Programming new Key FOBs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinHB

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Equinox 2.0 Premier and I have a question for the group:
The battery died in my FOB last week. Since I subscribe to "My Chevy" and OnStar, I figured, no problem. I'll just use my app to unlock the doors and start the car. No deal. I pushed the button to unlock, it sent the signal and responded that I will be notified when the car was unlocked. I got the message, but nothing. No power to the car at all. I contacted Roadside Assistance, but they couldn't send anyone for over an hour. I ended up using AAA.
My question is sort of unrelated...
I purchased a couple of OEM key FOBs from eBay. OEM Unlocked Chevy Equinox 2018-2020 Remote Smart Key Fob HYQ4AA 13584498
Has anyone on here had a GM/Chevy dealer successfully cut a key and program these FOBs? There is a disclaimer on the sellers ad stating:
IMPORTANT NOTE!!
This item is unlocked and ready to program. Most dealers will not be able to program these and you are recommended to use an AUTOMOTIVE LOCKSMITH. Returns are free. However; if this item is returned in a locked state there will be a $20 restock fee. Save yourself time and money and get a locksmith set up and make sure they can program this before you purchase.
I have an appointment to have the local dealer cut the keys and program the FOBs, but they said that if it doesn't work I have to pay for the service anyway.
Anyone have experience with this?
I just scheduled an automotive locksmith to come to my house, cut new keys, and program the FOBs. They are charging much less and guarantee they will work if they are unlocked. If not I don't pay, so that's good.

Last edited:

Members online