2014 equinox awd 2.4 gas LT stabilitrak and low engine power 5 codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tillisd

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a 2014 chevy Equinox AWD 2.4 Gas LT that went into limp mode while driving about a week ago. Stabilitrak and Low engine power light up. We can get it over 40 with some feathering of the gas. It would come and go for the first couple of days. Had the codes read at autozone and replaced both O2 sensors per their recommendation. That lowered the codes from 12 to 7 with two of the 7 repeating themselves. We still have the problem most of the time (she has to drive to work and back) Today it died as I was backing it out of the drive way. fired back up long enough for me to park it on the road. When she got in to go to work she had to keep on the gas to get it to remain running. She didn't mention if she had to to remain idle at stop lights, so I think it runs well enough once it warms up a little.

The codes are: P228C, P0090, P0092, P00C8, and P00CA

Not sure if applicable, but it burns about a quart of oil a week since she bought it from JD Byrider about 1.5 years ago. All they did was clean the PVC valve and sent her on her way about a year ago... I am pretty sure she runs it down until the engine sounds "funny" and pours in about 2-3 quarts at a time...

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
With those codes all pointing to fuel pressure, I would guess that you need a new high pressure fuel pump.

tillisd

Reaction score
Update, she drove it more and now gas is gushing out of the attachment following the engine cranking. It is leaking on the engine side like where the threads would be. I doubt it is as simple as tightening. Would a clocked hpfp cause back pressure forcing the gas out?

Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9368.jpeg
    IMG_9368.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 5

Fabregas22

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a 2014 chevy Equinox AWD 2.4 Gas LT that went into limp mode while driving about a week ago. Stabilitrak and Low engine power light up. We can get it over 40 with some feathering of the gas. It would come and go for the first couple of days. Had the codes read at autozone and replaced both O2 sensors per their recommendation. That lowered the codes from 12 to 7 with two of the 7 repeating themselves. We still have the problem most of the time (she has to drive to work and back) Today it died as I was backing it out of the drive way. fired back up long enough for me to park it on the road. When she got in to go to work she had to keep on the gas to get it to remain running. She didn't mention if she had to to remain idle at stop lights, so I think it runs well enough once it warms up a little.

The codes are: P228C, P0090, P0092, P00C8, and P00CA

Not sure if applicable, but it burns about a quart of oil a week since she bought it from JD Byrider about 1.5 years ago. All they did was clean the PVC valve and sent her on her way about a year ago... I am pretty sure she runs it down until the engine sounds "funny" and pours in about 2-3 quarts at a time...
Hey, I had the same stabilitrak light on my dash after installing new ball joints.... just do an alignment and then u should be good 👍

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
To properly test the HPFP you will need a scanner that can show you the requested pressure at the rail vs the actual pressure. If there is a variance, the next step is to determine why. The pump is driven by the intake camshaft. If timing chain has slipped by a tooth, that would effect the control of fuel pressure and limp mode issue. If tuning is good, fuel pump itself may be failing. Try removing dip stick and smelling oil. If strong scent of gas, then likely pump has internal failure that is allowing fuel into head as well as not holding pressure. That too can cause limp mode.

Members online

No members online now.