2014 Replacing Timing Chain Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GLM2919

Reaction score
I was told by a mechanic that because he thought the timing chain had broke the engine would have been damaged and not worth repairing. I brought it home and since I had nothing to loose I took it apart and the chain was intact but I believe the tensioner was faulty. I am trying to replace the chain as I will not truly know if the engine was damaged until I can get it repaired. I have followed the steps from several different sources but it does not seem to be going as planned. I can get all the marks lined up on the intake/exhaust sides but then cannot get the chain on the drive shaft gear (too tight). I have also tried putting the intake on first then the crank but then cannot get the exhaust cam on (again to tight), The instructions I have read (youtube) show that the chain should have enough slack and just slide on the gear, I have tried puuting a wrench on the cam as suggested and move slightlt to get the exhaust chain lined up and this works but then I cannot get it on the crank.

Any help would be appreciated and be gentle as I am by no means a mechanic...just cheap....

Thanks in advance....

corvairbob

Reaction score
well by any chance are you sure you got the correct timing set? did you put them together to see if the new one was close to the same length. for the most part you put the crank on first then the cams i do the exhaust first and then the intake. also they ahve 2 types of setups the lea engine takes the same phasers for the exhaust. if you got your parts from ebay or amazon the try cloyes input the vin and they will set up the correct parts. you get the complete chain kit and i would get the phasers as if you were to take yours apart you will find they are busted up on the inside. i can send photos of how they look but they are on this site now so with a search you should find that thread that i posted showing all the setup and links to how to install them. good luck

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
Make sure the tensioner has been removed from the cylinder head.

Remove the chain guidez

Make sure the crankshaft keyway is NOT at top dead center (12 o'clock). Best to have it counterclockwise about 45°. This is so you can safely turn camshafts to correct positions without risk of valves colliding with pistons when turning.

Rotate both intake and exhaust camshaft into position. Intake arrow should point between 1 and 2 o'clock. Exhaust should be near 11 o'clock.

Remove the sprockets off of the intake and exhaust camshafts.

Install timing chain onto intake sprocket on mark. Set chain and sprocket into head. Carefully maneuver chain down through block and over crankshaft gear.

Rotate crankshaft so that chain slack between it and intake sprocket is minimal.

Install the left (tensioner) guide. Make sure chain is snug on crankshaft gear as you tighten bolt for guide.

Install exhaust sprocket onto chain then set on camshaft.

You will then need to rotate the camshaft with a wrench as you apply pressure to sprocket until it finds its way over the keyway and into position.

Then tighten both camshaft bolts.

Install new tensioner. Make sure chain is properly seated on the guide and not riding over the edge. Long screw driver will easily correct if needed.

Install right side guide

Install top guide

Jbeard8925

Reaction score
Hello all, new guy here, i usually search on these things, but my first time posting on one.

My wife has a 2015 Chevy equinox 2.4L. It had the engine reduce power message come across the dash so I hooked it up it gave me 2 codes for the high pressure fuel pump and 2 code for the crank case.

I changed the timing chain, guide, tensioner all that, started it up drove it, worked great, we’re are talking at least 45 minutes of run time. Next day my wife goes to jump in here vehicle, 20 seconds after it starts up, it throws the codes again.

I tear it down and do it again, same thing, 1st start after the timing chain has been redone, ram great, turned it off, and engine reduced power, although this time, it actually sounded like it jumped time.

So, I tear it down, I re do the chain again, the 3rd time, I check it all, over and over, put it all back together…. Once again, same issue, codes are showing crankcase and fuel pressure pump once again.

I can not for the life of me figure out what I’m doing wrong, I even poured some oil into the timing chain housing to “prime” it before putting it back together, it’s a long shot, but I have seen people on here having luck, I’m just hoping someone has had the same issue as I and can point me in the right direction, I’ve almost got this down to a science tearing it down and putting it back together, I’m looking for advice to get it right this time.

I should also note, the 1st two times I re did the timing chain, I don’t believe the tensioner was placing enough tension on the timing chain tensioner guide, so I reset the original and threw the new one to the side…..

HELP!!!!!!!

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
I wonder if you have a "spun" snout on the camshaft. The keyway end piece is pressed on to shaft rather than being a single unit. It is common for an abrubt timing stoppage to cause the end to spin enough degrees to cause endless frustrating hours of on off reset try try again with same result.

The ECM can run the engine for a stime, but eventually determines the variance is too much and reduces power and sermts lights.

Or also could be a camshaft from 2010, one off from the 2010-2017 models. Uses different camshaft keyway position and sprocket.. If have open again, send Pic of the end of intake and exhaust cams. I too can send photos on known good units.

Jbeard8925

Reaction score
Absolutely!!! Thank you for the quick response, I’ll make sure to send photos tomorrow after it has been tore down, 4th time is a charm

Members online

No members online now.