2010 Equinox LTZ 3.0L - Stalls once engine warm. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

servocam

Reaction score
I'm working on a 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ with 3.0L. I do not know the entire state of the engine before working on it. It has 178k miles on it. Initial issue I'm aware of was it was in limp mode, and low oil pressure. Oil light was on, Check Engine Light was on, Service Stabilitrak notice. Timing chain was bad and oil pump was replaced which solve those. Also cam sensor was replaced and it has a new fuel pump. Also have (2) PCM's for it. The old and a new.

New PCM gives a P0315 Crankshaft Position System Variation not learned, which is understandable since it is a new PCM. The old PCM does not give this code.
It has (4) permanent codes, P0016, P0019, P0017 and P0315 on the new PCM. This PCM was in when timing was out.

Right now there are no codes, no check engine light, it starts, idles great, and will drive and transmission shifts until the engine gets warm. Once the engine is warm, it becomes almost unresponsive to the throttle and the engine stalls. You have to let it cool down before it starts running properly again...but once it gets back up to temp, the engine will die. It will sit and idle fine, but once you push the accelerator pedal, when it comes back to an idle, it will idle rough and stall. You can try to throttle through it, but will still end up dying.

Any thoughts what could be wrong?

Last edited:

servocam

Reaction score
Started it back up today, still get the odd issue when it gets warm, the engine dies. Someone w/ their Chevy had a bad transmission (overheating) that was causing their engine issues. I plugged my Launch diagnostic tool in and went into transmission data and temps are all good, no faults. I also cleaned the MAF sensor.

I was however getting the following:

There are 6 issues for Power system:
1.Crankshaft Position - Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 2
2.Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Control Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2
3.Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
4.Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 2
5.Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2
6.Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned

#6 is from the new PCM, so expected. I'm going to put the old PCM in and check again. I'll post results, but again, if anyone has any ideas, please pass them along.

servocam

Reaction score
I put the Old / original PCM in and it started, no codes. After warming up a bit, I get O2 sensor errors. Then once it is warmer and starts to run rough, I get Crank & Cam sensor errors:

There are 7 issues for Power system:
P0017-00 Crankshaft Position - Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 1
P0019-00 Crankshaft Position - Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 2
P0024-00 Exhaust Camshaft Position System Performance Bank 2
P0056-00 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Control Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0158-00 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0160-00 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0161-00 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2

Any comments on these?
P0017-00 Crankshaft Position - Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 1
P0019-00 Crankshaft Position - Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 2
P0024-00 Exhaust Camshaft Position System Performance Bank 2

servocam

Reaction score
I was noticing that the exhaust timing was not changing in my diagnostic scanner. I replaced both Exhaust Camshaft actuator solenoids (Bank 1 & Bank 2) and the P0017, P0019, and P0024 errors went away. I can now see the exhaust timing change.

I'm still having some issue that I'm trouble shooting. After it warms up, the rough idle came back and it died. Odd but the battery was still dead, so currently on the charger so I can get it started and see if any new codes.

Does this POS care about Bank2 Sensor 2 being bad?

Members online

No members online now.