No crank after engine rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meehow22

Reaction score
2012 Chevrolet Equinox 2.4L, 152,000kms

Just did an engine rebuild, new pistons, rings, etc.. put everything back together and now the engine will not turn over. With the key in when you turn to start nothing happens expect all the lights on dash and a stabilitrak pops up on the center screen. No noise from the starter but I did remove and test, works good. I found a video on how to bypass the key/ignition by pulling a relay in the fusebox under the hood and cross jumping 2 pins with a wire. Doing that turned the engine over to check compression in each cylinder with the plugs removed and each good around 240psi. I have went over every fuse 3 times all are good. I have also checked every connection and also each ground wire connection (one on back of upper cylinder head, one behind the alternator, one on the trans and passenger side to the power steering) All are connected and good. I did have a friend come with his computer to scan and we are getting a "No communication with ECM", I have a spare working ECM, swapped and still showed same code. The car cranked over fine using key before engine teardown.

I don't know what else to check for, I've spend countless hours standing infront of the engine, looking and thinking, any help, advice, would be very appreciated!!! Thanks!

Clark111t

Reaction score
My daughter's did the same thing after her rebuild. It turned out to be a broken wire by the AC compressor.

Dragonary

Reaction score
Either broken wire, missed a connector, or messed up a pin on a connector.

Members online