2018 Equinox Heater Blower Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TessaNorth

Reaction score
I’ve noticed that when I remote start my vehicle, my fan does not kick in. My climate control is manual (dials) Here’s what I’ve tried so far to see if it kicks in, none of these methods worked:
-starting with both the remote and app.
-starting with the Dan speed at medium and low
-running remote start for 20 mins instead of 10
-remote start at -4c
-remote start at -20c
-remote start after driving for 20 mins

The owners manual says it should run at the settings it was set at when it gets turned off. There is nothing in my touch screen vehicle comfort or climate control settings and nothing in my dash controls.

Dealership is at a loss, no clue what’s happening.

Given its winter and I live in Northern Alberta, would be nice to have the fan defrost my windshield!

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing ,just finding out because it just got cold here .Air worked fine last summer .I have been experimenting the past few days,turned up the fan and the temps ( dual zone ) max and it did work
Other thing I noticed is a high pitch whine from the blower/fan motor @ low speed ,radio needs to be low or off to hear it .

Pauline

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Going to see dealer who sold me the car. Isn't this the whole reason for remote start to get into a warm car! Very disappointed

Pcrecord

Reaction score
I also have the ISSUE and will try to put everything to max. But I'm sure it's a software issue...
If they can do auto defrost, it shouldn't be a problem...

Pauline

Reaction score
Tried putting fan on high the night before..nothing. have my dealership looking into it. Hopefully they will find an answer.

gpart

Reaction score
I checked mine via remote start on two occasions over 2 separate days. There don't appear to be any issues with the blower and settings in mine, as far as I can tell.

"Auto" settings turn on fan (I've got mine set to low) and turns on the rear auto defrost (I set this in the "Settings" under "Vehicle"), even if the rear window doesn't have frost on it (I'm guessing it's all related to the temperature the system perceives).

I don't know if it matters but mine is an early build and purchased it in mid-April.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
My rear defrost come on with the remote start also .
Mine was built the 2nd day of production . 1/10/17 Ordered in November of 16 ,was not able to take delivery until March because of quarantine

Pauline

Reaction score
The last two replies...do u two have a 2018 equinox LT? Yes funny how rear defogger works! Still waiting to hear from my dealer.

Pcrecord

Reaction score
I also have the issue, the heated seat and rear defrost works but not the fan/heat
This happens below 7c and it works when temperature is higher. I tried putting everything to full and all other suggestions.
I called my dealer which said they received a note to not work on this trouble because GM is working on an update for the computer.
This is very unfortunate but I guess we will have to wait.
I have an appointment for my tires in 2 weeks and hope they will get it before then.

TessaNorth

Reaction score
Yes it’s very disappointing. The first time I ever have had command start and I still need to go outside and start my car. Chev corporate customer service replied to a Facebook message I sent regarding th issue and they’re looking into it and contacting the dealer.

Pcrecord

Reaction score
Ok just for those like me who are still waiting ;
Last weekend, I went to the dealer and they did 3 system updates available form GM and it didn't fix the problem. The dealer will contact head office and report the problems still exist.
Again, fans remote start work when outside temperature is higher then 7 degrees but won't when temp is lower...

gpart

Reaction score
Ok just for those like me who are still waiting ;
Last weekend, I went to the dealer and they did 3 system updates available form GM and it didn't fix the problem. The dealer will contact head office and report the problems still exist.
Again, fans remote start work when outside temperature is higher then 7 degrees but won't when temp is lower...

Do you know what the updates were for?

Pauline

Reaction score
Ok got mine fixed!!!needed a software update.it was a code 99ed0.program hvac control module as per 17na388. Hope this helps you

Pcrecord

Reaction score
YES got mine done too.. Finally ! HVAC CTRL MODULE Code 9934D

JLM1990

Reaction score
Has anyone found any resolution to this problem? I recently traded in my 2014 equinox for a 2018, and I am EXTREMELY disappointed. My biggest "haggle" was remote start, and due to these issues I basically feel like I do not even have remote start! Had I known, it would have been a deal breaker on trading in my previous equinox which was in great condition!

c&wsinbad

Reaction score
Has anyone found any resolution to this problem? I recently traded in my 2014 equinox for a 2018, and I am EXTREMELY disappointed. My biggest "haggle" was remote start, and due to these issues I basically feel like I do not even have remote start! Had I known, it would have been a deal breaker on trading in my previous equinox which was in great condition!

The entries just above your post give the resolution for those who had experienced this.

Members online