Engine problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabawalkie101

Reaction score
I have an 09 equinox sport 3.6. It’s has 160k miles. I have a vacuum leak I’m going to get done but it’s important to note it. I have replaced all camshaft sensors and I still have the error codes “p0017, p0008, p0016, p0018”
I am pretty certain I need to do the timing on the engine. I don’t hear any knocking whatsoever. I took it to a shop to be certain of it. And they told me the engine needed replacing. I can upload their report if necessary. Would these signs I’m having indicate timing? The engine is surging at idle only when it runs for a little. Thanks in advance.

cavell

Reaction score
How long have you owned it?
the 3.6 does have chain issues and most shops don’t like to deal with comebacks.

jabawalkie101

Reaction score
I purchased it 4 months ago. It sounds like it’s running fine and it feels fine when it runs.

cavell

Reaction score
a chain job is 1500-2000? A new motor is $5k.
I hear lots of stuff on how poor the 3.6 is.
it works now? Ok suv is worth more.
it has chain issues? It’s worth less
a rig with used ok motor is worth same as one with new motor.
I assume mechanic thru out repair costs?

Last edited:

SONNY88

Reaction score
I have an 09 equinox sport 3.6. It’s has 160k miles. I have a vacuum leak I’m going to get done but it’s important to note it. I have replaced all camshaft sensors and I still have the error codes “p0017, p0008, p0016, p0018”
I am pretty certain I need to do the timing on the engine. I don’t hear any knocking whatsoever. I took it to a shop to be certain of it. And they told me the engine needed replacing. I can upload their report if necessary. Would these signs I’m having indicate timing? The engine is surging at idle only when it runs for a little. Thanks in advance.
I had a similar problem, I think it was a camshaft sensor that went bad on mine. It would crank, go a few feet, then die.
I was right down the street from the dealership, and just made it there the last time.

Members online

No members online now.