try something. If none of that works, it maybe lemon law time. document it and take video.

gary255

Reaction score
I had a 2018 Equinox AWD that did the same thing in cold weather. Put it in AWD and the problem was gone. Had it to the dealer a number of times for this issue and was never resolved. Now driving a 2021 GMC Terrain AWD purchased new and does the same thing when temp dives below freezing. I just learned to live with it.

Billh

Reaction score
It's normal in these cars. 6th gear at these speeds gets a certain frequency of resonances due the low RPM of the engine. Adjust your speed or downshift to a lower gear.

Jprussel1

Reaction score
We have a 2023 that we’ve had the dealer multiple times for the same issue and the dealer told us they’re not sure what it is.

AnnsEquinox

Reaction score
This is so bullshit. My mom has a 2024 as well, and it does that same thing. We've pinpointed it to 36mph where it starts to rumble. She's had it at two dealers and they both say it's normal.
I'd think you'd seen a ton of threads on an issue like this if it was "normal".

Guzica

Reaction score
I took my '24 AWD Premier in for problem with Lane assist and I mentioned this to the DealerService Writer ... He said he has the same thing with his own '24.. He said its the 1.4 engine. It's under powered, thats why it has the Turbo. I feel the vibe and then let go of the gas and then gas it again and it is gone. I don't know if this the answer or if anyone else has the same issue and result.

ricklack

Reaction score
My 22 RS does not do this - so what changed between then and now?

In 23 the 1.5 went from 2022's 170 hp LYX to 2023's 175 hp LSD. Wondering what they changed in the engine to achieve this? That may lend a clue why it has this issue?

Billh

Reaction score
I checked this out on my car yesterday. Driving in AWD in 6th gear the vibration/drone happens at around 1200 RPM/37 MPH. Downshift or increase/decrease the speed.

Macwho

Reaction score
We recently took delivery of the AWD Equinox. We get a strong "power train" vibration around 33 to 40 MPH (with AWD off). The dealer says he has heard several complaints about this but offers no solution. Any help?
I also took delivery of this AWD Equinox on 1/13/2024 , from West Herr Chevrolet Hamburg NY, and on the drive home took notice of the drive line vibration. I brought it up to the Salesman, loan Manager, Service Manager, Mechanic and finally the Branch Manager. We took the Car in twice to no avail and was told it’s inherent to the vehicle because of Federal mileage standards! It’s because the transmission shifts into the higher gear at apx. 32mph and the car vibrates until you reach apx. 40 mph. Chevrolet is aware of this but hasn’t come up with a re-program for the transmission computer to resolve the problem. So GM knows about it but doesn’t appear to be doing anything about it at this point. Maybe there needs to be a class action lawsuit filed as I’m sure us proud 2024 Equinox owners may have bought other cars had we known about this!

Last edited:

Rjohnson

Reaction score
for the record I took delivery in Dec. 2023 on a 2024 with the same problem. A vibration/drone around 1200 rpm. Brought it in and says they are aware of the problem but no fix---wow! new vehicle and they can't fix it! I'm appalled by the behavior of both gmc and the dealership I bought it from in lakeville mn. I did some research on service bulletins and the one listed on service report is 23-na-129 which explains these symptoms to a T. According to the website gm has known of this problem since Sept of 23 and their still shoving them out the door every day!! and on top of that they have ignored me when I asked for a price on a different model. I will be returning to the dealership soon to get a price. will see what they are willing to do for me but my guess they will expect me to give them extra money for selling me a defective vehicle with no fix!! DO NOT BUY AN EQUINOX!

StuBlue

Reaction score
So this is just with the AWD version? Glad I dodged that bullet when I bought mine.

Billh

Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with it. It’s just a bit of personality. I like personality.

