2017 Equinox- Excess oil consumption.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.oconnor1982

Reaction score
I just had an oil change and I have already lost 1 quart of oil with no signs as to where it has gone. Everything I have read about this issue and I don't see a permanent fix for it.

Any ideas as to what the permanent fix is for the excessive oil consumption?

Need to add that I have only put 450 miles (roughly) on the car since the oil change

card66

Reaction score
I have a 2017 that burns oil at a crazy rate. I easily go through a quart per week. There's lots of youtube videos that will tell you how to fix it. I've tried most of them and nothing has worked.

Billh

Reaction score
I had a 2016 LS AWD 2.4 that I bought new, and I never had to add oil between oil changes. Car had 67k miles when I traded it in on a new 2024 last November. I did all but 3 oil changes myself, usually around 40-50% oil life. I did the first oil change within 1k miles.

2012Equinox2.4Turbo

Reaction score
I fought excessive oil consumption between about 85k mi and 225k mi before I decided to put in new pistons. I used Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil. Prior to an oil change, and when the engine was about a quart low, I'd top it off with Marvel Mystery oil and drive for a week. Before I changed my oil, I'd pull the spark plugs and dump Seafoam down each cylinder and let it soak overnight. The next day, I put the plugs back in, started it up, and let it run for a few minutes before performing the oil change. I did this every 30k miles or so. My 2.4 would always use about a quart between oil changes, so when it was down over a quart at 50% oil-life remaining, I knew come the next oil change it was time to do it again. You wouldn't believe how dirty the oil filter can get after this procedure.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
I just had an oil change and I have already lost 1 quart of oil with no signs as to where it has gone. Everything I have read about this issue and I don't see a permanent fix for it.

Any ideas as to what the permanent fix is for the excessive oil consumption?

Need to add that I have only put 450 miles (roughly) on the car since the oil change
I developed this modification that reduced crankcase pressure and eliminated oil usage.

Members online