2011 2.4 water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Necrophagist

Reaction score
What’s going on everyone. I hope everyone’s holidays are swell. I wish I could say the same.

Our equinox at 75 on the highway out of no where made a weird vibration and sound. Not one that would be very obvious unless you drive it daily type deals. Anyway. Immediately after that we lost heat and began to over heat. We were in the middle of no where (with a tow many hours out) and had to limp it home when it cooled down enough to move.

The top rad hose was hot and rock hard while the lower was cool and empty. Oil was clean and fine. Antifreeze was pretty clean as well.

I did the usual. Cap-thermostat-coolant temp sensor. Nothing changed. Everywhere I’ve looked has lead me to believe the water pump chain failed.

I am in need of a diagram of the water pump on a 2011. I do know there is a tool to hold the timing chain in place while you replace it. Beyond that it will be my first time.

I’ve never dealt with a chain driven water pump and I hope this is the last. Any advice or tips would be great as I can’t find much solid advice on this anywhere else. I’d rather talk to people who have actually done it.

Canalman

Reaction score
Hi I just replaced my water pump on my 2011 equinox v6 model. My wife started over heating and when she got home had fluid on the ground,the weird thing is it will only leak shortly after you have stopped driving. On this vehical it is easy to get to but expect to pay $500 /700 with parts and fluid included.I payed $500 from a great mechanic thats a friend...but this is a great vehical just have to maintain

Members online