New Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WeAre138

Reaction score
My 2011 LT1 has succumbed to the oil consumption disaster and am in need to the new timing chain kit and pistons just like thousands of others.

What my options are:

1) Keep adding oil all the time.
2) Sell the car and get something else, not telling of the issue.
3) Repair the parts to where they need to be: $3,083.61
4) Dealer installs new GM motor: $3,605.15

I need to keep the vehicle but have never replaced an engine in a car before. I have 136k mi. on it now and it has been fantastic to us otherwise.

Any pointers on either replacing just the timing chain and pistons or would it be wiser to drop a new GM engine in its place that comes with warranty in case something, or this again, shows up?

Dropping a new engine in there seems both worrisome and smart at the same time but I can't tell which is correct.

Thanks.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
How much oil are you using and at what mileage?

If it were me, and I were adding let's say a quart or 2 between oil changes... My idea would be to add oil until you found the best deal on trade for a new one. I personally would not have bought the 4 cylinder engine and bought the v6. It's not that much of a difference on fuel and has more power!

Members online