Key replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert E.

Reaction score
Hello all, my son broke the flip key blade off (lost) the key fob on his 2016 Equinox. I managed to get a new fob and transfer the inner parts to the new assembly. The blade was a generic Amazon replacement so now the fob will auto start, lock,unlock etc but the key will not start the car. I’m pretty sure that issue is with the programming or the blade is not compatible. My question is this, can I have a locksmith cut a new blade using his original and attach it to the fob that has his OEM internals without having to have any programming? I searched and could not find any threads on this so I apologize if this has been covered, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Robert

bagbyjw

Reaction score
I purchased a used 2022 Equinox LS and went to a locksmith (WAY cheaper than going to a dealer), they cut a new key, the one inside the fob and programmed the fob. I would suspect they could cut a new blade. Just call a locksmith and ask.

Severum17

Reaction score
Former GM part guy here. Sorry but the best replacement is GM. Thats it.

Members online

No members online now.