NEW MEMBER AND A STORY / REVIEW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Well let me start by saying an Equinox was barely on my radar for anything. Our oldest daughter bought a 2012 used about 4 years ago and other than me putting a water pump on it, it had been pretty trouble free.
Fast forward to a 2021 spring afternoon and my work car was hit while sitting at an intersection and totaled. Now the main purpose of that car was me primarily driving it to work on days I didn't ride my Motorcycle because of snow / ice etc.. SO in replacing it I already knew I didn't want to spend a lot of money or have a huge payment for something that just occasionally takes me to the office 12 miles away. What was decided however was that we wanted a small SUV again. We have 6 children, 2 still live at home but are both 17 so they have their own jobs and cars so a small SUV would suit us fine. (we had an Excursion and Explorer in the past ).
Research led me to the MAzda CX 5, the Escape, and the Equinox. I couldnt find a Mazda near me with low miles or even Average miles.. I looked at a nice spec'd out Escape and really liked it. Drove it and liked it more.
Then we Drove an Equinox and i was, well unimpressed. However my wife loved it. Doing research I saw multiple fail points on the Escape and their engine choice regarding head gaskets etc. On the equinox I saw fail points also but not typically catostophic, so we decided on the equinox. We found a 2018 LT AWD with less than 50K mile son it and a fair price. Carfax looked good so we laid some money down and drove home with it. Since then we have put about 17K miles on it. I have to say it has become one of my favorite vehicles we have owned. We just completed a Graduation trip seeing point sof interest along the Great lakes that our Middle Daughter wanted to do for her graduation trip.. (whatever happened to wanting to go on a cruise? argh..) in 2 weeks we put 3,100 miles on it with 2,000 of that with 4 adults and luggage in it, and the last 1,100 with 5 adults and a luggage carrier in the hitch in back. (our oldest daughter is 27 but only 4'10 and under 100 pounds, I wouldn't try that with a 3rd full sized adult!) it was packed. never A hiccup, never an issue passing someone. never used a drop of oil on trip with sustained 75 + mph highway runs.
Very Happy.
My Complaints are limited.
I wish first gear was a little longer, so it didnt shift as fast and also had a higher gear ratio for 6th gear so it would reduce RPMS and fuel consumption slightly at highway speeds.. But I know with that lil engine options are limited.
The air vents, particularly the one to the right of the steering wheel annoyed the heck out of me. It seemed it was either pointed at my wife or directly at my arm while driving. Trying to get air tot he passengers in the back while driving was either me freezing my arm ice cold or nothing.
I tend to wait to write a review on something and get out of the honeymoon phase with it, I figure 17K miles I have enough experience with it to like it or hate it.. I like it!

Last edited:

SteveK

Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly you bought an equinox to take you 12 miles to work and back when not riding. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

ricklack

Reaction score
My 2022 RS has rear AC vents, may be time to upgrade? lol

ronheater70

Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly you bought an equinox to take you 12 miles to work and back when not riding. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Well More or less! My Wife has a Home Office in the medical field, so it sits a lot of the time other than to go get groceries occasionally and take me to the office when its poor weather!
We do occasionally go out in it though! However the trip my Daughter wanted to take, it served us much better than our Diesel truck would have!

ronheater70

Reaction score
I think ours does too, but they are placed low, so when the back seats full and there are snacks and everyhing else around people and stuff on the floor, it doesnt circulate well.

ricklack

Reaction score
I think ours does too, but they are placed low, so when the back seats full and there are snacks and everyhing else around people and stuff on the floor, it doesnt circulate well.
Mine are on the rear of the console so they do a nice job for the passengers back there. They are similar to front vents in that you can adjust the airflow direction

SteveK

Reaction score
Well More or less! My Wife has a Home Office in the medical field, so it sits a lot of the time other than to go get groceries occasionally and take me to the office when its poor weather!
We do occasionally go out in it though! However the trip my Daughter wanted to take, it served us much better than our Diesel truck would have!

Glad you are enjoying it and it is not just a commuter

Charvel1975

Reaction score
Mine are on the rear of the console so they do a nice job for the passengers back there. They are similar to front vents in that you can adjust the airflow direction
Yea I have a 2018 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD as well and it has vents on rear of center console that are adjustable.

95-007

Reaction score
We bought 2, 2005's. The first was totaled with almost no trouble other than an A/C compressor that missed PAG oil insertion at the factory, and the second which turned out to be the first Nox sold in the US, first year, # 7 off the assembly line.
With over 210k miles, Scarlet* (as the kids named her) is still running great!

Welcome!

*Full name given by my imaginitive daughter was, Scarlet the Sassy Salsa Red Equinox LT

tshiner

Reaction score
We bought 2, 2005's. The first was totaled with almost no trouble other than an A/C compressor that missed PAG oil insertion at the factory, and the second which turned out to be the first Nox sold in the US, first year, # 7 off the assembly line.
With over 210k miles, Scarlet* (as the kids named her) is still running great!

Welcome!

*Full name given by my imaginitive daughter was, Scarlet the Sassy Salsa Red Equinox LT
We have a 2014 LTZ. The problem with A/C vents is a poor design at best. Getting A/C to back seats also our problem. I have found the floor vents work when you change setting off Automatic to floor and top. This helps some, but you cannot place anything on floor in back to block airflow. This also lessens airflow out of dash vents. Front passengers get cold feet also.

Members online