Squeaking when put into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dadof5girls

Reaction score
I just recently acquired a 2013 Equinox with a 2.4 and 81000 miles. Car starts and idles fine, but when I put it into reverse, I get what sounds like a squeaking belt. If put back into park, the squeak goes away. Any thoughts from the experts in the group? This is my first experience with this engine so trying to figure out if it’s something common or something that’s going to be a bigger issue. Thanks

reeeng

Reaction score
I have a 2015 equinox with 115k miles, the 2.4l and it does something similar when cold started and put into reverse, it's kind of like a chattering squeaky type noise. I'm thinking it has to do with the transmission possibly but I don't know, I always tell them (whoevers driving it) they "made it angry" as it seems to only happen on our particular equinox when put into reverse immediately after starting it. If we let it run for a few minutes before putting it into reverse it doesn't seem to do it as much if at all, not sure what's going it with that but it seems okay, we try to avoid ours doing that cause we arent sure whats making the noise. I don't think it's serious cause we've had ours for like 4 years now, got it used with like 55k miles and it's sort of always done that. It also drives nicely too so I digress. Hope this helps.

Members online