2013 Equinox P0700 and P0601 Code Car failed on interstate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reba

Reaction score
I am the original owner of my 2013 Equinox (95,000 miles) I have never had nay issues until this past Sunday when I was traveling on cruise control at 75mph when suddenly my car jerked violently (almost like I had run over a large hole but I had not) cruise control stopped working, and it sort of appeared that the engine was revving up, check engine light came on. I pulled over immediately, I tried to back up a bit, but once again the car jerked so I stopped. Called HWY patrol as I was very nervous they arrived and called row truck ( I had to be towed over 70 miles back hone $350 ouch). Took it to a Firestone, only place open, they ran diagnostics which revealed 2 codes: P0700 and P0601. Said it was transmission. I picked up the car and drove it 1 mile to a very good transmission place (it was running normal over there as codes were cleared) Transmission could replicate the original problem due to codes being cleared but said it could possibly be the transmission but more likely an electrical issue related to the computer. They said might not be that but eventually it would happen again maybe soon maybe not for a long time, they said I should sell it! Yesterday I drove the car without issue about 25 miles on the Hwy no issues. Anyone else have a similar issue? I'm now very skiddish to go very far and totally bummed that my baby might be dying :-(

GirlDriver

Reaction score
Have you kept up with transmission fluid changes? While the old days they recommended every 60k miles, it's more like 40k now days.

Have you kept up with cleaning out your PCV orifice? That buggar can cause all kinds of hell. If you have a 10mm socket, I can tell you how to clean that baby out good and proper without all the hassles all the other folks have been doing on Youtube.

As far as your codes - so while the computer brains could be on the fritz, I'd first have the battery tested to make sure it's still up to snuff.

Then, I'd change out any relay's in the fuse box that might apply. It sits next to the computer module and the battery (both on different sides of the fuse box).

Also check all your fuses that deal with the transmission area of the car.

For the 2.4 Ecotec engine my experience is that sensors need replaced about your mileage. 100% a bad sensor could be your only problem. The same could be true for the V6, though I'm not experienced with the V6

You have a Transmission Speed Sensor in your vehicle and by all means change that puppy out. Sensors are a breeze to change out most of the time, but this one is a pain, so you may elect to have a shop do it for you. See video below. I've used Firestone for sensors, they have a credit card with 0% interest for the first 6 months, also all kinds of coupons.

Get the OEM sensor at Rock Auto or another parts supplier if you're going to do it yourself. Some GM dealerships sell parts at wholesale online, the downside is they charge too much shipping.

If you don't take it to the dealership for this service, make sure to find out what your bolts involved are to be torqued at and tell the mechanic or for your own info. That's the only time I've had issues not going to the dealership. The local shop mechanics don't bother to look up the torque requirements for anything and that can lead to real problems.

I think you'll be fine without a gob a trouble. Just check your battery, any and all wiring connections, get your PCV orifice cleaned out and replace that sensor regardless of what else you do.

If you haven't changed out the MAF or Coolant Temperature Sensor - do those yourself, super easy. Those 2 will be going out shortly. Not to mention the solenoids if you haven't yet.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.