Rjohnson

Reaction score
So this is just with the AWD version? Glad I dodged that bullet when I bought mine.
per the service department any vehicle that vibrates around 1200 rpm is on the customer--be sure if you test drive to pay attention so you don't make the same mistake I did--- UPDATE! The dealer wants to charge me an additional four thousand dollars to trade in for something else---I think I may pursue a buyback. Any suggestions?

Annt

Reaction score
I had my 2024 Equinox in twice for the droning/ groaning. Both times service says GM is aware of problem but doesn’t have a fix for it. I’m so mad..

Billh

Reaction score
per the service department any vehicle that vibrates around 1200 rpm is on the customer--be sure if you test drive to pay attention so you don't make the same mistake I did--- UPDATE! The dealer wants to charge me an additional four thousand dollars to trade in for something else---I think I may pursue a buyback. Any suggestions?
I doubt that you could pursue and win a buy back. There has to be a unrepairable defect and this is not a defect. I came from a 2016 Equinox AWD 2.4 that I owned since new to this 2024. Overall, this 2024 is a much more refined car than the 2016 was. Or do you have to drive exactly at 1200 rpm/37mph/60kmh all the time?

Rjohnson

Reaction score
I doubt that you could pursue and win a buy back. There has to be a unrepairable defect and this is not a defect. I came from a 2016 Equinox AWD 2.4 that I owned since new to this 2024. Overall, this 2024 is a much more refined car than the 2016 was. Or do you have to drive exactly at 1200 rpm/37mph/60kmh all the time?
what is the definition of a defect? look it up--GM can say its normal but its not. well I guess you have to experience it for your self to really know how bad it is . I never in my lifetime purchased a new vehicle that had an engine vibration like this. I does it during acceleration and deceleration so when riding in town where rpm changes constantly makes the experience from a new vehicle unacceptable. like you said new vehicles should be more refined but on this one they went backwards. I just sold a 10 year old car that had a similar motor and it was a smooth as butter. I'm going to call some lawyers this week and see if I have a leg to stand on----either way I'm the victim and I'm done with GM TSB 23-NA-129

Rjohnson

Reaction score
Its in the engine and I don't believe it has anything to do with lugging in high gear as it does it in all gears but mostly noticeable in high gear simply because you are able to maintain the rpm for a longer duration making the vibration more noticeable ---I believe it affects all platforms AWD/FWD. At least that's what the service manager Joseph said as he pointed to another equinox, the one he said a technician took for a ride and is doing the same thing so its deemed normal? Normal so they don't have to fix it? Normal so they can upcharge you if you don't want to live with a new defective car? Normal so they can continue to sell these defective new cars to the public with out being transparent? The used car manager said if we take it on trade we have to charge you an additional 4k so we can make a profit on it when we resell it. The only thing there being transparent about is that there willing to sell a new vehicle that has a serious defect with out a fix and then resell in to another unfortunate individual. These people live in a different reality

Billh

Reaction score
Its in the engine and I don't believe it has anything to do with lugging in high gear as it does it in all gears but mostly noticeable in high gear simply because you are able to maintain the rpm for a longer duration making the vibration more noticeable ---I believe it affects all platforms AWD/FWD. At least that's what the service manager Joseph said as he pointed to another equinox, the one he said a technician took for a ride and is doing the same thing so its deemed normal? Normal so they don't have to fix it? Normal so they can upcharge you if you don't want to live with a new defective car? Normal so they can continue to sell these defective new cars to the public with out being transparent? The used car manager said if we take it on trade we have to charge you an additional 4k so we can make a profit on it when we resell it. The only thing there being transparent about is that there willing to sell a new vehicle that has a serious defect with out a fix and then resell in to another unfortunate individual. These people live in a different reality
I guess my car ain’t bad like yours is. You should have bought a KIA or Lada.

SteveK

Reaction score
Am I correct that this is only a problem with the 2024 with AWD?
Has the drive train changed. In the past this type of vibration at certain rpm was caused by universal joints, even newly installed. Could it be that simple, a new model year supplied with faulty UJ

Members online