2011 equinox stalling issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hurler83

Reaction score
update on engine rattle

Here's the update on my 2011 equinox engine rattle. After about 3 weeks from the dealer saying it was fixed rattle came back. Went into dealer this past monday. Still there today. Even though service director would not acknowledge that gm has come out with a fix (replacing the cam actuators) they decided to do it anyway. Completed replacing the cam actuators yesterday. Got a call this morning from service director saying the rattle is still there. He told me that their GM factory rep is now telling them to use a heavier grade oil and see if that fixes it. At this point, obviously GM and the dealers have no idea what to do about this problem I and everyone else is having with this defective 4 cyl. engine. Since this is the 3rd time they have tried to fix it I am now going to invoke the Massachusetts lemon law, which says the dealer has 3 chances to fix the problem, and if not, they must purchase the vehicle back. Anyway, what a nightmare. If you are considering buying an equinox 4 cyl. don't do it. GM is never going to admit there's a problem because then they would have to do a recall and they won't do that because this would cost them millions and millions so forget it. GM obviously doesn't stand by their vehicles any more. I've always been a chevy guy, but enough is enough. Never again.

wrusprod

Reaction score
GM just had the Final Repair attempt on mine, per the Michigan Lemon Law..They get one more chance to try to fix it.

well Dealer had it for a week, said they couldnt duplicate the rattle noise (they have on past repair orders)..so its ready for pickup..

the Dealer and the GM district supervisor are clueless to any fixes or that they have even heard this issue...

I would not be surprised to see this issue continue with the 2012 2.4 I-4 engines too.

nox-rocks

Reaction score
GM just had the Final Repair attempt on mine, per the Michigan Lemon Law..They get one more chance to try to fix it.

well Dealer had it for a week, said they couldnt duplicate the rattle noise (they have on past repair orders)..so its ready for pickup..

the Dealer and the GM district supervisor are clueless to any fixes or that they have even heard this issue...

I would not be surprised to see this issue continue with the 2012 2.4 I-4 engines too.

I'm sure loving my Ford, maybe give Ford a chance.

wrusprod

Reaction score
I'm sure loving my Ford, maybe give Ford a chance.

I almost bought a Ford Escape..I have had 6 new GM vehicles in past 25 years..if i do get to replace with the lemon law, i will pay the extra for the v6..

nox-rocks

Reaction score
I almost bought a Ford Escape..I have had 6 new GM vehicles in past 25 years..if i do get to replace with the lemon law, i will pay the extra for the v6..

If I would have got the V6 I might have been happier, still curious to see how the tranny issues pan out for you all.

hurler83

Reaction score
most recent update on 2011 nox rattle

So, the service director calls me friday afternoon to tell me that the GM engineer in Detroit is now telling him to replace the Camshaft actuators that they just replaced on Thursday with another new set. Get this, the GM engineer tells my dealer that they think there might be a bad batch of Cam actuators that they received. You've got to be kidding me???? So I asked the service director if they got a bad batch that originally went into the 2011 equinox's that were built initially. Of course he couldn't speak to that. So, still no vehicle back. This is it. If it's not fixed after this second cam actuator replacement they better replace this equinox. I've had it with GM and their lack of credibility at this point. The dealer has really been fantastic through this so far so we'll see what happens when I invoke the lemon law now.

thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll post next week after I hear something on monday.....Now I have to deal with this hurricane on Mass south coast tonight/tomorrow.

wrusprod

Reaction score
So, the service director calls me friday afternoon to tell me that the GM engineer in Detroit is now telling him to replace the Camshaft actuators that they just replaced on Thursday with another new set. Get this, the GM engineer tells my dealer that they think there might be a bad batch of Cam actuators that they received. You've got to be kidding me???? So I asked the service director if they got a bad batch that originally went into the 2011 equinox's that were built initially. Of course he couldn't speak to that. So, still no vehicle back. This is it. If it's not fixed after this second cam actuator replacement they better replace this equinox. I've had it with GM and their lack of credibility at this point. The dealer has really been fantastic through this so far so we'll see what happens when I invoke the lemon law now.

thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll post next week after I hear something on monday.....Now I have to deal with this hurricane on Mass south coast tonight/tomorrow.

i was told by a friend who works at GM here in Detroit, that some engineers told him that their was a bad batch of actuators put in the vehicles AND possibly used same batch in replacement parts...he told me that a recall should be going out to the vehicles with the bad parts, and a calibration...this was in June..he said this recall would be in September...

