Whining Noise starts around 20mph and gets louder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

refderek

Reaction score
2006 Equinox
71,000 miles
Non-AWD

A whining noise appears around 20 miles per hour and gets louder until about 50 mph and stays about the same there at higher speeds.

Had tires checks - all good.

Ran engine in PARK at 2,000; 3,000 and up until 4,000 RPMs with hood open, no apparent noise, so I wanting to rule out pulleys, belt, PS pump and alternator.

Any suggestions on what this may be? Thanks you. Derek

refderek

Reaction score
Got it solved - Hub Bearing Front Passenger Side; these are known to go out on the Equinox.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Glad they found the issue, its a shame it happened below 100k miles.
My first car a 95 Bonneville didn't need a new bearing hub until 200k miles and that was because the speed sensor was bad and built in.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I had to replace all of the hubs at 130k miles on our Saturn Vue before we sold it. I think they went bad because they hauled a trailer that was way too heavy. If I could guess accurately, 5000-6000lbs....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jne232

Reaction score
A wheel bearing/hub....

I've replaced one on almost every Chevy I've ever had. All below 100k. The older Blazer/Jimmy's...all the time. Lol!

Members online