2020 Equinox Auto-Stop Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ayukawa

Reaction score
The Auto-Stop in my Equinox doesn't work most of the time. It seems that if I go out and replace a couple of the fuses (A 10a labeled "flex fuel" and a 5a further back away from the main box that has its own little cover as per a youtube video I found) it will work for a couple of days, and then stop working again. The fuses don't seem to be bad or anything though. I've tinkered with all sorts of combinations with the climate control settings to see if I can get it to work, but nothing. I expect if I replace the fuses again it will work for a couple more days.

I know this is a fairly unpopular feature that virtually everyone I've spoken to about it has said "Good, leave it that way", and on it's own it isn't something I really care about having or not having. My concern is that there is something not working as it should, and I'm worried that it could lead to other issues down the road. The vehicle is still under its 60-day warranty from the dealer and I'm trying to determine if its something I should have them look at, or if I'm just overlooking something.

Any suggestions, or should I just take it in? Thanks!

bagbyjw

Reaction score
As you say it's under the 60 day warranty, take it back and have them fix it correctly

Moonwink

Reaction score
The auto stop/start feature in my 2015 Malibu (with two batteries) is very picky about the batteries being fully charged before it works. It also doesn't work if the heater/ac is working hard to achieve what it's set for - like just after I get in on a hot day or cold day. Everything has to be "just right" for it to work - it almost always works when I get off the highway and the heater isn't on full blast.

Ayukawa

Reaction score
The auto stop/start feature in my 2015 Malibu (with two batteries) is very picky about the batteries being fully charged before it works. It also doesn't work if the heater/ac is working hard to achieve what it's set for - like just after I get in on a hot day or cold day. Everything has to be "just right" for it to work - it almost always works when I get off the highway and the heater isn't on full blast.
I've tried turning the heat/ac completely off after getting off the highway, and no luck, unfortunately.

Ayukawa

Reaction score
Just a bit of an update.

I had the battery tested, and it passed, so I ended up taking it into the dealer on Friday. Half an hour later they were done, saying it was a software update they needed to do. So far so good! If it keeps going for a couple of weeks without issue I'm gonna say it's fixed, and then look into disabling the feature. :)

Thank you for all of your suggestions!

wootler

Reaction score
NOW that it is "fixed", you can order a $20-ish module from ScAmazon to disable the auto stop! (Just kidding - just kidding!!!) But, for the record, I too love my disabled auto stop!

terryg

Reaction score
Ayukawa: Please note that the battery is always monitored for it's current status. So, if you basically drive short miles; your auto-stop is not going to not going to function. For example, I have a 2019 GM vehicle with the 3.6L engine and haven't had the auto-stop work at all. But last week I got on the highway, got up to 5 over the speed limit and drove it this way for less than 10 minutes; and did my short shopping trip. On the way home, I took the back roads and auto-stop worked once. And actually, if you drive short miles; it's a good idea to try to make a 'highway trip and go out of town' once a month.

Moonwink

Reaction score
I know my liking auto stop/start is unpopular with many on these forums but it's a sign "all is well". If my auto stop/start isn't working, I know something is lacking and may need to be looked at. I'll never disable this feature.

ricklack

Reaction score
I know my liking auto stop/start is unpopular with many on these forums but it's a sign "all is well". If my auto stop/start isn't working, I know something is lacking and may need to be looked at. I'll never disable this feature.
Same. I turn mine off when in my small town where the traffic lights change quickly but leave it on when I am in larger towns, or where I know there are traffic lights with longer delays. The other week I noticed the auto stop didn't kick in and it made me watch things closer. Turned out to be a false alarm, but I get you with it being a health indicator.

Vondoman

Reaction score
The only way I’ve found to disable the Auto Start/Stop is to take it out of Drive & put it in L… then hit the ‘+’ on the shifter until you get to L9 and leave it there. But you have to go through that procedure everytime you start the car up. I wished it simply had an On/Off button in the dash!!

Members online

No members online now.