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
They have 2 different ones and recall 11195A list the part # that has to be used.

mjackson

Reaction score
Stalling issues

a recall has been issued for the stalling issue. Camshaft position actuator solenoid on 2011 models dealer will reprogram the engine control module and replace camshaft position actuator solenoid valves

wrusprod

Reaction score
still no fix for the rattling startup noise....

i had the actuators replaced in June for the stalling and engine code P0011.

GM still doesnt have this completely resolved yet..

hurler83

Reaction score
New Update:
Got my nox back yesterday after dealer changed out the cam actuators a second time with new stock, instead of the old stock, as instructed by the GM engineer. They also were told by the GM engineer to change oil to a 15W-40, which they did. NO rattle at start-up so far after several cold start-ups the last 36 hours. Will keep everyone posted if it starts rattling again but hopefully this is finally fixed and they can fix others out there by putting in the new stock of Actuators and doing this same fix. However, if the rattle comes back again they have already said the Mass. lemon law will require GM to replace my nox with a new one. According to the Mass. lemon law the dealer had their 3 chances to fix and then GM had their one chance to fix. So, if it's fixed for good then I'll be happy. If not, then GM will be replacing this vehicle.

On a side note it looks like I am already getting better gas mileage as a result of the fix. since i've had the car back I am getting 24.9 mpg city. Haven't been on the highway yet to track the highway mpg so we'll see what that is when the time comes. Before the fix I was getting about 19-20 mpg city.

The only other issue now is the glove box above the radio has been opened twice and broken twice. I heard other people are having problems with this also, but I consider this minor compared to what I've been through with the engine. Also, the parts to fix the glove box above radio is on backorder. Maybe because so many other people are having the same problem with it breaking they ran out of stock to fix these.

I must also say that my dealer was really fantastic through this whole process. Knowing the engine rattle problem wasn't their fault they, especially the service director, was very patient with me and understood my frustration and anger at times. But as I told them, it was never personal with them, as it was GM's responsibility to resolve the matter since it certainly has turned out to be defective parts in the engine. The service director also told me they are changing / have changed the 4 cyl engines for the 2012 nox models. Gee, I wonder why.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to inform everyone dealing with the same issue and so they could maybe inform friends dealing with the same issue.

Cheers and have a great holiday weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

cameronwevans

Reaction score
So I’ve got a 2010 Chevy equinox that was purchased new in the summer of 2009. In July 2011 with 20k miles the car stalled in the driveway, no engine light or warning light of any kind went on. It started right back up but has since stalled when coming to s stop or slowing to under 5 mph 6 times since July. It’s been at the dealer twice and they can’t find anything that registers on their diagnostics tests and are at a loss on how to rectify the issue. It’s getting pretty frustrating to drive a car that is no longer safe to drive. Before I drive it back to the dealer to leave it there and throw the keys through the window and walk away, anyone have similar issues?

rbiggers

Reaction score
Well, we've had a battery problem and a computer problem, but not really like your stalling issue. The dealership was able to pull the codes each time and figure it out.

I would give your dealership one more shot to fix it. If they can't, then I think at that point you can lemon law it. I believe the dealer has 3 shots to fix it, then lemon law can take effect.

nofeaar1966

Reaction score
Stalling issue

this happened to me this morning (twice) and there's a recall # 11195 Reprogramming the ECM at the same time the camshaft positin actuator solenoid (12646783/ 784z) are replace as vital, I called my dealer this morning and tehy are aware of the problem, I have an appt to get it fix tomorrow also for some reason an oil change is a must.

Members online

No members online now.