Oil leaking from hole below oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jenniferm97

Reaction score
Hi - 2016 2.4L Equinox started leaking oil on the way home from work - noticed a line of dripping oil up the driveway. Seems to have stopped now that it's not running. Photo attached shows location that seems to be the culprit... for reference, photo was taken by me shoving my hand down the front of the car and pointing the phone toward the front drivers side of engine. Looking at the engine, this is below and to the right (drivers side) and a little behind the oil filter. I give the vehicle regular oil changes and it only has 61,000-ish miles on it. Looking at the photo enlarged on my computer monitor it seems that this hole is threaded but I don't know why or what it connects to. Any insight would be very greatly appreciated!!IMG_0978.JPG

PaulD

Reaction score
Sorry friend, I can't tell what we're looking at. I've looked at my 2.4 but can't recognize anything in the photo. From your description of where you took the photo, is this the underside of the engine? Where exactly would the oil filter be relative to the photo?

TopHat

Reaction score
Maybe it is the place where you relieve pressure when changing transmission fluid. If it is, should have plug in there. Maybe this will indicate where or not this is a correct assessment. My best guess is that your oil filter not tight and leaking down or a plug not tight. It's probably leaking into that hole and elsewhere.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts