Timing Chain - Upper Guide Bolt (4cyl)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Buying either the Equinox or Terrain with the 4cyl engine, and wondered about the upper guide bolt issues.

I see places like Dorman make an "upgrade" bolt, but all the sites that do an have videos, don't respond to questions and instructions miss a few steps. Everything seems fine for removal of the cap and the bolt itself, then outta nowhere the valve cover is off so you can see where the bolt is inside.

My question is, for anyone who has done it, can I take out the original cap/guide bolts and replace with the new bolt without removing the valve cover? or do I need to see where it's going to make sure properly in place?

Alternatively... if leaving the original bolts as-is... is it relatively easy to just stick a socket wrench in the hole and tighten the guide bolt every year or so?

Dragonary

Reaction score
I did. Has worked great. Driven 40k+ miles. My original upper bolt snapped off so this definitely seemed like an improvement as has been. No, you need to pull the cover to swap the bolt out because there is tension on the chains and guide. Probably be a good idea to just replace the guides, chains, and tensioners while you are in there (I didn't mess with the water pump stuff because it didn't seem to need it and I haven't had any issues with it). It's actually pretty easy to work on and has a preformed gasket on the front cover (6 cylinder doesn't so you make one with RTV. Annoying to say the least...).

THRobinson

Reaction score
Actually looking tomorrow at a V6 Terrain... on here and the Terrain site, had so many people warn me against the 4cyl, and seen so many videos about the chain and pcv issues, and so many used cars as-is with those issues, I figured it's not worth the MPG difference, get the V6. :D

Fingers crossed though, looks like a good deal for tomorrows car but, like all cars, good or bad reputation, you either get a good one or a lemon.

Dragonary

Reaction score
6 cylinders are harder to work on in my experience. I have 2 equinoxs. 1 has the 4 cyl, 1 has the 6 cyl. The 6 is harder to work on, but doesn't have the same issues. My 6 cylinder ended up having an oil pressure issue as well as a timing chain code. You could tell it was neglected though (sludge from lack of maintenance it seemed). Found that the oil pickup tube seal is a bad design and it's tough to replace. 4 cylinder doesn't have this issue. My 4 cylinder is at 240k miles now and still drives nice. It does use about a quart of oil or more every 1k miles which is annoying.

Moreover than whether you get a lemon or not is can you fix it if needed? I like these cars and they aren't too bad working on them. Chevy is definitely more maintainer friendly in general.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Well... I'm no mechanic. I try to do as much as I can myself... brakes (pads/rotors/calipers) are easy, replaced a few starters, fluid flushes and changes, throttle body... easy on/off parts.

Engine... never worked on before. Not even the plugs. RAM right now (I have a 2003 Ram) is one thin after another, and despite lots of space under the hood, some stuff was just done stupidly. Debating to keep or sell off the truck. If I keep, plugs need done, and the rear ones are hard to get at. Oil pan is an issue, need to lift the engine 2" to remove the pan.

When comes to the engine, it's more an issue of how much $ will it cost for a mechanic to fix, not me.

Sadly, it's hard to know if maintained. Could tell the truth could be lying when they say it's been looked after. Mileage is decent, 2010 with 186,000km. Average is usually 15,000/yr so, 9,000km under. New rockers welded in as well. Fully loaded and even the colour I wanted... can't recall last time I got a car with all the features and colour I wanted... just, never happens. Usually run outta time with winter coming and just grab whatever.

Dragonary

Reaction score
There's enough information out there you could do some of the repairs yourself. Unless you didn't have a place to do repairs, were physically unable to, or had enough money that it wasn't a concern, I would suggest learning how to do your own repairs. Find videos on youtube and take pictures if you need to. Torque bolts to spec, especially ones that are hard to get to. Personally, I have more than 1 car (could even have 3 or 4) so I don't have to worry if one goes down. All depends on your situation and what you are willing to do.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Well, I went back to College full-time when I was 30, and for the past 18yrs have done all my own work, minus tires, alignment, and once a wheel bearing because there was 12" snow out and the 4x4 looked harder to do than it was on my '02 Impala or '97 Lumina was.

That Lumina was a TANK! Paid $700 as-is off a car lot, was a trade in at a Hyundai dealer... I had it 7yrs, added up all the bills and was about $200/yr, and all tires, brakes and a starter. If the salt here didn't turn the body to rust, I'd still have it.

But ya, most stuff if a video, I'll attempt. Main 2 issues I have is that it's outside in a dirt driveway, and we get an average of 1-2 feet snow in winter here. So, been lucky so far for winter issues, but if it does break down in the snow, it's going to a garage. :D

Dragonary

Reaction score
Yeah it's rough doing it outside. I had to change the rearend of my Camaro back in the day outside and that was not fun. I've been fortunate to have a garage over the years to work on my vehicles in. I've had many cars over the years, all domestics, that drove pretty well for me without many issues. Some I buy with problems because I save $$$ then fix them and keep them for daily drivers.

I don't want to live anywhere that salts the roads, lol. Bought an 01 Grand Cherokee that was previously from New York and it had a lot of rust damage.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Well, bought the Terrain... New rockers, chain done 6 months ago, new transfer case, new battery, and can't recall the other, suspension part. Very little rust, interior mint, fully loaded with all features and leather. Only problem was the tire pressure sensor needed done, two rear tires, both safety issues in Ontario. Also, rear view camera doesn't turn on... Not sure the issue, not sure I care, driven without one for 30yrs. :)

Pickup on Thursday, then I do what I always do... Flush everything I can and replace all fluids and filters., and quickly before October weather hits and its a cold rainy mess.

Dragonary

Reaction score
Well good luck with it! When it's working right (most of the time), I really like my equinox. I hope you enjoy yours as well.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Thanks,.... fingers crossed. After having that Ford Flex for 2 months before the engine went, well, kinda hoping this is a bit more dependable. :D

Members online