2015 2.4L oil consumption.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lloydrwood

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here. We've had a 15 2.4 for quite some time now, and have had the dreaded oil burn issue most of that time. I've put the vented cap on, but that hasn't seemed to help, I'm getting the milk in the fresh air line still. I know they have the pcv issue that can cause the oil burn, along with the stuck rings. My question is, does the pcv system in this work like the 1.4/1.8 in the Cruze and such, with the check ball that likes to disappear? Then you replace the intake and valve cover?

SONNY88

Reaction score
Valvoline has a new oil called Restore and Protect, it is supposed to help clean pistons, etc.
Redeline S-1 fuel system cleaner will help some cleanup also.
How many miles do you have on yours?

Not sure about the other ecotechs...

2012Equinox2.4Turbo

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here. We've had a 15 2.4 for quite some time now, and have had the dreaded oil burn issue most of that time. I've put the vented cap on, but that hasn't seemed to help, I'm getting the milk in the fresh air line still. I know they have the pcv issue that can cause the oil burn, along with the stuck rings. My question is, does the pcv system in this work like the 1.4/1.8 in the Cruze and such, with the check ball that likes to disappear? Then you replace the intake and valve cover?
There are some Youtube videos claiming the orifice on the intake manifold is the problem. It's not. Ultimately, GM pushed the compression higher on the LAF and LEA Ecotec than any previous NA version of this engine. The oil ring failure typically causes oil evaporation instead of burning. My 2.4 always ran great and never smoked, even though it used a lot of oil. You can try 20/50 syntheic oil and see how it goes (thicker oil). That slowed things down for me. Another thing to try I posted here.

https://www.chevyequinoxforum.com/t...e-of-oil-every-week-what’s-the-solution.4476/

There is a filter or screen inside the valve cover that gets plugged up where the crankcase ventilation loops to the intake. Some people remove that nonsense and put a catch can there. You can do that or keep it all clean and still have excessive oil consumption. I ran my 2012 Equinox to 225k miles before I got tired of that LEA 2.4 and replaced the engine with something better.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
I developed this modification that reduced crankcase pressure and eliminated oil usage.

Tico007

Reaction score
If your PCV or is clogged, there is so much pressure that the rings won’t seat correctly. And you’re going to consume a lot of oil. There are many ways to fix this.

Members online

No members online now.