Very important information for turbocharged engines.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95-007

Reaction score
If you have a turbocharged engine in your Equinox, or any other GM vehicle, compare the oil filter installed to the suggested (insisted) filter in the owners manual. If the filter is not the same, replace it with the correct listed filter as soon as possible.

I have a first gen Equinox and a ‘17 turbocharged Cruze.
I discovered that mechanics and dealerships were under the impression that the old faithful, PF64 filter was an equivalent to the manufacturer suggested UPF64R.
I did a little research and discovered that among a few other differences, because of the extreme heat, the PF64 filter is incorrect and may cause engine or turbo damage for the following reason.
The PF64 uses a rubber anti flow-back valve in its construction. With the higher heated oil associated with the turbo, this anti flow-back can harden and warp, bypassing the protection of the filter.
The UPF64R uses high temp silicone for the valve that stays supple throughout the life of the filter.
My discovery started with a very large Chevy dealer putting the wrong filter on my daughter’s Cruze, and her boyfriend (later) trying to get the oil drain bolt off, finding it jammed on, (another story).
Because I always change my own oil, I knew about the unique filter and saw she had the wrong unit installed. I called the dealer and the service manager insisted the PF and UPF were equivalents. I did the research and contacted Chevrolet and was given the same answer. I asked for a callback from an engineer and talked to him about it a week later. He promised to look into it. This was in 2019. In 2023, I was having warranty work done on the Equinox at a different dealer, was first in line for the morning and noticed the service manager arrived in a 2018 with turbo. Through conversation, slow day, she mentioned that her engine had to be changed within the first 40k miles and I mentioned the confusion with the filters.
She got onto a GM service flash site and found a recent doc indicating never to substitute a UPF64R with a PF64. They finally got it right. She mentioned that her car had a PF on it when it failed and she was going to have the mechanic put the correct filter on that same day.
The flash also suggested no other manufacturer substitutes as “equivalent” filters may not have the correct material installed.

Please check your owners manual for the proper filter.
In the case of the Cruzes UPF64R, I always have to eBay order a couple for my and now my daughters car. She won’t go to a mechanic anymore. To this day, I can’t find the UPF in auto stores.

Last edited:

gbynum

Reaction score
Our 2022 LT Equinox, 105 liter turbo, manual calls for GM 12696048 / 12706595 or ACDelco PF64

95-007

Reaction score
I read that the main upgrades in the UPF were heavier canister for higher oil pressures, greater density in the filter element and the hi temp silicone back-flow valve.

I wonder if GM went ahead and eventually replaced the original rubber valve in the PF, or across the board in favor of silicone?

Billh

Reaction score
I did my first oil change at 537 miles. Here is the filter that was on it. I replaced the filter with a Purolator BOSS PBL11403.

Attachments

• IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 13

95-007

Reaction score
That Purolator certainly is listed as an equivalent to the UPF64R. Looking at the PF64 you removed, it's gone through an artwork change from those that preceeded it. I wonder if GM just quietly upgraded the 64 to at or near UPF standard. Thanks for showing the original. Here's a picture of what PF64 has looked like for the past decade or 2.PF64.jpg

Billh

Reaction score
That Purolator certainly is listed as an equivalent to the UPF64R. Looking at the PF64 you removed, it's gone through an artwork change from those that preceeded it. I wonder if GM just quietly upgraded the 64 to at or near UPF standard. Thanks for showing the original. Here's a picture of what PF64 has looked like for the past decade or 2.View attachment 2222
That filter was installed by the factory.

Attachments

• IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 10

95-007

Reaction score
Yes, the departue from the artwork over the past couple of decades in favor of the latest style leads me to believe that the canister that came from the factory as well as subsequent new cans may have been upgraded. Out of curiosity, I may try and get one of the newer looking cans and compare it to an older PF64. If I do, I'll post it to this same thread.
GM does some funny things with their parts. A case in point, moving back to the UPF64R for a moment, the very same filter comes in either a black or chevy blue can. The difference? The black can uses a Neoprene filter-to-mount seal and the blue uses Silicone. The internals are the same. No wonder the engineer I spoke with back in 2019 had to research the PF / UPF differences himself.

ravenblack67

Reaction score
If you have a turbocharged engine in your Equinox, or any other GM vehicle, compare the oil filter installed to the suggested (insisted) filter in the owners manual. If the filter is not the same, replace it with the correct listed filter as soon as possible.

