Oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9Tex

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2010 Nox with 51000 on it. In the past 3 months I have driven around 3000 miles. The other day the check engine light came on and has been idling ruff. Code was a misfire according to OnStar. I decided to check the oil and was 3 quarts down so she's loosing about 1 quart every 1000 miles. After I added the oil problems went away and check engine light went out. No leaks no blue exhaust. It's not burning it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advanced.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I would just double check to make sure the appropriate amount of fluids was added when the oil was changed previously.

oleg1981

Reaction score
change the oil and make sure its on MAX after standing the night. drive a 1000mile and check the oil! if the consumption is 1q per 1000miles i would check it!

prheaume

Reaction score
Like oleg said, change the oil or top it, drive a bit and check. According to GM, 1 qtr per 3000miles is normal.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
Agree with everyone else post...Most shops are not putting in the correct amount of oil, prime example was Thursday I had my Impala in gettings its oil change, I see the bill and notice they only charged for standard fill, so I asked the counter guy if they put in the required 6 vs 5, he looked at me confused. Stated we put what is stated from the manufacture, so I made them go out and check it...and low and behold it was WAY low. Most of your basic mechanics just put "what they used to do" in motors that have changed alot in the past few years, and honestly the oils being used do not meet the manufactures standards most of the time either

prheaume

Reaction score
That's good. I don't say all cars do that, but when you check at the oil consumption specs at the dealership, in most of the case that's they will tell you.

At BMW on some engines 1 qtr per 2000km is stated as normal, crazy!

It is like saying at the gas station : check the gas and fill up the oil please !

Members online

No members online now.