2021 - stop/start does not seem to work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jro

Reaction score
My parents just bought a 2021 Premier. The salesman said it has start/stop. I does not actually do it. I have been all over google. It seems the 2021 should also have a button on the dash next to the flashers to disable the start/stop. This vehicle doesn't have that button. Is there something wrong that the start/stop doesn't work. It's not cold/hot here. Just upper 70's. AC / heat were not on high. My mom is a bit of a nervous driver and I'm worried if it does suddenly start/stop she might freak out. I don't assume there's a chance this vehicle does not have it? It seems 2018+ has it?

ricklack

Reaction score
That's odd. Unless the Premier has it in a different location, it appears to be missing. I'd take it to the dealer and ask them to show you where it is.

As far as it freaking your Mom out, it is almost imperceptible unless you have the windows down.

jro

Reaction score
That's odd. Unless the Premier has it in a different location, it appears to be missing. I'd take it to the dealer and ask them to show you where it is.

As far as it freaking your Mom out, it is almost imperceptible unless you have the windows down.
We rolled the windows down last night. There's no way it's stopping. I've heard cars with this feature while I've been walking on the road next to them. It's certainly noticeable externally. I'm sure I'd have heard it with the windows rolled down.

SteveK

Reaction score
People have been adding a dongle into the line near top of rad. It defeats the auto stop.

JBR

Reaction score
My parents just bought a 2021 Premier. The salesman said it has start/stop. I does not actually do it. I have been all over google. It seems the 2021 should also have a button on the dash next to the flashers to disable the start/stop. This vehicle doesn't have that button. Is there something wrong that the start/stop doesn't work. It's not cold/hot here. Just upper 70's. AC / heat were not on high. My mom is a bit of a nervous driver and I'm worried if it does suddenly start/stop she might freak out. I don't assume there's a chance this vehicle does not have it? It seems 2018+ has it?
I have a 2021 Equinox. It did not come with a start/stop disable button. If your start/stop system is not working, it is most likely disabled by the use of a short wire bypass device under the hood. IMHO, you are much better off if it is disabled. Before I disabled mine, I found it to be very annoying.

onslow

Reaction score
2018 Premier here. I would say it either has the dongle installed near hood latch to disable s/s or the battery may be nearing time for replacement. My car stopped doing s/s for months then battery died and when replace s/s was back. I think I read car checks the condition of battery on start up and if it doesn't pass the test it disables s/s.

ravenblack67

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, all GM vehicles since 2018 have auto start stop. A bypass button was added in 2021. According to the 2021 Equinox Owners Manual, the bypass button may not be installed. Look at the tachometer. If you see the A or auto between 0 and 1000 it is equipped. The only way to know for certain is to read the RPO codes on the door jamb. The dealer can verify for you as well. here is a link: https://www.chevrolet.com/support/vehicle/driving-safety/driver-assistance/automatic-stop-start

Flash

Reaction score
My wife's 2021 Premier supposedly has it, but no button do I see. Nor does it seem to bother us if it indeed, is stopping at any point.

renossuv

Reaction score
From my experience with my NOX, there could be two things why it is not working. First, the battery charge my not be high enough (i.e 12.3v, 65%) when you start up the vehicle. Secondly, previous owner had installed the Start Stop Eliminator cable. When I would charge my battery over night, the Start Stop would work for a day or two, then it quit working again. I do not like the Start Stop feature, as when it shuts off the engine and lights and accessories are on, the battery starts to drain. Watch the DIC (Battery charge feature). This is why I personally installed the Start Stop Eliminator cable on my Vehicle so the battery is always charging at the stop lights.

Severum17

Reaction score
The tachometer on my 2018 is marked when the engine shuts off. Auto stop I think it says. As others said you may have the small harness installed on the hood latch that disables it. It looks pretty much like a factory harness.

Flash

Reaction score
The tachometer on my 2018 is marked when the engine shuts off. Auto stop I think it says. As others said you may have the small harness installed on the hood latch that disables it. It looks pretty much like a factory harness.

Ours does also and I never see the needle go down there when stopping at a red light

Abrat

Reaction score
I also have the same model and it does have the stop/start. And it does NOT come with an off switch next to the flasher. That was a 2022 addition they did. If you don’t press your foot heavy on the brake pedal, you can actually not activate the annoying function at a stop.

Members online

No members online now.