2018 Diesel Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red70judge

Reaction score
Newbie to the forum. Just received word our new diesel is on a rail car and should be delivered to the dealership next week. Would like to get real world mileage input from owners for all to compare. Not only mileage but performance, handling, shifting, and owner comments in general.
Liked our 2016 2.4L gas but no power on hills or mountain driving. Thought we'd try the oil burner for a change. Thank you in advance for the feedback.

gpart

Reaction score
I'm quite interested in some real-life diesel mpg numbers, as well.

red70judge

Reaction score
Picked up our new diesel on 10-20-17. Like the torque and not the
constant down shifting of the old '16 with the 2.4L. Now on to real
world mpg numbers.

red70judge

Reaction score
Ok...took a 160 mile interstate round trip same day and weather conditions.
Cruise at 80mph going and 75mph on the return. Same good 3.5 mile up/down
a mesa involved, rest kinda rolling grades.
37.2 mpg going and 42.3 on return leg. Speed may have the difference in results.

Interested in more posts.

gpart

Reaction score
Ok...took a 160 mile interstate round trip same day and weather conditions.
Cruise at 80mph going and 75mph on the return. Same good 3.5 mile up/down
a mesa involved, rest kinda rolling grades.
37.2 mpg going and 42.3 on return leg. Speed may have the difference in results.

Interested in more posts.

That's pretty good!

Do you do any city driving where you're not exceeding 35-40 mph for any length of time, where you might have stop and go traffic or a lot of stop lights?

red70judge

Reaction score
Not much of city driving for us. My main reason for the diesel was
highway MPG at interstate speeds. Yesterday did the same 160 mile
round trip with 38.4 going and 41.4 mpg return. Again 80mph going
and 75mph return. Will reverse driving speeds next time for comparison.

MT Oil Burner

Reaction score
I got 33 mpg average on the first tank with about 20% city driving and a 12 mile commute at 75-80 mph on the interstate. All driving at altitude of 4-5000 ft in Western MT. The ECO screen is reporting a max of 37.5 mpg. Have been in AWD most of the time due to snow .

Does anyone know how often the particulate filter "regenerates" ?

BobGucciani

Reaction score
I just did a 3000 mile trip in mine. The first 600 miles were 55mph backroads with a few slower sections going through towns, lots of climbs and descents. The remaining 2400ish was almost all highway 80mph. The first section I got 43mpg, the rest of the trip averaged 38. Except for one 20 mile mountain pass I stayed in FWD the whole trip.

What I like: MPG, torque, rear seat legroom, climbs mountains with ease.

What I hate: Getting pulled over 3 times for (apparently nonadjustable) headlights being too bright....

red70judge

Reaction score
Too early to tell when the diesel particulate filter regenerates, guess time and miles will answer that. The owners manual describes the process well starting on page 222. States your driving patterns determine when the process occurs.
Sounds like the DEF tank holds 4.9 Gal. and should last for 1000's of miles.

Ours is the FWD model and so far running in the 38-42 mpg range with interstate driving. Interesting to get mileage input from states with all flat
driving like KS and TX. So far we are happy with the diesel. 1.6L = 97ci. WOW!

tmcahren

Reaction score
I was under the impression with a DEF tank there is no DPF filter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AKMTNMAN

Reaction score
Bought a 2018 Equinox TD, I live in Alaska. the max speed limit is 65 and only in selected areas. Otherwise it is 35 in the city and 55 on the highways. We now have 3000 miles on the NOX and we are getting 32.6 average that is driving 30 miles round trip to and from work 6 of which are going thru town. on our longer drives on the hwy we are getting 43 mpg @ 55-65 mph keep in mind that we live in Alaska and on this drivw we are driving the majority of the miles in the mountains. We go from 200' to 3500' back to sea level one way, Lots of curves and somewhat steep terrain. This is all in AWD (winter Driving). The frew time I have been able to switch to FWD I get 2-3 more MPG's.

c&wsinbad

Reaction score
AKMTNMAN, Sounds like the TD is pretty well suited to your driving conditions. Hope it continues to work well for you!:)

red70judge

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I guess these new diesels are a learning
curve for us all. At the 5000 mile mark the outcome has far exceeded my
expectations to this point. Just WOW! The little 1.6L. (97 c.i.) diesel will
keep up with the big dogs anywhere on the open road. Will try to attach
pix from the DIC readings for the 25-50-450 mpg readouts. The only one
that really matters is the 450 reading. It was taken on a 1000 mile round trip from NV to San Diego and return. Basically 95% was at 70-80mph.

Well that don't work...Tried to upload a 1.53Mb picture from the DIC and system states there is a 97.7Kb limit. Anyway the readout for the 450 mile
scale was 44.2 mpg at highway speeds and traffic. This was with 2 adults and baggage for a week.

red70judge

Reaction score
Update at 6800 miles...about the DEF usage. At 4000 miles the DIC reported 1000 miles left of DEF, so put in 2.5 gallons, now at 6800 miles it stated 1000
miles left again. Will put another 2.5 gallons in. Simple math makes the usage
about 1 gal. equals 1000 miles of driving. I can live with that.

Another note...This little diesel amazes me...runs and drives perfect and the 6-speed transmission is so smooth at any driving speed. I could sell this Equinox combination all day long for Chevy. OK, forgot, retired long ago.
Hope we get more new owners posting their experiences.

nsmilligan

Reaction score
Love my diesel, best mileage 47.7, 65 mph highway. Great torque, 4 adults uphill 65 mph 16-1700 RPM 6th gear no down shifts

Things I dislike: no DEF gauge, same as my 3500 Dmax, so I use my Ram 3500 for long trips, at least I know how much DEF is in the tank at the start, also for some strange reason GM deleted the fuel filter life screen on the upgraded DIC :pshyco:

Bill

Attachments

• ResizerImage768X432.jpg
    ResizerImage768X432.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 7

LH7TD

Reaction score
Have had our turbo diesel a little less than a month and has a little less than 500 miles, best non interstate mileage has been 39 MPG. Haven't had it on the interstate yet.

MapleBacon

Reaction score
I average about 27mpg in the city and well over 30 on the highway...but I have a heavy foot. I find this lil 1.6 to be quite a bit of fun. I never take it out of awd because it helps with the acceleration out of the corners. I have not had a more comfortable and capable suv.

red70judge

Reaction score
Still hard to believe how much torque from that little engine and the fun factor to drive it.
Have a little over 8k miles on it and will be taking a 3k trip soon.

Don't know why Chevy does not advertise or push this option more. Its a win-win deal!
Will be taking a hard look at the new diesel in the 2019 Silverado 1500 available soon.

Cliff

Reaction score
While diesel mpg numbers can feel real good, I tend to look more at cost per mile.

My 2017 Nox is flex fuel rated. On E85, been averaging around 21 mpg. We live rural so more two lane highway stuff than city. E85 is going for $1.72 in my area right now. At 21 mpg, that equates to roughly 8.2 cents a mile fuel cost.

Diesel in my area is going for around $3.03 right now. For a diesel Nox to get the same 8.2 cent a mile fuel cost, it would have to average about 37 mpg for all miles.... city and highway. I really don't seen that happening.

I go thru about 21,000 gallons of diesel a year for my commercial stuff, so I am not ragging on diesels. It just isn't cost effective for me to have diesel personal vehicles, especially since they piled on the emissions stuff on diesels. Even my 2015 Silverado 2500 is a gasser using E85.

For those that don't have the smorgasbord of fuel choices and prevailing prices that I enjoy in my area, diesel could be a viable option in a personal vehicle.

Members online