2011 equinox stalling issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
well it would not do it and they messed with it most of the day. The tech did load the update that has been of for a few weeks. I will see if it helps.
They did put a new temp sensor on the evaporator, that seems to have made the AC work a lot better.

As of right now I have been up 36 hours with no sleep, time for bed

HollyBud

Reaction score
My 2010 Nox makes the same noise on start up. I had it at the mechnic I go to (used to be a Chevy dealership) and he said that it was the starter disengaging. Does this make sense to anyone?
It does not do it all the time....but when it does, it's loud.

I also can not stand the ticking when it idles!!

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
My 2010 Nox makes the same noise on start up. I had it at the mechnic I go to (used to be a Chevy dealership) and he said that it was the starter disengaging. Does this make sense to anyone?
It does not do it all the time....but when it does, it's loud.

I also can not stand the ticking when it idles!!

Ha, the ticking is normal. I think I had my diesel and my nox in for this. But there was nothing wrong.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Having direct injection causes the ticking sound, idling at 1200 psi will cause a tic.
You should hear a Cobalt SS/TC idle, they idle around 1400 psi.
The guy that did the inspection on my 2008 SS freaked out at first when he heard it idling.

I can tell you that the rattle I hear is not the starter.

djvsantana

Reaction score
we have experienced the same problem. It just stalled on my wife today while she was driving. We have been having an issue with a loud rattling noise on startup also. Im so frustated at what the response is from the dealership. They say they are waitning for a fix from GM, but im not gonna sit around waiting for a week or two, im taking it in monday and wether or not they can fix it im leaving it there and demanding a rental on there dime. Its frustrating to know that you have an unreliable NEW model vehicle that you know you payed so much for.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
Having direct injection causes the ticking sound, idling at 1200 psi will cause a tic.
You should hear a Cobalt SS/TC idle, they idle around 1400 psi.
The guy that did the inspection on my 2008 SS freaked out at first when he heard it idling.

I can tell you that the rattle I hear is not the starter.

The HPFP (fuel pump) is a chain cam driven pump. This is the "ticking" you are hearing. Then add the fuel injectors in DI engines are not injectors as we normally think of them, instead they are solenoid valves.

hurler83

Reaction score
same rattling noise

hey everyone. i'm having the same rattling noise at cold engine start up on my new 2011 4 cyl nox as many of you are . Just got the car on June 16. noise started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. told the dealer when i had it in for something else that broke and the dealer said they would need it overnight to duplicate the noise. had it in last week and they said they heard the noise when they started it cold in the morning. I told the dealer about all the other people on these forums with the same problem. dealer didn't even want to hear it. they changed the timing chain tensioner and kept the car an extra day to start it cold twice. called me and told me it was fixed. got the car back last thur. started it friday morning and the rattle is still there. Immediately called the dealer and told them it's still rattling. service director sounded like he didn't believe me. It happened again over the weekend 3 different times. dealer picked it up today and said they are going to get to the bottom of this. they won't even acknowledge that GM/Chevy is aware of the problem. I told the dealer today that they have 2 more chances to fix it and if not i'm invoking the lemon law. here in Mass. the lemon law says they get 3 chances to fix it and if not, they have to give me a refund or a new car. I'll keep you all posted but it sounds like to me that GM/Chevy has a major problem on their hands with these 4 cyl engines being defective and don't know what to do about it.

