Really bad gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessica

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 equinox lt awd. Can anyone tell me why it's saying I'm getting 16.1 miles per gallon city?? Bopught it Used, one owner and only 34770 milage.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
I could see it with the 2.0 if you were city driving and doing a lot of quick starts from red lights, but that is excessive. Normal City for your 'nox is 26mpg.
There are plenty of things that could cause it. bad injector. evap leak. MAF sensor. o2 sensor...
Is the check engine light on?

jessica

Reaction score
I could see it with the 2.0 if you were city driving and doing a lot of quick starts from red lights, but that is excessive. Normal City for your 'nox is 26mpg.
There are plenty of things that could cause it. bad injector. evap leak. MAF sensor. o2 sensor...
Is the check engine light on?
No there aren't any lights

jessica

Reaction score
A diagnostic will reveal the issue.
A diagnostic was performed when the used car place received the car. The report the car lot sent me doesn't have anything noticeable that would indicate any problems such as the one I'm currently experiencing. I just bought the car on the 10th.

bagbyjw

Reaction score
Using proper octane of gas? When was last oil change? When was last filter(s) changed? Tire pressure correct?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but I would view any report from the seller as suspect.
Me too! The Dealer/seller will hide all kinds of things from a buyer. I bought a truck from a dealer that had body filler in the frame. The dealer took it back in trade and sold it at auction. I found it 2 weeks later for sale at another dealer. I checked the car fax and it didn't show any frame work being done to it. It was swiss cheese! They use companies like Maaco, because they won't report it.

CPG

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 equinox lt awd. Can anyone tell me why it's saying I'm getting 16.1 miles per gallon city?? Bopught it Used, one owner and only 34770 milage.
I bought a new 2023 Equinox LT FWD in Maryland last year. I live in the eastern part of the state which is mostly coastal plain and small rolling hills. Just passed the one-year mark yesterday and getting fantastic gas mileage. The photo was probably my second best 50 mile run ever. Summer I usually average around 36 to 38..... During the winter I was getting 34 to 36.

Attachments

• IMG_20240430_101345326_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240430_101345326_HDR.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 7

Vondoman

Reaction score
I bought a new 2023 Equinox LT FWD in Maryland last year. I live in the eastern part of the state which is mostly coastal plain and small rolling hills. Just passed the one-year mark yesterday and getting fantastic gas mileage. The photo was probably my second best 50 mile run ever. Summer I usually average around 36 to 38..... During the winter I was getting 34 to 36.
1.5…2.0? Turbo?

CPG

Reaction score
1.5…2.0? Turbo?
For the 2023 model year, the only engine offered was the 1.5 L turbo. After living with it for a year, I do not find myself wanting for more power. it has plenty of power and torque for what I use the car for. I'm retired, never do any towing usually never more than two people in the car. Love the engine so far and I certainly wouldn't be getting this gas mileage if I had a bigger one that I do not need.

Jimer

Reaction score
figure on actual gallons and miles driven for accurate MPG.

CPG

Reaction score
figure on actual gallons and miles driven for accurate MPG.
I've done that twice... Both times I was within 0.1MPG of what the dash computer said. I reset trip odometer B at every fill up... You know when you're getting 490 mi out of a 13 gallon fill-up... you're doing okay.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, did you happen to reset the mpg screen? I’m wondering if the previous owner never reset it and it’s showing it for the entire 34k mileage.

Members online

No members online now.