2013 LT Unable to remove key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicubs11

Reaction score
In my 2013 Equinox, I am not able to remove the key from the ignition. The car starts and I can turn it off but when I try to remove the key it won't come out. It starts to come out but then stops. I've found multiple youtube videos. some mention a button under the steering column but don't see that on this car. I have tried moving the wheel to the left and right but that didn't work. I tried to press in the key cylinder and jiggle the key but it won't come out. I have tried moving the shifter to different gears and back to park and nothing. On the dash it shows that it's in park. I don't know what else to try.

lyoung4379

Reaction score
I had this issue on my '06 Nox. Fortunately it was at home when it happened. Like you, I tried everything I could think of, to no avail. A phone call to dealership service manager, who said the only time he'd seen any issue like this was with weak battery. I replaced battery with new, but no help. Finally made appointment to have it towed into dealer to look at it. When Young tow truck driver arrived, he asked what problem was, and I showed him. He asked if he could try it, I said sure. He climbed in, moved it a bit, then yanked really hard, and pulled it out. He was stronger than me and meant business. We inserted key again, started, shutdown, pulled key out, issue didn't recur. Since then we never shut engine off while in Neutral, since that's how the issue occurred, and always pull key out immediately after shutdown from PARK. Hope this helps.

Members online