It is so frustrating with a brand new car. I just got rid of my '02 trailblazer because of major engine problems and got this new nox so i wouldn't have any more problems. so much for that.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
hey everyone. i'm having the same rattling noise at cold engine start up on my new 2011 4 cyl nox as many of you are . Just got the car on June 16. noise started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. told the dealer when i had it in for something else that broke and the dealer said they would need it overnight to duplicate the noise. had it in last week and they said they heard the noise when they started it cold in the morning. I told the dealer about all the other people on these forums with the same problem. dealer didn't even want to hear it. they changed the timing chain tensioner and kept the car an extra day to start it cold twice. called me and told me it was fixed. got the car back last thur. started it friday morning and the rattle is still there. Immediately called the dealer and told them it's still rattling. service director sounded like he didn't believe me. It happened again over the weekend 3 different times. dealer picked it up today and said they are going to get to the bottom of this. they won't even acknowledge that GM/Chevy is aware of the problem. I told the dealer today that they have 2 more chances to fix it and if not i'm invoking the lemon law. here in Mass. the lemon law says they get 3 chances to fix it and if not, they have to give me a refund or a new car. I'll keep you all posted but it sounds like to me that GM/Chevy has a major problem on their hands with these 4 cyl engines being defective and don't know what to do about it.

It is so frustrating with a brand new car. I just got rid of my '02 trailblazer because of major engine problems and got this new nox so i wouldn't have any more problems. so much for that.

I know it sucks and I bet they get a fix for this soon.

I mean heck. It took toyota almost 2 years to get the electronics checked for the acceleration stick when all it was was the floor mats.

I can't even remember how long it took ford to chase down all those vehicles with firestone tires that caused roll overs or the cruise control sensor that cause vehicle fires in 1000s of trucks and suvs. I bet they get it right with the lemon law threat...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Hope they can fix it, but I would not expect them to be able to till GM finds out how to fix it.

hurler83

Reaction score
update on engine rattle

on thur july 21 i got my nox back after 2 full days in the shop. they changed the timing chain tensioner. Started it up that night and the rattle was still there at cold start up. same thing friday morning. I called the dealer back and they told me to bring it in monday july 25. the dealer had it for 3 days trying to duplicate the rattle at start up. they said they couldn't after multiple starts. I picked up the car on wed july 27 and did a drive around with the service manager. no rattle on multiple start ups. Have had it since then and have had no more rattle at all from engine on cold start ups. So, I think it may be fixed. Maybe the new timing chain tensioner did the trick. Not sure why it took a day or two of driving it for the new tensioner to work but it seems to have solved the problem. Will keep everyone posted if I get the engine rattle back but so far, so good.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
on thur july 21 i got my nox back after 2 full days in the shop. they changed the timing chain tensioner. Started it up that night and the rattle was still there at cold start up. same thing friday morning. I called the dealer back and they told me to bring it in monday july 25. the dealer had it for 3 days trying to duplicate the rattle at start up. they said they couldn't after multiple starts. I picked up the car on wed july 27 and did a drive around with the service manager. no rattle on multiple start ups. Have had it since then and have had no more rattle at all from engine on cold start ups. So, I think it may be fixed. Maybe the new timing chain tensioner did the trick. Not sure why it took a day or two of driving it for the new tensioner to work but it seems to have solved the problem. Will keep everyone posted if I get the engine rattle back but so far, so good.

Here's to looking up! Thanks for letting us know.

frog45102

Reaction score
My 2011 Equinox cuts out and shudders at times. 4Cyl sometimes wiht the ECO mode on. I have hit on level ground at around 50 MPH accellerating slightly. It also almost quit when i pulled out in rush hour trafic ( right turn from stop ) , I about got hit by a truck, the engine power cam back on and jumped into the left lane. ( ECO mode NOT enabled ) Good thing it wasn't on a 2 lane road, it might have ended in a head on colision. I have had it in the dealership prior to this for the runing rough issues, they say that there isn't anything they can do because the ECM isn't recording any issues . Chevy came back today and said it is the Fuel presure dropping and causing the issue, but it is designed that way in the ECO mode and that the ECO mode should not be used except for open flat highway. I think that Chevy had botched up the 4 Cyl deployment completly and is trying to hide that fact and make it sound like it is nothing, hope no one gets killed with this type of antics

Blademan

Reaction score
Problems with Equinox

I just bought an Equinox in July, just started having problems with it stalling (stop and go traffic) - if you want action - go to the source - forget the dealership - called GMC in Detroit Customer Assistance - 1.800-222-1020

Members online