2015 equinox oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tricci1009

Reaction score
I bought a 2015 equinox in October and immediately noticed significant oil loss. I thought it was consumption so took it apart cleaned the throttle body and intake as well as added an oil catch can and a vented oil cap. To my surprise the oil catch can has stayed completely clean. Then I noticed oil all over the belt and Altenator so I figured the crank seal and or timing cover so I replaced both of those gaskets. I’m still losing oil. Not as much but still significant. Half a quart at 500 miles. There’s oil all over the belt Altenator and the engine mount. I thought for sure it would be the timing cover and crank seal but when j changed them they didn’t look bad and there was no build up anywhere around the actual gaskets. Any ideas where the oil could be coming from. It doesn’t drip on the driveway it all stays on the side of the engine. I think it only leaks on long rides

corvairbob

Reaction score
check the oil dipstick. they do rust and they do leak. i had to not only add a new o-ring but also jb weld the dipstick tube into the oil pan mine did leave lots of oil on that side of the engine

corvairbob

Reaction score
also if you take the oil pan off do not use rtv you need to get some motorcycle case sealer. yamabond is what i used and that works good and is what most recommend for putting the aluminum cases back together. and watch for oil leaks at the flywheel area. i had a time sealing that area back i thought it was the new rear main seal but i did not have oil on the inside of the flywheel so it had to be the case and it was, it still weeps a bit but liveable

Members online