2011 equinox stalling issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

godrdop9

Reaction score
Last night my Nox died, and Check engine light came on; had it towed to dealer. I forget what they said the actual issue was. I'm thinking he said Cam issue. I also called Onstar while I had the light on and they gave me a verbal report. Hasn't showed up on diagnostic screen on my profile yet. Will be repaired around Friday.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
cam position sensor is what I am betting on, seems to be that they last forever or go out in the first few thousand miles.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
That is really weird.

There is also a safety feature with the steering. This feature was meant for roll overs or any type of wreck that would cause the steering to be jammed hard left or right. I have heard people say they experiences stalling when making sharp turns. Mostly when backing up...

If you experienced this you may need to have the dealer check the sensors out..

godrdop9

Reaction score
Hey guys, got my Equinox back on Thursday,(after filling up the Rental silverado's gas tank,DOH!) and here is what the paperwork said: Camshaft position sensor replaced,replaced 2 solenoids,replaced intake and exhaust camphasers. Says bulletin pip4716a. They also changed the oil, all under warranty.

godrdop9

Reaction score
Yeah, gas mileage is up 1.5 miles per gallon already. Only thing that seems off is it seems as though there is a "hesitation" to downshift or get going, but I may just have been spoiled by the insta-thrust of the silverado i rented,lol. PS, insta-thrust is my word and cannot be used without express written consent! ;)

jonrobbins

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old 2010 Equinox LT AWD with only 7,500 kms on it(5000 miles). Beginning in January of this year, I'd be driving and then all of the sudden the vehicle would stall and I'd get no response from having my foot on the gas pedal. There'd be no warning. No warning lights, no sounds indicating anything was wrong. The radio would still work, the interior would still be lit up, just the engine would suddenly become unresponsive. So I'd turn the engine off, start it back up then drive home. This has happened several times.

Most recently, this week it happened again. I was driving, I was going around a corner and the the engine just stopped responding. I couldnt restart the engine for 15 minutes and then the engine stalled again 5 minutes after getting it started. I was able to get it back home. In total I've had problems approximately 5 times since January.

I took it to my dealership and they said they can't find anything wrong after taking it for a test drive. Well, I told them it only happens once or twice a month and it's driving fine today. They said bring it in when it happens, but how can I do that if it happens during the evening or weekends when they're closed?

I'm very frustrated. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned. This equinox is going to get me killed.

Has anyone experienced anything similiar? I'd appreciate any suggestions that others may have.

godrdop9

Reaction score
Mr. Robbins do you still have Onstar? As soon as I had my issue I pressed the button and told them I was having an issue. They confirmed it and said it would be noted. Maybe you could try that.

jonrobbins

Reaction score
I do have Onstar. I will most certainly be contacting them next time. I should have done it previously when it happened I suppose.

godrdop9

Reaction score
Just an update, My Equinox is starting to hesitate on accelaration after starting again and I noticed it was getting louder but my roommate told me he could hear it and he usually doesn't hear NUTHIN',lol. So back to dealer on Fri/Sat...

godrdop9

Reaction score
Update: Took it back to the dealer, they pretty much said not to use the ECO button,lol. All the issues I was having was in Eco mode, so we'll see if it gets better. Also, the technician said that a few days before I brought the Equinox in, a Bulletin was released for the ticking noise. Tomorrow they will install a cover that will quiet the noise, which I believe is a fuel pressure pump or something. If I find the bulletin number I'll post it

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
So did you ask them if GM installed the ECO button for us to look at. I leave my Terrain in ECO most of the time.
Hope they can fix the ticking sound.

thecolty

Reaction score
2011 Equinox stalling at red lights.

This morning my 2011 Equinox with 1500 miles stalled on me. 4 minutes from home, only 1 mile away. At the red light it started to pulse and I could feel it move back and forth. The tachometer was pulsing between 400 and 500 RPM. Light changed, hit the gas and it died. Threw it into park, started it up again and made it to the next light where it happened again. I pulled over into a parking lot to try and get it to happen again with no luck. I did have Eco mode on...

I am waiting to see what the dealer says, but I guess from this thread (after all the odometer chat that was useless) I would not be surprised if they said don't use Eco mode, at least wait until your engine is warm. Maybe better gas with less ethanol?

Staff online