Strange dip stick readings 2.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Have been checking oil level twice a week for a year. Sometimes there is no reading after having three or the four segment lines covered. Then after driving 200 mile highway drive 70-75 mph checked oil after car sat for 20 minutes stick was dry. Waited 1 hour rechecked it one line up, two hours 2 line up overnight morning three lines up where it was before the drive.
120k oil changes with Mobil one ever 5 k. Any ideas?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
It sounds like the oil return ports from the top of the head to the crank case are clogged. Maybe try some engine flush.
Are the filters on top of the engine on the 2.4l? The filter could hold oil and let it return to the oil pan as it sits.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
Have been checking oil level twice a week for a year. Sometimes there is no reading after having three or the four segment lines covered. Then after driving 200 mile highway drive 70-75 mph checked oil after car sat for 20 minutes stick was dry. Waited 1 hour rechecked it one line up, two hours 2 line up overnight morning three lines up where it was before the drive.
Oil drains slowly probably from sludge build up. I would suggest that you change the oil and filter then refill using 4 qts of 5W-30 and one qt of Dexron 2 transmission fluid. Run it for about 1000 miles then do a normal oil change. Monitor the dipstick and see if your result s change. Also, check it cold before the first startup on the day for best results.

mirageman

Reaction score
I also have a very similar situation. It's pointless to check my oil at a gas station fill-up because it will read way low. Sometimes it seems to take minutes, sometimes it takes hours to get the right reading. I don't get it. I would see a dry dipstick, and hours later it would be 3/4 to the full mark. I haven't timed it, though. It's not clogged return lines, I've added oil and it would immediately show. It must be pooling and draining back slowly from somewhere it shouldn't, perhaps getting stuck after the oil filter and draining back slowly. I'll be due for an oil change soon, maybe I'll see if it takes less time to reach maximum level with new oil and filter.

spaycace

Reaction score
Also need to make sure you’re on a level surface when checking it. I’ve noticed that mine is up to 2 lines different depending upon how I park in the driveway

NOX4ME

Reaction score
Oil returns are small and get clogged. I did this on my 2013 Equinox. Change the oil and filter, only substitute 1 qt of oil for transmission fluid (Note: Transmission fluid is just a lighter viscosity oil with high detergent properties) run it for about 1000 miles then change the oil and filter. You should see a marked improvement. And be sure to use a good engine oil. I've never had anything good to say about Mobil 1. I only use Kendall GT1 Full Synthetic DEXOS; 5W-30). And I only use K&N Oil Filters.

Smokin Equinox

Reaction score
It sounds like the oil return ports from the top of the head to the crank case are clogged. Maybe try some engine flush.
Are the filters on top of the engine on the 2.4l? The filter could hold oil and let it return to the oil pan as it sits.
This engine is Known for sludge accumulation!. Try a cleaner as said above...very soon! My friend blew his engine at 84K ....from SLUDGE. "CAR SHIELD" told him to
" pound salt". He had all Oil receipts from Dealer! (Per owners manual...)

Beware!!
( per ownersmanual...

mirageman

Reaction score
Perhaps a valve cover removal is in order to verify the sludge hypothesis. I recently did a timing chain on my 2012 and saw a dirty, varnished engine, carbon on sides of oil pump, on the valve cover, on the reluctors of the cams, but no sludge anywhere where it pools though. This was a verified, regularly changed oil every 5k miles or so vehicle. I did not look for return holes. I will have to do this soon before it gets too cold. Yesterday I checked the oil after it was very cool, sitting for hours after shutdown. It was 3/4 full on the first pull of the dipstick. On every other car I have, I don't wipe it if it was sitting for hours. I wiped it on this thing and on the second pull it was just touching the end. I let it sit overnight, and this morning it read 1/4. Something else is happening, I bet it has to do with the filter. I remember the filter not satisfyingly snapping in place on the cap when it was changed a couple of months ago. I don't know, but I will be on this soon as "it is time for a change". (Bill Clinton's line when he was running.)

Members online