2012 equinox cranking itself up randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luke

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a 12 Equinox with the 4 cylinder engine. While it is parked it sometimes tries to start. It will crank and sometimes actually fire up for a second and quit. I had been leaving the key in the ignition while parked. When the key isn't in it it doesn't do it. It has the remote start which works fine. It has me baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SteveK

Reaction score
First thought is to call GhostBusters.

I suspect you have a worn ignition. Leaving the key in ignition puts the chip in proximity for start. But normally you have to turn the key to complete the task, which is to say contacts close. Those contacts may be affected by vibrations and close briefly.
You removing the key removes the chip in it from close proximity and thus the closed contacts cannot work. Leave alone or change ignition?

luke

Reaction score
Thank you.
That makes sense. As long as it still works I'll probably just leave it be. I just need to remember to take my key in with me at night.
Thanks again.

Members online