Timing chain replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marquis

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here may be able to help. I have a 2017 2.4L and am attempting to replace the timing chain. But when I manually rotate the crankshaft the chain becomes slack and then around the top and bottom of the stroke there's a loud click and the chain becomes tense again. it appears that the intake camshaft stops rotating and then jumps when the click sound happens. The timing mark on the chain(which is only a single yellow/black/yellow mark changes it's location when a full cycle happens. I've linked a video to what it looks and sounds like. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Marc

https://clipchamp.com/watch/HEHXhK57knG

negron59

Reaction score
Hey Marquis, from the video I would find fault with the intake timing sprocket, if you look closely the sprocket is the go-between of the Cam and the chain and I see what you say about the click and then the intake cam moving. To me it is the intake timing Sprocket. the best thing would be a video of the sprockets as you turn the crank.

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
Negron has it right. The sprocket has failed. Did the engine jump timing and lock stop? If so it's really important to inspect the camshaft snout also. You need to make sure it didn't rotate the keyway. It's becoming more and more common on the Equinox and Terrains we rebuild here

mirageman

Reaction score
Your cam phaser, one or both, is unlocked. They're supposed to be locked when idling or off. There are a few threads here that go into this, look at them all for timing chain help. It is indeed failed cam phaser(s). You turn the crank and the chain turns, but not locked with the camshaft. You can see it happen if you look at the chain turning and camshaft, you'll see they're not locked. Then when the phaser spring tension and/or limit overcomes the valvespring tension, the cam spins over the valve and snaps at the chain slack. There are quite a few pics and lots of info on other threads here.

Marquis

Reaction score
Hello,

I had to step away from this problem for a bit to look after some other things but I was able to take a video from the chain and cam gear view and you can clearly see the intake not moving and then jumping and I kept the video running until the timing marks came back around and they are in a completely different spot. So I'm guessing what the 3 people who replied are correct and it's that intake cam phaser that's the problem. I will check out the other threads regarding this problem on here to see what steps others took and if anyone has anything to add that would be appreciated.

https://clipchamp.com/watch/NWqWw7eomiG

Marquis

Reaction score
Negron has it right. The sprocket has failed. Did the engine jump timing and lock stop? If so it's really important to inspect the camshaft snout also. You need to make sure it didn't rotate the keyway. It's becoming more and more common on the Equinox and Terrains we rebuild here
Thanks for your input. The engine would idle fine but as soon as you gave it a little gas it would cut out and was giving a P0011 code. I had it towed to a garage and the mechanic was able to drive it into the bay and only saw the code in the history. We drove the car home half an hour and it made it and it wasn't until the next day when I went to test drive it that it was sounding rough and I turned it off and pushed it into my garage and ordered a timing chain kit. So I'm going to check out some of the forums to try and wrap my head around how these vvts work.

Marquis

Reaction score
Your cam phaser, one or both, is unlocked. They're supposed to be locked when idling or off. There are a few threads here that go into this, look at them all for timing chain help. It is indeed failed cam phaser(s). You turn the crank and the chain turns, but not locked with the camshaft. You can see it happen if you look at the chain turning and camshaft, you'll see they're not locked. Then when the phaser spring tension and/or limit overcomes the valvespring tension, the cam spins over the valve and snaps at the chain slack. There are quite a few pics and lots of info on other threads here.
Thanks I'll check out the thread!

Marquis

Reaction score
Hey Marquis, from the video I would find fault with the intake timing sprocket, if you look closely the sprocket is the go-between of the Cam and the chain and I see what you say about the click and then the intake cam moving. To me it is the intake timing Sprocket. the best thing would be a video of the sprockets as you turn the crank.
Hey Negron, Thanks, I uploaded a new video with the view of the sprockets moving but I think between you and the others who answered it seems like that's the case.

mirageman

Reaction score
If you set the timing marks right with the crank and two cams and then turn over the engine, the marks will NOT line up again for like 40 revolutions. That's important to know. Older engines had marks on the engine BLOCK that you could line up your sprokets with every two revolutions, but this engine uses the marked CHAIN links with the sprokets. Once you initially set the timing on the chain with all the sprockets, consider it done. You COULD, if you wanted to.... make marks on your block right after you set the chain in time, and THEN you'd see that every two revolutions, your sprocket timing marks would line up with the marks YOU made on the block, but your marked links on the timing chain would NOT line up as stated for like 40 revolutions.

Flyer58

Reaction score
For what it's worth you might consider changing the water pump while you have easy access to the bolts. It's driven by the timing chain and difficult to get to.

Members online