I have a first gen Equinox and a ‘17 turbocharged Cruze.
I discovered that mechanics and dealerships were under the impression that the old faithful, PF64 filter was an equivalent to the manufacturer suggested UPF64R.
I did a little research and discovered that among a few other differences, because of the extreme heat, the PF64 filter is incorrect and may cause engine or turbo damage for the following reason.
The PF64 uses a rubber anti flow-back valve in its construction. With the higher heated oil associated with the turbo, this anti flow-back can harden and warp, bypassing the protection of the filter.
The UPF64R uses high temp silicone for the valve that stays supple throughout the life of the filter.
My discovery started with a very large Chevy dealer putting the wrong filter on my daughter’s Cruze, and her boyfriend (later) trying to get the oil drain bolt off, finding it jammed on, (another story).
Because I always change my own oil, I knew about the unique filter and saw she had the wrong unit installed. I called the dealer and the service manager insisted the PF and UPF were equivalents. I did the research and contacted Chevrolet and was given the same answer. I asked for a callback from an engineer and talked to him about it a week later. He promised to look into it. This was in 2019. In 2023, I was having warranty work done on the Equinox, was first in line for the morning and noticed the service manager arrived in a a 2018 with turbo. Through conversation, slow day, she mentioned that her engine had to be changed within the first 40k miles and I mentioned the confusion with the filters.
She got onto a GM service flash site and found a recent doc indicating never to substitute a UPF64R with a PF64. They finally got it right. She mentioned that her car had a PF on it when it failed and she was going to have the mechanic put the correct filter on that same day.
The flash also suggested no other manufacturer substitutes as “equivalent” filters may not have the correct material installed.

Please check your owners manual for the proper filter.
In the case of the Cruzes UPF64R, I always have to eBay order a couple for my and now my daughters car. She won’t go to a mechanic anymore. To this day, I can’t find the UPF in auto stores.
Very helpful information. I have been using PF64 but no more. I found UPF64R on Rock Auto for $7.74 each.

Billh

Reaction score
When I was at the dealer service department getting my new trailer hitch installed, I checked the parts department for oil filters. PF64 was not in stock at the dealership but was at their warehouse. I asked about UPF64R and they had many in stock. Price? $4.46 each. I bought three.

Attachments

• IMG_1938.jpeg
    IMG_1938.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1939.jpeg
    IMG_1939.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 6

95-007

Reaction score
Wow! What a great price from a dealership! Obviously not in California where everything is inflated. They must have read that oil filter flash and took it to heart.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
When I was at the dealer service department getting my new trailer hitch installed, I checked the parts department for oil filters. PF64 was not in stock at the dealership but was at their warehouse. I asked about UPF64R and they had many in stock. Price? $4.46 each. I bought three.
That's a good price.

One thing to keep in mind is the UPF64R has a 35 PSI bypass and the PF64 is a 22 PSI bypass.

The manual calls for PF64. If you have an engine or oil related failure the dealer could very well deny coverage because your oil filter didn't allow enough oil through, especially if it's cold or clogged which is when the bypass kicks in. So just because a filter has the same threads and can size, doesn't mean it's equivalent to use. If you want to upgrade over the PF64 I would go with something like the Purolator Boss which has the better full synthetic mesh backed filter media but has a 25 PSI bypass. I believe the bypass ratings are +/- 3 PSI.

Referring to bulletin 17-NA-157 " Note: Any aftermarket filter must also have an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification, element integrity, filtration performance, media particle trap specification and burst strength that is equivalent to the ACDelco PF64/PF63 filters."

I know this very fact caused some confusion among the Corvette community due to the obvious nature of wanting the very best and to protect their vehicle. So I recommend not to overthink this. GM knows the UPF64R filter exist. They clearly list PF64 and state not to use filters that do not match the original specification which I've outlined and provided evidence. As to why GM has a UPF64R filter available, I can't say, but maybe it's listed as the recommended filter for some vehicles or a bulletin exist that list when that filter is an appropriate replacement, I'm not sure.

Attachments

• MC-10242844-0001.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Billh

Reaction score
That's a good price.

One thing to keep in mind is the UPF64R has a 35 PSI bypass and the PF64 is a 22 PSI bypass.

The manual calls for PF64. If you have an engine or oil related failure the dealer could very well deny coverage because your oil filter didn't allow enough oil through, especially if it's cold or clogged which is when the bypass kicks in. So just because a filter has the same threads and can size, doesn't mean it's equivalent to use. If you want to upgrade over the PF64 I would go with something like the Purolator Boss which has the better full synthetic mesh backed filter media but has a 25 PSI bypass. I believe the bypass ratings are +/- 3 PSI.

Referring to bulletin 17-NA-157 " Note: Any aftermarket filter must also have an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification, element integrity, filtration performance, media particle trap specification and burst strength that is equivalent to the ACDelco PF64/PF63 filters."

I know this very fact caused some confusion among the Corvette community due to the obvious nature of wanting the very best and to protect their vehicle. So I recommend not to overthink this. GM knows the UPF64R filter exist. They clearly list PF64 and state not to use filters that do not match the original specification which I've outlined and provided evidence. As to why GM has a UPF64R filter available, I can't say, but maybe it's listed as the recommended filter for some vehicles or a bulletin exist that list when that filter is an appropriate replacement, I'm not sure.
Thanks for the information. I did use the Purolator BOSS PBL11403 with my first oil change. I used the UPF64R on the second oil change. I will go back to the BOSS PBL11403 for my future oil changes.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I did use the Purolator BOSS PBL11403 with my first oil change. I used the UPF64R on the second oil change. I will go back to the BOSS PBL11403 for my future oil changes.
Even disregarding the bypass PSI, the BOSS is a better filter so it's a good way to go.

Members online

No members online now.