Timing Chain Bolt - Oil Consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a used Equinox, probably 2011-2013 AWD is in around my budget. Doing some research and read something about increased oil consumption on the 4-cyl models being a potential issue? Not sure if anyone can tell me what that's about?

Other issue for the Equinox is the timing chain issues. I guess lots of issues on the 4-cyl, and some on the 6-cyl between 2010-2012.

If I get the 4-cyl, can I install the Dorman 917-954 timing chain bolt as a preventative measure? Video on the Dorman site is kinda, vague... says take the first bolts out, then use a magnetic tool to pull the broken bolt out. If the bolt isn't broken yet, can I still remove it from that port?

The other issue on the video is, it shows the airbox coming out, engine mount removed, then you have access to the bolt. However, when they're putting in the new bolt they say to make sure it lines up, and it shows the entire top of the engine removed (valve covers)... um... did we miss a few steps when making the video? biggrin.gif

Our family car died this year, grabbed a used Ford Flex that looked/ran great, for 2 months, head gasket blew. So, bit of a budget and would like to avoid issues if possible.
biggrin.gif

corvairbob

Reaction score
that will do no good to prevent any timing chain issues that is just a bolt to hold the top front chain guide for those bolts that got to worn to re use
if it is having timing chain issues that bolt is not going to fix those issues. if your handy and want to tackle changing out a timing chain and associated parts then get the car.

also the oil use is bad pistons not pvc valve and there is a video on how to make a old school pvc valve but that really doesn't work well been down that road and still have oil use. plus i rebuilt the engine and still have oil use, not as bad but it uses oil still.

if you want my opinion i would just keep looking, the parts to do this job yourself are going to be 500 to 1,000$ plus your time and the car laid up for a few weeks. and that is if your good at working on engines. you need a complete timing chain set including phasers solenoid valves and maybe cams unless you can fix the reluctors on them. plus it would be a good idea to redo the balancers chain set and do the water pump while you in there. good luck

THRobinson

Reaction score
that will do no good to prevent any timing chain issues that is just a bolt to hold the top front chain guide for those bolts that got to worn to re use
if it is having timing chain issues that bolt is not going to fix those issues. if your handy and want to tackle changing out a timing chain and associated parts then get the car.

also the oil use is bad pistons not pvc valve and there is a video on how to make a old school pvc valve but that really doesn't work well been down that road and still have oil use. plus i rebuilt the engine and still have oil use, not as bad but it uses oil still.

if you want my opinion i would just keep looking, the parts to do this job yourself are going to be 500 to 1,000$ plus your time and the car laid up for a few weeks. and that is if your good at working on engines. you need a complete timing chain set including phasers solenoid valves and maybe cams unless you can fix the reluctors on them. plus it would be a good idea to redo the balancers chain set and do the water pump while you in there. good luck
I thought for the 4cyl that the chain stretch issue was due to that one bolt becoming loose and eventually falling out, which throws the guide out of place which causes the stretch? That's how the vids show it....

Oil wise, for the 4cyl (not 6cyl) doesn't the PCV valve issue have something to do with the intake manifold having a tiny air hole that blocks, then the PCV valve gets full of sludge, blocks and then it blows out the main rear gasket and then looses oil?

Posted this over 2 weeks ago... been reading a lot since. :D

if you want my opinion i would just keep looking

So, by keep looking, you mean just don't get an Equinox/Terrain? I am realizing that here in Ontario, a 2010-213 Equinox with rocker panels is rare. Terrain seems better for that, maybe smaller plastic trim piece? Unfortunately, been doing so much research and seeing the potential issues that ALL cars have, I'm paranoid to buy anything. Old days were better... engine compartment wasn't jam packed, and the auto wreckers had cars for parts. Here at least, wreckers don't exist anymore, in that sense. They now get the car, recycle the car. Had a nice small wrecker here 15min away, then 3yrs ago it was bought by someone and now the back lot is just a field. They may still sell used tires, but that's all.

I'm a "basic" mechanic... brakes, spark plugs, fluids, minor stuff that's on YouTube. Watched vids on the chain issue and didn't look too bad to do, intake manifold looks like a pain to pull off though especially if needs cleaned every other year.

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok take a lok and seeif it is still in there. for the most part i have not heard of that bolt falling out, however i have heard of the chain guide wearing out enough to rub that bolt to the point it just bears thru and then if falls out.

the intake is not bad to get out.

all cars do have issues, but the 2.4 in the equnox was not built with the owners in mind. if you car for them they can serve you well.

also if it has 150k on it and never had the trans services then check the color of the fluid if it is clear your good if it is black then leave it lots of stories of guys changine out the balck fluid and then havign trans issues a bit later. but that is a normal issue on lots of cars. but bad on the nox.

if you do see that bolt missing and have a mirror look into that spot and see if you can see threads. my bei is the chain work the bolt thru and that is why it is gone. they just do not fall out unless someone did a timing chain job and forgot to torque it.

that oil buring can be that issue and some have done that pvc old school retro fit i did it also and that did not make the oil use much better. the issue is the oil rings get plugged up and stick the the pistons and then can't stop the oil use. i took my engine apart and rebuilt it and cleaned the oil ring grooves and drilled out the holes for better drain back and i still have oil use. so do some more YT on the 2.4 and the issues your asking about and see how they repair them if they did. read the comments as the YT guy may be blowing smoke up your you know what. the make $$ selling scams. but the comments have more real life results. if you get it and want to try the chain stop back and ask us for help. i have lots of info on how to do that on this site. good luck

THRobinson

Reaction score

Sadly, won't be able to check the bolt when looking at used cars. People get antsy if you start taking their car apart in their driveway. :D

corvairbob

Reaction score
i guess you can take a chance but those bolts do not just fall out they would hit the cover bolt this YT shows that the guide chain was still there but worn and that worn is due to the chain wear. again good luck. let us know if you get it how it goes.

also if that bolt was to fall out more than likely it has also jumped time as well.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Well that's the issue in the video... the bolts have a gap between them and the cover bolt so they shake loose and pop-out, maybe not 100% out but at an angle enough to mess up the guide.

I dunno, watched about 6 vids on the same thing so, must happen to someone.

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok good luck i have had them apart ad seen what goes on you may get lucky

THRobinson

Reaction score
Lucky?

Make it sound like all have the issue... starting to lean towards a Murano instead. :D

Well, again, not sure where you're from but here, you show up in suburbia with tools and start taking stuff apart, the seller tends to freak out. Even used car dealers now, and new car dealers with trade ins, won't let you take it to a mechanic first anymore. I use to test drive it to a garage, have a quick inspection done and take it back... now, nope... you wanna see a mechanic, you buy it first.

Used car buying now sucks.

Members online

No members online now.