2018 Diesel Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliff

Reaction score
Indiana is pretty flat except the SW section. Not sure it is a good barometer of what one would expect from a diesel or any other vehicle. Best mpg is one thing, the average for the 5000 miles is another. That "best" could have been on a short trip with a pretty good tail wind.

And my average of 21 mpg using E85, still at $1.72, is for everything.... city, highway, rural, 2 miles of gravel road from my house to the nearest hard road, etc and all on rolling hills.... year round.

Diesel has jumped to $3.20 in my area. i really don't see getting 40 mpg average (the break even cost per mile with me using E85) in my area for all miles as a reality with a diesel year round.

Diesels in personal vehicles are fun. I had a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel and it was a real puller. Same motor as the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon pickups now. A VM 2.8 diesel that has been rebranded as the Duramax 2.8. GM had a 50% share in VM and brought the engineering team on the VM 2.8 over to their side to make the Duramax 2.8. But in my case, the VM did not have DPF or SCR / DEF stuff. Sold the Jeep to my son.

But with all that emissions junk on them now, just doesn't fascinate me to have a modern diesel. Not cost effective. Even my commercial trucks, I buy new trucks without a engine or transmission. I then purchase factory remanned pre-emission engines and remanned transmissions and throw in them. Avoids all the emissions junk and does so legally. God Bless America! When I can do that with pickup truck, SUV, or auto, then I will consider them.

LH7TD

Reaction score
Thanks for information. Like you, I have had quite a few diesels, and know what to expect out of them.
Compared to the Rockies, yeah, its flat. Not that I need to justify the mileage, but it was attained in a trip of over a 100 miles in different terrain. No tailwind. It is averaging right around 40 mpg at the moment.
Barometers read different in different locations. From my location. It reads just fine. Yours, maybe not so much.

red70judge

Reaction score
Hello all again, last reported in 9-3-2018. Still have the cajun red tint '18 1.6 TD with 40k+ miles.
Still runs like new. Best mileage a couple years back on a 4000+ round trip was 45.5 on the DIC's
450 mile readout. Only had 2 issues in the emissions area and the last time the dealer replaced everything.
Plan on keeping it until the 80k warranty is valid especially with the 5+ bucks diesel. Tires all have 7/32 inch
tread left. Don't know why Chevrolet dropped the option after the '19 model, now they are pushing the
Equinox EV????? Heard that 95% of EV cars are still on the road but 5% made it all the way home.

Currently also have a 2022 2.7L. Silverado Crew and a 2022 3.0L Duramax Silverado Crew. VERY, VERY impressed with both
of them. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Members online

No members online now.